Sarah Palin!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by kodiakfrank, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Fireground

Fireground Parking the engine

Oddometer:
  2. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    No, I read it. No cites or references there.
    It's full of his opinion about Wooten and the LEO management in Alaska, but completely glosses over the fact that Palin misused her office powers.

Notice how he blows that issue completely off in this paragraph:
    See the problem with his POV?

Whether or not Wooten was a bad cop is irrelevent - she abused the power of the office.

But I guess that's ok in Alaska.
  3. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Sorry Frank. :hide
  4. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    :lol3

YOU PAY FOR TWO AND YOU GO NOW!:freaky
  5. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    :photog

[​IMG]
  6. wanderlost

wanderlost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Admittedly the muslims have killed a lot of people lately, but lets not forget the history of christianity (ie burning witches, the inquisition, the crusades Sebia), the jews (lots of dead Palestinians, lots of new settlements in what should be Palestinian half of the country), people killed by antiabortionists etc. let us also not forget the religious people killed by extremist anti-religion types ( ie Joe Stalin, communist Chinese against the Tibetans etc). The point is extreme dogmatism can be used to justify too many atrocities. Lets just have the golden rule as a guideline for behavior and treat everyone as a person instead of as a particular religious or ethnic stereotype. :clap
  7. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    "people killed by antiabortionists etc." and what about people killed by abortionists?
  8. AK Bear

AK Bear Long timer

Oddometer:

That was a very well done article. The one thing that the author failed to note was that no matter how poor a job of diciplining Wooten had been done, that dicipline had taken place prior to Monagan becoming commissioner, or for that matter, Palin taking office. To return and dicipline Wooten again after the fact would not be right or perhaps even legal. Canning his ass the next time would be just fine, and indeed should have been done with the first infraction. Had it been handeled right the first time there would never have been a problem.
  9. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    It's not all on the internet. You have to listen to the local news, not the completely goobered national accounts. It also helps to have been following Palin since she was elected as mayor, an event in which I had a small part when the local radio club didn't like the stance of the imcumbent mayor and we found a candidate more to our liking. Her opponents then sound just like her opponents now, at least they are consistent.

And I could waste a bunch of time chasing all this down but it wouldn't matter to you anyway.

One last fact to keep in mind. Branchflowers finding is an accusation, not a finding of fact or guilt. It's like a police report. The legislature would have to act on any motions of censure or impeachment, like a trial. I doubt that the big media outlets have done much of a job explaining that, at least not as far as I've heard. What I have heard from ABC radio was that she fired Wooten, not Monegan...so there you go. If you really care about this beyond the opportunity to join in the smear Palin pigpile, the info is there.
  10. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    :scratch
    I can't read about it? I have to listen to it?

What other local news outlet should I look for other than the Frontiersman?
    http://www.frontiersman.com/palin_news/

Anything NOT on this list I should be aware of?
    http://www.usnpl.com/aknews.php

I see now.
    You helped get her elected.
    No bias potential there... :rolleyes

Maybe her opponents being consistent should be a clue?
    How do you know what does and does not matter to me?
    Here, I'll help you with that erroneous assumption:

If we're talking about the Governor of Alaska, you're right. She's your problem. You elected her.
    If we're talking about the women who is currently nominated for VPOTUS, you are wrong.
    Dead wrong.
    She was NOT elected, she was nominated and we don't have a say in the matter without voting against McCain.
    See the difference?

What I sense from a lot of you guys up there is that you're taking it personally that we in the "lesser 48" as some of you so condescendingly call us might have an interest in this relatively unknown woman who is potentially gonna be the stand-in for POTUS.

And you are using the excuse that we 48ers couldn't possibly understand anything about this woman and her abuse of power scandal because the local news media chooses not to post it on the internet for all of us to read about and reach our own conclusions.

Do I have that right?

Oh? I thought you said it wasn't?
    "Smear Palin pigpile", huh?
    Nice.
    Don't you think you're taking this waaaaay to personally?

Look folks, I understand the intense desire to root for the hometown girl, but this is national politics now, the big leagues. NOBODY gets a pass in the bigs - you can't play if you can't handle the curveball.

Don't worry though, my hunch is you'll get your girl back in another week. :augie
  11. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where do you think it started? Yes, they do post it.
    The Anchorage Dailey <strike>Worker</strike> News is a much larger paper than the Frontiersman. ADN is by far the largest paper in the state.
    Go here: http://www.adn.com/front/
    It will lead you to this: http://www.adn.com/sarah-palin/ Go nuts. Maybe you will find out that everyone here is not a Palin supporter.

