Sat-Nav playing silly buggers when I stray off of imported track?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by RipGroove, Jul 25, 2020.

1. RipGroove

RipGroove Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've just got rid of my TomTom Rider 400 because it gave me all sorts of problems so I've replaced it with a Garmin Zumo 595. If I imported a track to my old TomTom and strayed off of it at all for any reason such as a wrong turn or impromptu stop somewhere it would just absolutely freak out and try to send me all over the place and sometimes even try to send me back home instead of continuing on the track.

I don't want that same particular problem with the Garmin so I need to make sure I'm using it correctly, what I've done is create a track using MyRoute-App (Free browser based version) which has just 12 waypoints and exported it directly to my Garmin as a GPX 1.0 file (for some reason when I try GPX 1.1 the Garmin must recalculate my track as it changes the track a lot when imported?!). The track then shows up in my Garmin under Apps/Tracks as expected.

So if I set off on this track and happen to stray off of it for some reason what will happen:

Will the Garmin try to get me back on the closest part of the track?

Try to get me back to the previous waypoint?

Try to get me to the next waypoint?

None of the above?

Do I need manually to add a lot more waypoints when creating a track in MyRoute-App in order to make things smoother, this would obviously be extremely tedious? Or is there a way of importing a track that automatically adds a lot of way points along my created track? We like fixed tracks because we can plan exactly what roads we ride on for nice corners and views etc so we don't want the device keep changing the route along the way.
  2. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it 'recalculates' your track, then that is actually a route, not a track, correct?
    And I suspect, since the MyRoute maps is not an exact match to the Garmin maps, the Garmin is likely going to want to recalculate the route to get you back onto real roads.

I believe you need to export them as tracks, not routes.
    Or turn of auto recalculation on the GPS.
  3. RipGroove

RipGroove Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I export from MyRoute-App it does not give me a choice of track or route but the imports are showing up in the Garmin under the Tracks section of the menu so I assume they are indeed Tracks. I don't see anywhere to turn off auto recalculation in my Garmin but some calculation is required anyway in case I start off of the Track by accident, I want it to just get me back on the Track without trying all sorts of u-turns and going back on myself.
  4. RipGroove

RipGroove Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I used to import tracks/routes into my TomTom from MyRoute-App it would actually automatically import both a Route and a Track and then I would just delete whichever one I didn't want off of the device.
  5. RipGroove

RipGroove Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a least one error in that thread, maybe more, as I stopped reading pretty quickly. When the 595 recalculates, it makes a new route to the next via point, not the next shaping point.

See https://advrider.com/f/threads/basecamp-tutorial.1054359/page-19#post-40223156. It answers questions different from yours, but it has a link to the guide with the answers you need.
  7. RipGroove

RipGroove Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll do that. Also I've spent the day learning Garmins Basecamp and how the different types of waypoints work so I'm a little more informed now. I've plotted a route today while learning which contains a via-point every few miles and I've turned off auto recalculation in my Garmin so I'm hoping that if I stray off of my route that i'll either be directed to the next via-point or I'll be able to look at the screen to get back on track or a combination of both, I'll test it out in a day or two.