Save the Date- October 9-11 Razorback Riders present Rally @ The Rock in Combs, AR

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by kendall_smith, Jul 15, 2015.

1. kendall_smith

kendall_smith Motion-Activated

Oddometer:

That's a good question, Tim. I'm glad you asked since my plan is to concentrate on the "little bike" routes for the time being. Are there any routes on the SLAP Tracks thread that would be "medium bike" friendly? For example- minimal pavement, scenic gravel, not much (or any) technical hard riding?

I'm thinking we will be breaking the ride opportunities down as such:

1. Single track- this will be led by a club member and will be for riders who want dirt-only trail riding opportunities. We will not be providing .gpx tracks for this group since it will be led by a club member and the route will vary depending on what he wants to lead riders on.

2. "Little bike" ride- I have a couple of tracks that I am working on that will consist of mostly ATV trails and minimally travelled Forest Service roads. These will be open to street legal dual sports, but will offer some challenging terrain that will be most suitable for street legal smaller dirt bikes. There will be minimal if any pavement and very little gravel, but quite a bit of trail on these routes. I will be providing .gpx tracks for these rides.

3. "Medium bike"- this is where I see the SLAP tracks thread and any suggestions you fellow locals might have coming into play. It would be best if we could provide some tracks that consist of minimal pavement and lots of scenic "easy" gravel roads that will be do-able on larger dirt-oriented dual sport bikes (DR 650, KLR, etc.) It would be a big bonus if these tracks also had some local attractions on them with things for people new to the area to experience. I'm open to suggestions on this, as I was planning on laying out some tracks of this nature, but may be pressed for time since the event is rapidly approaching.

4. "Big bike"- this ride will also be led by a club member and will consist of mostly pavement with some gravel mixed in. Most likely, anyone visiting the area with a good AR highway map should be able to put together a good ride of this nature just by picking a twisty line on the map and checking it out. I don't think we'll be providing .gpx tracks for this one as well since it should be relatively easy for anyone visiting the area to find good paved roads and easy gravel to ride on.
  2. Valentino Magoo

Valentino Magoo Like a speeding slug Supporter

Oddometer:
    SLAP track thread we'll be fine for both medium bikes and street riding....lots if street rides posted. But, you are right, any twisty road on the map works.

How many registered? I don't see any chatter in the public area of the RR forum.
  3. RGoree

RGoree RG

Oddometer:
    I may have missed it, but what is the location of your campground?
  4. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    We are just south of the town of Combs, AR. I was messing around on google maps the other day and they actually have our facility marked on their maps as "White Rock Enduro".
  5. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    I need to follow up with Shelley to see how many we have registered currently. The last update I got at the September meeting didn't have that many names on it, but I figure there will be a good amount of people that register shortly before the event. If not, we'll definitely have that small, personal feel to the rally! There may be more club members present than participants! :lol3

That being said, this may be a good time to mention that pre-registration (including t-shirt reservations) will be closing a week or so before the event. We will need time to get the t-shirts printed that were reserved.
  6. jowannab

jowannab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Kendall i just ran the PHBR in so. part of Mo... told everyone that would listen.. Seig who put it on had probaly 40 or so rider everything from two strokes to 1200 bmw...
  7. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the PR work, Coy!

I just got an update on the pre-registration and we are sitting at 22 pre-entrants, so a little less than I was expecting at this point. I know a lot of people will have to wait until right up to the week before the event, so I'm expecting at least a few late entrants.
  8. BigDeal

BigDeal oh yeah.

Oddometer:
    this # also does not include club memebers that are attending the rally.
  9. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Really thinking about going to this event or the Long Pool the following weekend, just depends on my peeps schedules. I need to figure it out soon as my son has to notify his work to get weekend off. We have experience riding the area from camp and rides out of Mulberry Mtn. I do have a question though, your place is connected to Mill Creek OHV area but will there be any dirt bike rides going south and west of the M.C. area? Like maybe White Rock Mtn. area trails or around St. Paul (wanna try the BBQ place there) or Frog Bayou, stuff on the west side of 23 hwy?
    Thanks Greg
  10. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    We'd love to have you and your buddies come down to our rally. I think I may have met you at the Oark Cafe when I was riding with the TARKC riders on the same weekend as you and your crew.

