Sauerkraut & Tofuwurst - Vegan bikers trotting the globe

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by kuhjunge, May 5, 2013.

1. kuhjunge

kuhjunge 3wheel enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Finland Roadtrip 2016 Episode two:
    A short visit to some old WWII fighting areas, my first couch surfing experience in Kuusamo and a quick stop-over at the polar-circle and Lapland.

spokester, Hulukko and flei like this.
  2. kuhjunge

Oddometer:
    Finland Roadtrip 2016 Episode three:
    The end of my Finland roadtrip included a biker weekend at Yyteri, Pori and a visit to the animal rescue farm Tuulispää in Somero.

hardroadking, spokester and kiwial like this.
  3. kuhjunge

Oddometer:
    Sidecar and trike day in Lahti and why a beer is better than a woman:freaky:beer

Perfect riding weather to visit the sidecar and trike day in Lahti, learned a few new things about beer and search for the famous vegan shelf in a Lahti citymarket.

hardroadking and spokester like this.
  4. kuhjunge

Oddometer:
    Well well. I now turned myself in and told the Finnish government I am back. It feels really really REALLY weird. In my mind I am still going (and I will once certain obstacles are removed). Here you can admire my new vehicle and if you want to follow what is happening then either look at my webpage www.sauerkraut-tofuwurst.com or youtube or Facebook (Veganer Vagabund). Wish me luck to get those obstacles removed:kumbaya 20160831_145134_HDR.jpg
    hardroadking, spokester and flei like this.
  5. kuhjunge

Oddometer:
    p.s. I still go biking in Europe and will post those videos also here:freaky
  6. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Super awesome! I made much of that same trip in 2006 on my R-45. You really do an excellent job of putting music to your videos! Thank you for your fantastic report :)
  7. kuhjunge

Oddometer:
    Respect for that - R45 it was my first bike and the reason I got stuck with BMW :D
    spokester likes this.
  8. kuhjunge

Oddometer:
    Motosügis2016
    I saw a few Hell Angels on the ferry. Are they coming to Motosügis? Will there be "everything" in the meeting?
  9. kuhjunge

Oddometer:
    Coming back to Finland appears difficult :-o

So, what else have I been doing during September 2016?

You can follow our life more closely by watching Skippy's youtube channel: RAWFINN
    or follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/veganervagabund/
    bmwhacker and varago like this.
  10. kuhjunge

Oddometer:
    Etelän pystymettä 2016, Iisalmi, Finland

A visit to the southern Pystymettä (translate into "Southern standing-up forest") - a weekend in the middle of the woods (28.-30.Oct.). It was great as always!:kumbaya:beer

tallrider likes this.
  11. hyrumfoink

hyrumfoink real gone~

Oddometer:
    hi wolfie.....nice to see you again! looks like a bit of a wet romp in da woods. must be fun to meet up with fellow hacksters......thanks for posting!......chris
    kuhjunge likes this.
  12. kuhjunge

Oddometer:
    Pystymettä is always like that - being in the middle of the woods:D
  13. kuhjunge

Oddometer:
    On the road again...

Sidecar roadtrip to Murmansk - part 1 from Lohja to Kem

14. kuhjunge

Oddometer:
    Sidecar roadtrip to Murmansk - part 2 Solovetsky Islands, Kem - Monchegorsk

flei, DirtBrain and spokester like this.
  15. kuhjunge

Oddometer:
    Sidecar roadtrip to Murmansk - part 3 Monchegorsk to Murmansk

flei and spokester like this.
  16. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Nice to see you on the road again.
    kuhjunge likes this.
  17. kuhjunge

Oddometer:
    Yes - the call of the road was big ;)
    I hope everything is ok at home and say hi to your ladies :)
    flei likes this.
  18. kuhjunge

Oddometer:
    Sidecar roadtrip to Murmansk - part 4 from Murmansk to Lohja

And then we had a long way back home with a few surprises :D
  19. kuhjunge

Oddometer:
    Aftermath of the Final drive on my sidecar

Ok folks. Lets look at the history repair data to gain an overview on what happenend. This is the first time I see the data myself in such a comprehensive format. When looking at my repair table, I could not see this as clear as I see it here since there were all repairs listed.

upload_2017-8-24_12-26-36.png

In the beginning the sidecar was fully loaded. We rode through the curvy Alpes, the bad roads in Africa as well as the curvy roads in the US. All the adventure fun trips e.g. Death Valley, Cinnamon Pass were done with an almost empty sidecar (low load).

In Mexico, I change the bearing for the first time with improvised tools and methods. I did change the rear wheel drive oil after about 1000km at the first change.

[​IMG]

The shimming was checked and adjusted when all bearings were changed (Jul2016). The bike was never as fully loaded as during the RTW trip. Furthermore I was only riding in Finland (there are no real curves in Finland like in Alpes, Rockies or Andes).

At our trip to Russia, the sidecar had a bit more load again and in the beginning the roads in Karelia felt a bit more curvy. After I changed the bearing the last time with the used bearing, I drove only very straight roads back home so the stress on the system was likely very small.

Interpretation
    However when looking at the facts it becomes obvious that something was wrong in paradise for a long time.
    My dear friend and supporter Guy suggested that the housing cover (BMW 3311233003) has widened and does not give enough support for the bearing anymore thus the big ball bearing gets eaten. It seems that housing cover already got damaged in the first break down and ever since it had eaten the bearing.

[​IMG]

Conclusion
    The only conclusion I can take here is that when changing the big ball bearing on a sidecar it is better to also change the housing cover as well. The sideforces on a sidecar are enourmous especially with load in combination with curvy roads.

I have not seen ride reports of people who make so many km on a GS rig. It would be nice to exchange experiences with fellow hack owners. The next trip is coming for sure and I need to get the required spare parts on board :)
  20. Muscongus

Muscongus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the final drive repair information. I'm just building an R1150gs based rig and looking for a 37/11 final drive.
    Looking forward to watching your Murmansk road trip videos this evening. Expecting great stuff from you as usual!
    Jack
    kuhjunge likes this.