Saving my knee, DR350 fusion...

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by dbarale, Sep 16, 2019.

1. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    I am just posting this to document what I am doing, it helps me for future reference. Feel free to tag along. Sarcastic comments and unsolicited advice are appreciated...

So, I got this bike about 8 years ago and rebuilt it into a supermoto. The build was detailed here:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/dr350-supermoto-project-on-a-klr-budget.742198/

Since then I had two kids and turned it into a dual sport. I love this bike but I cannot keep riding it. My messed up right knee does not allow me to ride a kicker anymore if I want to avoid a very expensive knee surgery...

I do not have the SUMO wheels anymore. The mileage is unknow but less than 5k miles since the rebuilt. At that time it got a Wiseco piston, new cam chain and tensioners, new exhaust valves.

It's a 1990 DR350S, kickstart only.
    The bike has a bunch of goodies on it:
    - Vortex airbox with new filter
    - FMF exhaust
    - Springs and gold valves front
    - Revalved shock
    - Brush guards
    - Skid plate
    - DR650 pegs
    - IMS (I think) oversized tank
    - Probably some other stuff I forgot

Last year I rebuilt the carb with a new slide, slide guide, needle, jets, o-rings, etc.
    It runs well and pulls very strongly.

It still have a bunch of stock parts: clean gas tank, passenger pegs, grab handle, license tag holder, etc.

I originally put it up for sale as-is, asking too much. I got little interest but I was offered to buy back a very clean 1996 e-start that I had restarted a while ago for very little money.

The plan now is to combine (over the next few weeks) this ‘90 kicker and the ‘96 e-start. The final goal is a barely legal, dirt oriented, e-start bike that is as light as an old tractor can be...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The '90 is going back to mostly stock and will be sold cheaply.
    local1, JagLite, Pezz_gs and 3 others like this.
  2. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    I remember your super moto build, in fact I’m pretty sure you sent me the original front brake bracket. My buddy has it...been stalling on his GS wheel conversion.

Looking forward to seeing you get this project done.
  3. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    I sold the sumo wheels after touching the peg (or the kickstand?) on a left hand turn. I was riding way too fast for the street...
    JagLite, Pezz_gs and tntmo like this.
  4. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Stuff to be swapped to the e-start:
    - Skidplate
    - Big tank
    - DR650 pegs
    - Barkbusters
    - Dirt type grab handle (alloy and much lighter)
    - Suspension bits
    - Seat (taller with added foam)
    - Muffler (maybe, still undecided)

Stuff to be re-installed on the kicker:
    - stock tank
    - stock pegs
    - turn signals
    - S model grab bar

Stuff to be sold/traded:
    - Vortex airbox
    - Stock muffler
    - Factory rear rack

I will also do a starter relay delete on the e-start, replace the headlight with a chinese POS just to be street legal, replace the battery with a LiFO, all for weight savings. But first, I need to take for a quick ride and see how it runs.

Good news on the weight loss side is that the rear wheel is the non-cush model (which is fine for my use), and that it already has the smaller starter type which is much lighter than the larger one.

55F57BA4-E217-441D-AD6C-1F527ED8D8A5.jpeg
    JagLite likes this.
  5. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    I had a similar experience with a KTM Duke 2
    Got home after a spirited ride and thought I’m going to run out of talent real quick and hurt myself. Sold the bike the next week
    Still miss it. Was too much fun :lol3
    dbarale likes this.
  6. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Did a little work yesterday. I charged the battery but it is shot and it will need a new one. That’s OK, I want to go with lithium anyway to save weight.
    I jumped it from my truck and it started right away. No smoke or noises but it won’t rev cleanly unless the choke is on. It should be an easy fix.

Then I started taking stuff off the SE. That bike is surprisingly clean and unmolested. It still has the stock airbox and muffler, and even the stickers on the rear fender. All the hardware is clean and correct.