Your timing on asking about where the routes go is perfect! I'm actually about to head out the door for the RR campground and I am hoping to get at least one of the "little bike" routes completed this weekend if not both. In particular, I am going to work on the one that will go into and out of Frog Bayou first. My plan is to have one .gpx route that goes west of the campground for both the "little bike" and "medium bike" groups and one that goes east for each group, so we will be on both sides of highway 23 with our routes. Outside of that, we should have some local club members that can lead some groups on other roads and trails, so if the .gpx routes don't interest or work out for you, we should be able to have you covered.

Hope to see you guys there!
  11. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    Alright! The rally is less than 2 weeks away, so it is time to start getting ready to ride some great roads and trails in the Ozark National Forest!

I had a good weekend of riding and managed to get the west "little bike" loop completed, so I will have that ready for those of you guys who like rocks! For those of you guys and gals wanting some gnarly little bike riding, I think I've nailed that with this track. I was hoping to get the east "little bike" track laid out this weekend as well, but I ran out of time. I plan to go out sometime this week to lay it out and it should be a little more forgiving than the west track.

As for the other aspects of the rally, the club is hard at work getting ready to welcome all the attendants. We should be getting t-shirts printed up in a week or so, Saturday night's feast is being planned, and the tracks are coming along slowly but surely.

I took some teaser shots of the campground facility and I think we are going to have beautiful conditions for some riding if the weather is anything like this weekend!

Entrance to the campground:

[​IMG]

Looking out from the clubhouse:

[​IMG]

The creek behind the clubhouse:

[​IMG]

Our "single track" bridge:

[​IMG]

Clubhouse/playground area:

[​IMG]

As for registration, the plan is to leave it open until right up to the event, but we will have to cut off the t-shirt option in about a week, so if you're wanting to get an event shirt you'll need to register in the next couple of days.

Other than that, let me know if you guys have any questions that I can help with. If not, we'll see you at the rally!
    OklahomaRider likes this.
  12. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kendall sounds like you are working hard to organize everthing, not sure if I met you at Oark or not but your ride plan for the west (gnar) sounds good to me. BTW we are not GPS savy but if you agree will fall in in behind you as our guide. We are capable experineced riders, not racers, but will go anywhere you can point a dirtbike. It just comes down to schedules and logistics at this point, but I am dying to go. 4-5 riders on 250-450 cc dirt mules some plated some not.

EDIT-- I really like your camp/ clubhouse setup.
  13. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    We hope to see you there!

We'll be having some members (myself included) doing some guided rides for those riders that aren't GPS savvy, so that shouldn't be a problem at all.
  14. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    Here's some teaser helmet camera pictures from the "little bike" west track that I laid out this past Saturday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    OklahomaRider likes this.
  15. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    Pre-registration will be open right up until the event, but there will be no option for ordering a t-shirt as of Friday, October 2. If you are wanting to order a shirt with your pre-registration, make sure to do it before next Friday! This is to allow us enough time to get the shirts that have been ordered printed.

We will still have the option of registering at the gate when you arrive, but keep in mind that the cost will be $10 extra over the pre-registration price, so $85 total. There will be a few extra t-shirts at the event, but they will be limited on what sizes and first come, first serve.
  16. BigDeal

BigDeal oh yeah.

Oddometer:
    Kendal, I heard you saw a bear while out riding last weekend. If so that's the third one (that I know of) a club member has seen this year while riding.
  17. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    I did! I actually had my GoPro running on the 10 second still picture mode, but ended up missing the shot. It was actually only a couple of miles from camp and I was by myself at that point. I came around a corner and there he/she was right in the middle of the road about 50 feet from me staring right at me. I got a really good look at its tan muzzle and then it turned and barreled into the woods. I actually looked over as I rode by and we were running parallel for a while until I couldn't look to the side anymore. That's definitely the closest I've gotten to one. I just wish the GoPro would have taken a shot right when I saw it- it would've been an awesome picture to have!
  18. BPrince

BPrince Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw a bear during Slap....
    Any chance for a discount for a husband /wife , we'll be staying in the same campsite. :-) at $150 + for a couple, it's pretty expensive.
  19. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain, BPrince! My wife rides too, which is awesome except for the part where you have to buy 2 of everything! :lol3

I'm not really authorized to give discounts, although I'd like to help you out, but we've already got several participants that are sharing campsites that all paid separately, so it wouldn't be fair to them.

I hope you guys can justify coming- I think you'll have a good time and forget about the price while you're riding!
  20. BPrince

BPrince Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We'll probably be there, 2 strokes, single track. Hopefully find some others to ride with.