Save the Date- October 9-11 Razorback Riders present Rally @ The Rock in Combs, AR

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by kendall_smith, Jul 15, 2015.

1. RGoree

RGoree RG

Oddometer:
    Great Pics Kendal. I got excited to try and take my bike big in those places until I saw some of the real (big) rocky areas. I hope there are some good challenging places for the bike bikes to try...
    BigDeal likes this.
  2. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    I like the pics and the terrain !
    BigDeal likes this.
  3. kendall_smith

kendall_smith Motion-Activated

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comment! As usual, the GoPro pictures don't do the terrain justice. A really good rider on a big bike could do that whole track (we've all seen the Chris Birch videos where he makes an 1190 look like a trials bike :lol3) but it could make for a long day if someone got in too deep before they realized they were way beyond their skill level on a 500+ lb. bike.

I'll go ahead and use your comment as an excuse to go into my somewhat blow-hardy Arkansas terrain rant. I actually sold my 990 shortly after buying our house in AR because I had done enough exploring on lightweight DS bikes and dirt bikes to know that when you aimlessly wander in the terrain around here, inevitably you end up going IN to somewhere that you can't get OUT of, at least on a heavy bike. I love big bikes, but would use extreme caution doing any "gnarly" AR terrain on one until I got a good idea of what could potentially be out there that I might have to ride back up. There is always a possibility that the trail you are riding with the ledge drop-offs that aren't so bad going down will dead end and you will have to come back UP those drops that now look like an impossibility from the bottom of the mountain. I'm not saying any of this to scare anyone off, but just keep it in mind when riding in this area and know your limits.

That being said, my buddy BigDeal is working on laying out the "medium bike" tracks and we discussed sending the western track over to Pannell Rd. and Warloop Rd., which both are a good, do-able challenge for a good rider on a big bike. I have yet to lay out the eastern "little bike" track, but it will be quite a bit easier than the western "little bike" track and will probably be do-able for a good rider on a big bike. I would not recommend the western "little bike" track for anyone but a very good rider on a big bike. There are some rock garden creek crossings and a pretty good ledge drop (3+ feet) going into the Frog Bayou sections that will probably give decent riders on smaller, lighter bikes trouble and it is no place for a 500 lb. bike with a skid plate 8 inches off the ground!

No matter what, we should be able to point you toward some great riding that you will enjoy, so come on down and have a great time!
  4. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That is a fun loop and I'm planning on laying out the eastern "little bike" loop this Friday, so I'll have more updates and pics for you guys as soon as I can.
  5. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    That shouldn't be a problem. You'll enjoy the single track tour that we have planned for those that want to check it out.
  6. RGoree

RGoree RG

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback and information. I am still finding my limits on this big bike. It amazes me every time I try something I did on a regular basis on the motorcross bikes (which I owned for many years) that I thought was gonna be impossible on the big bike. That being said, although I want some challenges, I will heed to those of you who know the area and will keep me from being stupid.

I am so looking forward to this trip.
  7. jowannab

jowannab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Kendall,, how far beween Gas is availble???
  8. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    That' a great question, Coy. Gas availability is somewhat limited in the area. I am purposely limiting the "little bike" routes to less than 100 miles since most of the bikes doing those routes will have limited range. The west "little bike" loop is around 70 miles and I did it on my stock DR-Z tank and had about 3/4 of a gallon of gas left (of 2.6 gallons total), if not a bit more. I have yet to lay out the east "little bike" route, but it will most likely pass through Oark, where there is 87 octane gas available, not to mention it should be less than 100 miles as well.

As for gas availability for the "medium bike" and "big bike" rides, the main gas stations in the area are Oark and Turner's Bend on highway 23. Other than that, gas is available west of camp in various areas (Crosses, AR/Elkins, AR/etc.) and south if you get all the way down near Clarksville.

It will be a good idea to always leave the campground with a full tank regardless of what bike/route/etc. you will be riding and all participants that are able to should bring extra gas with them. If you are riding in to camp and cannot bring gas with you, it would be best to plan your rides starting towards Turner's Bend since it is the closest gas station. There may be gas in the town of St.Paul, but I've never personally gotten gas there and not sure if the pump out front works or not.
  9. bamamate

bamamate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The registration page says up to 3 nights of camping. Is that Thurs, Fri, Sat night or Fri, Sat, Sun nights?
    Will there be led rides Fri, Sat, and Sun?
  10. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    That is for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. We figured we'd give people the option of coming in a bit early (Thursday) in case that helped them justify the travel to get there. I will be at the campground either Wednesday or early Thursday, so feel free to show up anytime on Thursday and we'll get you checked in.

Actually, keep an eye on your email for an update to all of the registered members. I am planning on sending out a message with directions and any updates as well as attaching the .gpx tracks after I get them finished. I should have that sent out by no later than Sunday night.

As for led rides, I think we were officially planning on having those on Saturday and Sunday, but if there are any members around earlier than Saturday that can show you around we can make that happen as well.
  11. bamamate

bamamate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kendall. Now I have an excuse to take off work on Friday!!!!

Still have to figure out if I'm riding big bike up there or throwing small bike in the truck.
  12. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    I'm glad we could help you get out of some work!

As for which bike to bring, it is kind of a coin toss. There is great riding in the area for either, but I will say that you can't go wrong with some little bike riding in the area.
  13. BigDeal

BigDeal oh yeah.

Oddometer:
    Another thing to keep in mind with a big bike is that if you are looking at a map and think you can escape by a road on the map instead of backtracking... Don't count on it! there are several roads washed out or that have fallen trees over them.

Another option that we have not mentioned is the Mill Creek riding area or commonly referred to as "the blue loop" it is a 30'ish mile loop with 40 or so miles in the whole trail system counting the shortcuts or inner connecting trails. We have a map and kiosk in our camp. (it's a $3 fee for the forest service day use permit). The blue loop is mostly what Kendal and I would call easy trial riding but it has some challenging sections. Lots of small bikes ride it and I think it would be a good ride for a medium bike or a skilled big bike rider. YMMV
  14. BigDeal

BigDeal oh yeah.

Oddometer:
    another note: cell phone signal is little to non existent at camp. Kendal and I have cell phone boosters that we use at camp and with mine I can normally get a text message out but no calls. I'm not even sure where the closest place to get a signal is.. So if your family members are expecting calls at night to let them know you are still alive and having fun you should let them know that may not happen.

If anyone want's to use my booster to get a text out you are welcome to it. I have the small bright orange camper.
  15. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    I hope that I might see some of you guys out in the woods..I will be out and about :ricky
  16. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    Hey Doc! I'd be willing to bet you might see a couple of motorcycles out and about! We're up to 32 pre-paid registrants, so the chances are getting better by the day. :D
  17. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  18. BigDeal

BigDeal oh yeah.

Oddometer:
    So I have the medium bike tracks done. If you are an experienced rider they are doable on a big bike and I think would be a good challenge. before you take off on one ask Kendal or myself for suggestions on witch way to run some of these roads and we can tell you where the gnarly sections are and what direction to take a loop to hit them going downhill (if that's what you want). We can also tell you a road nearby to take a ride on and if you like that then you'll have a great time and if not then what sections to avoid.

on a side note Kendal's wife has run most of and would run any of the small bike tracks on a DR-650. but, she is kind of hardcore.
  19. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    :lol3 She does pretty well, but I usually just tell her "you'll be fine" when we come to difficult stuff and she must believe me! Not to mention, that DR makes the perfect gnarly terrain wife bike.

:hide
  20. OklahomaRider

OklahomaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm registered. I guess I better get the new skins on the bike and give her the once over.