0EFE60A9-4C31-427F-805E-5F0F62DFFB87.jpeg

B2EF5D09-3A2D-465A-A283-C29E7B1BAF78.jpeg

C464FA02-1E14-498C-8A14-DBD9FDFAA7B5.jpeg

I kept going for a bit until I ran out of time.

EC27A628-E9A7-41A9-A79F-36A5FCAB42D4.jpeg
    jays100, JagLite and lmpl like this.
  7. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Not much to show for a lot of work. I recently rebuilt the forks on the SE so I was originally just going to swap the heavier springs and gold valves into those forks.
    ....until I remembered that the internals are drilled to accommodate the gold valves.

Yeah, so, won’t work.

In the end I swapped the forks between bikes. Which means I will be selling the kicker with freshly rebuilt forks. Oh, well. It’s a good selling point I guess.

I lubed the steering head bearings on the SE and removed headlight and dash while I was at it.

Removed the Vortex airbox from the kicker so it can be sold to help finance the project.

5B7F12F2-1ED9-4025-82F1-15160475CE38.jpeg

FAC6063A-F397-4BEA-99A4-95CF9BAC0342.jpeg

I already have a buyer who’s also sending me his stock airbox so it can go in the kicker.
    I removed the factory rack from the SE, it will probably be sold too. Installed the dirt grab bar on the SE and S grab bar on the kicker.

Took the Clarke tank off the kicker and roughly re-installed the stock one just for a quick pic. Just to have an idea of what it will look like when it’s sold.

1BE546FC-78AD-4C12-9240-3037CCF6C5D3.jpeg
    JagLite likes this.
  8. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    And yes, my garage is a disaster...
  9. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Found four matching, brand new turn signals in a box. So they’re going on the kicker:

C169C018-1A0F-4419-AD67-D84CDE743804.jpeg

Yeah for free stuff. But on the other hand:

B59648E3-0B68-4100-8C20-F889846DBFC6.jpeg

That won’t work... So I ordered a brand new one (throttle cable). Nice new parts for whoever is buying it.
    JagLite likes this.
  10. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Kicker is almost done, I just need to find the LED flasher relay that I know I have, somewhere...

IMG_2758.JPG IMG_2759.JPG IMG_2761.JPG
    JagLite and layzrider like this.
  11. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    And the SE is getting there. New headlight, grips, handlebars, removed the instrument cluster and made a bracket for the keyed ignition. Dug a tail light out of the parts pile, and installed it. It started right up but I think the float valve is leaking. Didn't really have a chance to mess with it as it started raining as soon as I got it out...

IMG_2748.JPG LDMG8386.JPG OULT7456.JPG
    JagLite likes this.
  12. buzzword

buzzword Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    soooo you’re selling that Vortex, huh?
  13. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Sorry, it's already gone...
    buzzword likes this.
  14. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    watching
  15. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    The kicker is ready to go with the exception of the turn signal relay. I can’t find the one I know I had, so I ordered another one...
    I took it for a short ride and it still runs great. Hurts to sell it.

It hurts even more because I then took the SE for a ride. Made it to the end of the street, pushed it back home. It stumbles badly and doesn’t want to rev. I suspect high float bowl level or leaky o rings, even though they’re pretty new. I ordered a new battery, that will make troubleshooting easier as I won’t have to jumpstart it from my truck.

I also found out that the battery wasn’t charging, cleaning the contacts of the rec/reg plug seems to have fixed that issue.
  16. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    The kicker is sold, I will miss that bike, the power delivery was just great, but...
    A local kid bought it, he was thrilled so that made me feel a little better. So now I have some funds to put towards the SE but I am taking the kids camping this weekend. Nothing to see here.
    I did order a new battery though.
    Fast Idle and plugeye like this.
  17. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Another non-update: I am having some serious remorse right now. The bike I sold ran fine and the SE, well, doesn’t run. It starts right up and revs up ok. Then it starts stumbling and will no longer rev. Finally it dies and won’t restart. I was thinking fuel level but it’s not leaking out. Maybe electrical?
    So freaking frustrated ...
  18. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hang in there, you'll get it figured out!