1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Saturday after Thanksgiving Coke Ovens Loop 2011

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by 4play, Sep 25, 2011.

1. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
    That oil spill looks less than 200ml (that's half can of Coke) before u know it it'll be wash out in z next rain fall & all tarces will disappear. The pictures is best to be removed for light minded people or snitch bitches :rofl& to avoid Q.A.
  2. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the "Trophy" and hope to keep it a loooong time! The way to "win it" hurts, alot!:deal

At least I didn't have to ride out on the back of KTMSER....But it was close! A lessor rider would have run over me!

BTW, I thought that we cleaned up the spill quite nicely?

Anyway, Be Blessed everyone!
  3. DOD

DOD rider #5

Oddometer:
    The point is that it's more important to look good than be good.

Project the picture of the oil on a large wall in the courtroom and it looks huge.

Some part of the video looks like trail cutting, I'm still not sure which, but to someone that wasn't there, that is what it looks like. In the media and in the courtroom that is more important than the truth

Anything we say sounds defensive. If we add insults to it, then our position further degrades. The worst part is that the images and subsequent banter will be used both out of context and without our knowledge. They will not include the comments about cleaning up the spill and they will certainly not include the entire thread where we blasted someone who wanted to make more trails.

The best approach is to avoid giving the bad guys any ammunition. It's like owning all of the ammunition in a firefight, if you don't give them any, they can't shoot at you.

I commend Azshtr for his post. It is good to be reminded that this is not a closed forum. I started riding dirt bikes in Arizona in about 1981 and I have seen alot of great riding areas closed.

Oh, and Happy Hanukkah to all.

-dod
  4. Fastphil38

Fastphil38 AZ Offroad

Oddometer:

I covered the oil with dirt soon after that picture was taken and that was the best I could do! Ride On! Phil
  5. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ashtr, you have a good point. It's sad that we live at a time where something so innocuous could be used to destroy the thing that brings us such fun. This group of riders are very good ambassadors for our sport. No trash gets left behind. We respect the trails and are always helping each other and other travelers when in need. I'm proud to be a part of this clan.

As the offending rider, I feel bad that it occurred, but I immediately stopped the flow, all rags used to clean it up and make repairs were carried out, and Phil covered what little that was left with dirt. It was only 1-2 ounces of oil. I'm not sure we could have done any more, in a trailside situation.

None the less, thx for the reminder of the bigger picture.
  6. azshtr

azshtr Long timer

Oddometer:
    All groups I ride with are good about caring for the environment, this one as well. I wasn't blaming anyone for a little spill so please don't think I was. Heck, you should see what comes out of a rolled Jeep... don't ask how I know :wink:

Have a great day.
  7. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    Growing up, is hard to do.
  8. DOD

DOD rider #5

Oddometer:
    No interest in growing up. when was the last time you met a grown-up that you liked?

-dod
  9. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    TP in the Bunhole.

[​IMG]
  10. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    No worries here...after all...it's hard to do...:rofl

[​IMG]

:clap...:lol3.
  11. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:
    My picture has been removed although I thought about making it look like blood...then they would be happy :norton

One last thought. I personally think making a public deal, especially when you are using derogatory labels, is worse than the actual post. I think the best way to handle these sorts of situations in the future is to privately notify the posting party and make your point to them. I know that it has been handled that way in other situations and it was cleaned up no fuss no muss.
  12. kawi380

kawi380 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just absolutely retarded that we even have to worry about this:pissed. I was probably the one of the youngest guys on the ride but I still remember when we used to "recycle" our used engine oil by dumping on the dirt road to keep the dust down. I know don't tell anyone....:bubba

I do agree that the less we give the greenies to take out of context the better.
  13. azshtr

azshtr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't simply PM you because I wasn't referring to you personally, even though one of the items happened to be your picture. My observation was one of a larger view point. Please don't take anything personally. We are loosing tons of riding areas these last few months and more will be lost I'm sure.

I switched the "derogatory" label to the official one of the site. FYYFF. But none of them are directed to you or anyone else here. This has been a constructive dialog as it was meant to be.

Thanks
  14. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    2012 Coke Ovens Loop planning: Bring your mountain bike! :evil
  15. azshtr

azshtr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just don't lube the chain on trail and post it :D
  16. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:

Nice! :rofl
  17. Montek

Montek Eternal Noob

Oddometer:
    Buddy, finally got time to post up. Great ride, great group. Evryone can ride well, take care of themsevles and their bikes, just an awesome day and group of riders. Heck even the guys that went back from the ovens showed real respect. Its hard to head back like that, you guys rock.

Monte
  18. ybracing

ybracing Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm down with that! As you could tell from Saturday I like to walk my bike up things. Can we do it in a couple of weeks? Or is to much of a good thing not so good? :rofl
  19. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or u can stick to hiking where it's nice & clean. I did 4 miles up Arrowhead mtn last Sunday with my boy on my back. If anyone like to join me i'll be do it again next Sunday that's enduro too but on ur legs:D...
  20. azshtr

azshtr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was in the company of my SO last weekend and we visited "second Chance" at 32st and Shea. While she was looking I sat and went through some books. One very large, well funded, book was called Thrillseakers. The entire book was based on motor vehicles ruining our countries outdoors. I was floored at how slanted this book was. It blasted everything motorized in the back country. It was mostly visual. The ending was a page after page of contrast, left side being "damage" caused by off roaders, the right side was a pristine scene with hikers or back packers. Off course my mind was... look, there's room for use all, we will enjoy this and you can enjoy that. But these enviro whakos are well funded and will use any ammo.

Did you know that these groups can use tax funded dollars to file suit if it involves federal land? And they do.

That's what we are up against.