Save the Date- October 9-11 Razorback Riders present Rally @ The Rock in Combs, AR

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by kendall_smith, Jul 15, 2015.

1. kendall_smith

kendall_smith Motion-Activated

Oddometer:
    Not a bad idea. After tomorrow's scouting ride for the east little bike loop, my DR-Z is going to get a new rear K270 and a good going-over to make sure it is ready for a few days worth of riding.

We'll see you at the rally!
    OklahomaRider likes this.
  2. OklahomaRider

OklahomaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how are the k270 fronts? I'm putting on my second rear 270 but thought I would try the front this go around.
  3. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    It's pretty good. I would say it's like the rear- pretty good at everything, but doesn't excel at any one thing. With the lack of large side knobs, the bite in dirt isn't as good as a Trackmaster, for example, but we don't have a whole lot of dirt around here. It's mostly rocks as you'll find at the rally, unless you're already aware of that! I will say that the wear does seem to be good. I run the K270 front and rear on my DR and DR-Z and it appears that the front is going to last for at least 2 rears if not 3, at least on the DR-Z. The DR sees a bit more pavement and the torquey motor seems to eat rears a little faster, so it will probably get 3 rears for every front.
  4. OklahomaRider

Oddometer:
    sweet. thanks. see you at the rally
  5. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    The time for the rally is getting near! A couple of fellow riders and I got the east "little bike" track done yesterday and it turned out to be LITTLE BIKE ONLY. :D

It is 70 miles total from the beginning of the track at camp to the lunch spot at the Catalpa Cafe and a large percentage of it is bush-whacking single track and ATV width trail, so riders doing this track will want to be on light bikes that they can get over multiple logs and through some thick brush. At one point yesterday, another rider and I had to launch our bikes over a 3.5' diameter log (see GoPro pics below), although there is a tight go-around so you won't be required to clear that log. After lunch, the track brings you back on highway 215 to 23 and over back on to ATV trails in the Mill Creek OHV system and back to camp. Riders that want to avoid pavement can always ride the track backwards if they want.

Here's some teaser pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    I am planning on sending out an email this evening to all of the pre-registered members with the tracks attached and a description of each, so keep an eye on your email for that update if you are already registered for the event.

On that subject, BigDeal went out yesterday in his Jeep and scouted several parts of the "Big Bike" track that he put together and he was pretty excited about how it turned out. For those wanting a mellower ride with some great scenery along the way, it sounds like the big bike track is going to deliver! I'll let him expand on that if he wants.
  7. flattopwill

flattopwill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If someone can only attend one day of the rally are they still required to pay full price? Due to work schedule I can only attend Sunday's ride.
    SirWinston119 likes this.
  8. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    I am kind of just the messenger for the rally info, as in I am not able to make calls like that without discussing it further with other club members. As far as I know, this question has not been asked yet, so I can see what the others say about a "partial" rally pass. Our next club meeting is this Tuesday, so I will know more by then.

Just out of curiosity, are you fairly local to the area? I'm asking because it seems that in order to justify coming for one day, you must be close by and if that is the case, I could show you around the area sometime outside the rally if that works better for you. Also, I would imagine that the rally will be mostly winding down by Sunday, so I'm not sure if you'd get much value even at a discounted price. I'm not trying to run you off, but it might be something to consider. I just don't want anyone to feel like they got ripped off! :lol3
  9. flattopwill

flattopwill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ya, I live about 45 mins from the RR camp area. This is my first year riding dual sport so I want to meet some new people, learn some new riding routes and seem some kit. Unfortunately I have to work 5a-5p on Saturday
  10. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    must be a neighbor of mine..:patch
  11. RGoree

RGoree RG

Oddometer:
    Great pics Kendall. Makes me wish I had a small bike to go along with the big one. Mmm; maybe someone will want to take the big bike out for a few while I try.... Well let's just see how the days go. :lobbyEither way, this is gonna be a great time.
  12. Tourbus

Tourbus Lost but not worried

Oddometer:
    Coming from the north. Whats the condition of HWY 23?If still blocked best way from Springfield MO.

Thanks Butch
  13. flattopwill

flattopwill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The RR campground is north of the blockage on 23.
  14. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    The closure of Highway 23 is just north of the town of Cass, AR, right near the intersection of 23 and Highway 215. As far as getting to our campground it will only affect people coming from the south, so you will be fine taking your normal route from Springfield.

For those that would normally use 23 to come into our campground from the south, your best option would be to stay on I-49 and take it north to Highway 16 and come across through Elkins, Durham, Crosses then Combs.

If you are coming from the south and east and are not planning on taking I-49, then you would want to come up Highway 21 to Highway 16 through Clarksville, Boston, and Pettigrew to Combs.

As for the closure affecting the riding that you do while in the area, we have purposely laid our routes out so they avoid the closure. If you end up exploring and find yourself at the closure, it is my understanding that a motorcycle can get through there now, but that is up to each person to decide whether it is worth it or not. If the construction crews (I think they are working Saturdays, but not Sundays) are present they may not be too thrilled with traffic coming through while they are trying to work, not to mention you have to ride past several pretty obvious "ROAD CLOSED" signs to get to that point. If there is a law enforcement element to it, you could also be looking at getting a ticket riding through there, so it would be best to avoid it at all reasonable costs.
    DrLewall likes this.
  15. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    The official event email with .gpx tracks attached has been sent out to all who pre-registered. If you are pre-registered and did not get the email, let me know and I will figure out why it did not go through.
  16. OklahomaRider

Oddometer:
    No email yet
  17. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    no email needed..I know my way around here! :D

:hide
  18. kendall_smith

Oddometer:

:lol3 If you're looking for something to do this weekend, you're welcome to come out and show some folks around if you want. We've got a few members of the club that are going to lead rides, but I don't see how more guides would be a bad thing!
  19. kendall_smith

Oddometer:
    Shoot me a pm with your name and email address you used to register and I'll see why you weren't on my list.
  20. BigDeal

BigDeal oh yeah.

Oddometer: