Savannah River Rambling

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by wawarides, Mar 11, 2012.

1. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report and photos. You'all have some beautiful areas to ride, sure looks like you had a great time.
  2. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Great report and pics/thanks for taking the time!
  3. mr.jadkowski

mr.jadkowski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just thought I'd mention that some of us from the coastal empire are going to ride this area on Sunday, if anyone wants to join!
  4. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a great RR...beautiful area and very interesting historical info also.

My wife and I were stationed in Georgia many years ago, but we weren't there long enough to do much exploring in the area. We missed out.

Thanks for sharing this!
  5. MacG

MacG Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent report! Thanks :thumb
  6. Reverend12

Reverend12 Well there it is..

Oddometer:
    :thumbGreat RR !
  7. wawarides

wawarides where's Laura0107? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oooh, the Coastal Empire gang has resurrected my old thread. I hope y'all have an awesome ride on Sunday!

Thanks for the kind comments, gumshoe4 and Reverend12.
  8. turbomax

turbomax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great read!! I am moving to Rincon, about 10miles south of Clyo. I was worried because of the lack of mountains but it looks like I will still have some fun.

Sent from me using my fingers
  9. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lauar0107, been all over this area since reading your original post early last year. Visited many sand roads, wonderful old churches, and the hunting lodge with the Underground Railroad chimney in the Webb WMA. Thanks for highlighting this area of history and beauty.
  10. Tillmonkey

Tillmonkey n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey I live in a burb of savannah, how did you find the dirt roads to plan this trip? I just recently (2 weeks ago) got my first dual sport and am looking to get out and do some exploring. i have been driving and find a dirt road that usually ends in someones front yard or no trespassing. did you have to get a map that shows what roads are paved and which are not? thanks!

ps. this is the first time i have ever said anything on a forum everÂ… i hope I'm doing this ok:1drink
  11. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM wii be sent with directions.
  12. wawarides

wawarides where's Laura0107? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Tillmonkey,

I'm sure Rutabaga will send you some good stuff. This particular trip, I just cobbled it together late the night before using Google Maps and Street View to draw tracks in Garmin Mapsource. As mentioned above, I was probably a few places I shouldn't have been. Even if a dirt road isn't on Street View, a lot of time where it intersects with a paved road will be, so you can click around at intersections with SV looking for dirt. Depending on where you want to go, some resources that will help you plan trips with maximum legal dirt are county road maps, National Geographic maps, USFS Motorized Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMS), Delorme Atlas & Gazetteers, SCDNR Wildlife Management Area maps (or the GA equivalent), ride reports, and tracks available in the GPS section on here. Hook up with the Coastal Empire Tag-o-Rama crew or at least read that thread. Inmate sdthorpe left a nice little gem in the A.A.R.S.E. thread recently with some dirt heading up the Georgia side of the river from Savannah. If you ever decide to head up into SC for a weekend, check out the "SC Dirt" link in my signature which is 400-500 miles containing lots of dirt. Check out this site: http://www.esscape.com/ . Send a PM to rmarkr. And the most fun of all, just ride around with no particular place to be and take every dirt road you haven't yet traveled. If you're not into GPS stuff, at the end of an exploration ride like that, just keep some notes or mark up a Google Map and save it. Hope this has given you some ideas to get you going!
  13. seapro25

seapro25 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey I am new to this site and looking for places to ride and people to ride with. Are you guys/gals still riding? I will head ti these roads this week around wednesday and see if I can find them. look forward to hearing from y'all...
  14. New2Moto

New2Moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in Hilton Head and new to riding, there are a bunch of people from this area from Savannah to Charleston who are around the forum as well. Welcome!

I have a honda crf250L, PM me if you wanna ride up north of Savannah sometime! I have been searching for off road areas near me and have a few that need exploring :D
  15. RockyNH

RockyNH Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer:

Laura, I know the thread is old but being knew to the area... I found it very informative. Thank You!

Pat in Pooler