Scala Rider G4 vs Sena SMH10 Intercom Range Test

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by cyclebot, Jan 6, 2011.

1. cyclebot

cyclebot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys just wanted to report back on our findings of a test we conducted on the Scala Rider G4 and Sena SMH10. I was suspicious of all the marketing for these things and knew that they would not transmit the distances they claim in a suburban/urban environment where I have been using them.( So Cal)

<object height="385" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VxAA5njR7Wg?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="640"></object>

Anyway. Our findings indicated that the maximum usable range of the Scala Rider G4 was around 1500 feet, and the Sena SMH10 was 1000 feet. The intercom sound quality of the Scala did drop off after 1100 feet, but was usable to around 1500 feet and dropped completely at 1550 feet. The Sena was clear up to the drop off point. The conditions of the test could be described as suburban, so the ranges might be longer in wide open terrain with no pedestrians or other potential interference.

The overall sound quality of the Sena for both communication and music is better, so if those are your priorities I would consider that one. If bike-bike is your main thing the Scala is probably a little better for you.

Hope this information is helpful for people making a decision between the two.
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback.. I was kind of torn between the two. Now, I have more to go on.. :thumb

With the Cardo, can you have a 3 way conversation at the same time, or is it one to one?

If you sell both and would like to have this moved to Vendors so you can answer potential buyers' questions, drop me a line.
  3. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:
    I have used both, the G4 and Sena, I stuck with the Sena. User friendly and work better than the G4's to me. Range isn't that big of a priority to me.
  4. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    We have the scala units and they work great with good range. It is also nice as you can have 4 units working together... great feature
  5. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    nice to have the radio for commuting, blue tooth iPhone music is great, bike to bike is really good even thought the VOX is a little unpredictable meaning there is at times a delay when activating. that is a known issue for Cardo to work out. G4 has updates via their web site and if there is a firmware issue no biggie, just hook it up to your computer. This will include updates to improve some of the concerns we users have from what they tell me.
  6. cyclebot

cyclebot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a nice feature of the scala's the ability to release new software. I do think the Sena has much, much better audio quality for music though. Tough decision, we just want to make sure people are informed.
  7. CCRN Rider

CCRN Rider n00b

Oddometer:
    Great information! Acceptable range with both.

The speakers with the Sena are of excellent quality and superior to Scala. But, having the ability to use earbuds with the accessory option is what sealed the deal for me. I have Jays earbuds with molded ear putty to block wind noise. The ability to hear music at a minimum volume is worth every penny.:D And, not blocking all noise (like my Etymotic ER6's did) does create a safer riding environment. Sena's toggle switch is really really easy to use. Only two buttons on the unit. The wife appreciates that!:rofl

Yes you can add your own 3.5mm jack to the Scala. Been there..done that. Nicer to have it wired from the factory IMO.
  8. Dudetheaviator

Dudetheaviator n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes... I know this is quite some time after the fact of this post... but I have gone through 2 scala g4 power sets (4 units...) and 2 sena's smh10's. Without a doubt, the sena is terrible in an offroad environment. You go around one switchback and the connection immediatly drops out, even if the bit of hill is only say 20 feet tall or you're on the other side of bushes/trees it will garble up and drop. The scala can handle these situations much better which I can only attribute to the flip up antenna. The overall range of the scala is better but is always a hassle to get synched up. The sena is much more friendlier in this manner and it's operation.

However, I have had crap reliability with the hardware of the scala's. I've had 3 of the units USB charging port become flakey where I have to maintain pressure on the cord to charge, 1 of which became completely unsoldered from its board. Which leads me to the lack of respect that I received from Scala's customer service. In short it was F.U., you opened it, we are not going to help you even though you offered to pay. Down right terrible and wish I had never spent 800$ with them :baldy:fpalm.

After going riding this weekend with a buddy who had a scala, I swapped out my sena for my old scala (which I had to manually take apart, unplug and replug the battery to force reset - allowing it to take a charge:fpalm), I was astounded how much better the range was:clap. The microphone pickup is better, the speakers are about the same.

Overall, I pretty much dislike both of them for any sort of comm use outside of an urban setting or with passenger. Thus I will be acquiring my ham tech license soon to alleviate this crap range. Afterall, who want's to stay close enough to eat my dust just so they can hear me laughing at them?? =]:rofl