Nothing condescending about that. The "Lesser 48", all those much smaller states, is way South of us.
    I got a hunch that you're right. Also got a hunch that this is going to end up in CS&M if this shit keeps up. :uhoh
  12. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Well, according to KL5A that's not the whole story, and that unless we were to listen to the local news we can't understand the whole situation.

Do you agree? :dunno

I've been reading that stuff for weeks now.
    Nothing new that I can see.

:uhoh
  13. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Bad cRAsH!:deal
  14. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
  15. CruisingRam

CruisingRam Frankenbike builder

Oddometer:
    "The problem for Palin isn't ambition, it's hubris. A more grounded politician would have put in the work to match their aspirations. That Palin hasn't done that bespeaks a tremendous, even scary, overconfidence."​
    — Ezra Klein

16. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. AK Bear

AK Bear Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Raymee

Raymee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/Users/Brandon/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> "The problem for <s>Palin</s> Obama isn't ambition, it's hubris. A more grounded politician would have put in the work to match their aspirations. That <s>Palin</s> Obama hasn't done that bespeaks a tremendous, even scary, overconfidence."[FONT=&quot]<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    — Ezra Klein
  19. Fireground

Fireground Parking the engine

Oddometer:
    From the article:
    "The controversy over Governor Palin’s treatment of her former brother-in-law, Alaska State Trooper Michael Wooten, and her dismissal of former state commissioner of Public Safety Walter Monegan has led me to look at the matter as if I had been retained by a client to do so."

Ot course, your opinion has much more weight than someone who does this professionally:augie .

"I have therefore examined the full public record of the Wooten and Monegan cases, including the Wooten investigative files and the recently issued Alaska Legislative Council report that charged Governor Palin with an ethics violation for her role in the dismissal of Monegan"

Yeah, he doesn't cite or list any particluar document (in a column with a space limit). He just states everything he looked at. :huh The basement must not inspire using reading comprehension skills.

I begin to see the tint of rose you have in your glasses. Must come from listening to the hatchet job being performed quite well. Of course, the people weilding said hatchets, in and out of the state, have nothing but the best of intentions. It couldn't possibly be anything underhanded like political payback.:twitch

"The report’s finding is thus that Governor Palin should not have taken admittedly proper action against a police administrator who failed to reform a department that, among other things, excused repeated acts of admittedly intolerable officer conduct — including an act that would have been “nearly certain” to lead to criminal prosecution had it been committed by a civilian."

So, you have a choice: properly fire someone for not doing his job and risk heat for an "unpopular" decision and investigation by your "unbaised" opponents, or let him continue failing to do his job for your own safety. What do you do?

Oh, wait. You called this "abuse of power". Guess you tuck your manhood back in the safe deposit box and maintain the status quo.:rolleyes
  20. CruisingRam

CruisingRam Frankenbike builder

Oddometer:
    Fireground- her pressuring of Walt Monegan TO ACT OUTSIDE THE LAW is the issue. Wooten had been disciplined of those ALLEGATIONS that were found to have merit (most of the ALLEGATIONS were unfounded- typical in a bitter custody battle, especially against men) . He didn't get due process, unlike Ted Stevens or Sarah Palin, he was tried and convicted by his superiors in the troopers, with nothing more than a union steward to defend against the ALLEGATIONS.

So Trooper Wooten, for good or for bad, was disciplined ACCORDING TO STATE LAW AND CONTRACT.

For Monegan to take FURTHER action, it would have both broken the law and been a civil liability- you CAN NOT fire someone that has already been disciplined for the same infraction later. To do that would make Wooten a very, very rich man, because WOOTEN does NOT serve at the pleasure of the governer.

Also- these actions were taken BEFORE monegan was appointed- to GO BACK AND RE-DISCIPLINE the guy would have been an abuse of power on Monegan's part.

Monegan was a cop, and sworn to uphold the law- NOT break it on the governers word and say-so.

No, Fireground, to fire Monegan over an issue that was over before he even became the Trooper commander, would have been unethical and illegal.

The governer should have let it go- Monegan did NOTHING WRONG OR IMMORAL OR UNETHICAL- Sarah Palin and family did by pressuring him to BREAK THE LAW.

If I were governer, I know better than to pursue a personal vendetta against a former family member- that is the cost of being an elected official- you have to stop personal vendettas the moment you are elected, or don't run for office.