Scala Rider PackTalk....

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by MelissaToBeMe, Feb 11, 2015.

1. MelissaToBeMe

MelissaToBeMe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. olzone

olzone n00b

Oddometer:
    I have read a little about it Scala┬┤s quality is as we know good but there is still a problem... They use BT for communication between the bikes and in the best of worlds with a chain of BT headsets the can reach 4,5 km otherwise up to 1.6km..

If you instead use D6 Adventure you can reach 4 - 8 km between just 2 riders... and you can be as many as you like NO limits. The reason is that D6 Adventure uses bluetooth between helmet, gps, phone and a pro walkie-talkie. Everything on the bike uses bt even the push to talk button on the handlebar.

Bluetooh is a short range communication system whatever they do.

Check it out at http://www.olzon.net/?page_id=41
  3. MelissaToBeMe

Oddometer:
    This is looking pretty interesting. Some more info I found on the web:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    I and others have not found the scala to work well

I had the g9.....worthless as com units

sena smh10 it may not have all the latest bells ...BUT IT WORKS ...scala...not so much

ride on

scott
    Jaws likes this.
  5. MelissaToBeMe

Oddometer:
    Worthless as comm units? The entire group I ride with would respectively disagree. If the smh10 (solid unit btw) satisfies your needs, you overbought in the first place...G9 is way overkill if you're only doing a few riders- should have bought their Q3.

Anyways, this is a PACKTALK thread, really anxious to hear from users (that read the owne's manual) when it comes out...
    Cuchulainn likes this.
  6. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stand by my statement....my riding buddies 5 of us all bought the g9.

We all felt the units were near worthless in com mode, and phone mode. We felt scala cust service was poor.

I cannot support scala products....In my view they over promise and under deliver.

Scott
    Jaws likes this.
  7. 2WheeledFaith

2WheeledFaith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the G9 with earbud capable base and for the most part it works well. Getting them initially connected is sometimes a pain, but we have been able to do it. The phone syncs up very easily and I answer with a voice command. I've verbally text through it and Siri. I haven't used it yet in a group so I can't comment on that.
    I use Shure SE215-K Sound Isolating In Ear Stereo Earphones with the triple flange sleeves and they sound great while blocking tons of road and wind noise. I already use hearing aids (not on the bike) and want to protect my hearing from further loss.
    The Sena is a popular unit but as I've done literally hours of research online, I'm concerned about the the new Sena 20S only being water "resistant" not "waterproof. Even Anthony with Revzilla in his video review of the Sena 20S talks about it being water "resistant".

here's some others Sena
    http://support.sena.com/entries/46727844-Is-the-20s-waterproof-

Now before you shoot the messenger here, I'm not bagging on Sena or promoting Cardo, both have pro's and con's and both have features that will appeal to different riders. Waterproof is of primary importance to me. I rode yesterday in a constant rain with no issues with my Scala Rider G9. The are advertised as "waterproof" and that was an important reason for my decision to buy them.

I'm waiting to hear how the Duo Pack reviews come in.
    The only reason I want to upgrade is that with an upcoming Alaska trip, I want constant GPS from my Zumo 590 info while being able to have comm with my friend.
    I also like being able to have my iPhone connected.
  8. torstenlaw

torstenlaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a G9 and so do some buddies and overall we are pretty happy. G9x I don't think is worth the upgrade, so I'm waiting to see reviews on the new unit as well...
  9. 2WheeledFaith

Oddometer:
    I just talked to Cardo this morning about the difference between my G9 and the new PackTalk. I was told the the only difference was the DMC which will allow you to simultaneously talk to up to 10 riders.

I'm keeping my G9

I was considering the Sena 20S, but I've read about way too many issues of them not being waterproof, just water resistant. Guys I know have Sena's love them, but they don't ride in rain either.
  10. MelissaToBeMe

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to calling them this morning after reading your post a little while back... got some more info on Packtalk capability over the G9 (what I have as well):

-DMC apparently isn't a Bluetooth connection, so when riding in a group your not daisy-chained together/ "leapfrogging" for intercom. Doesn't matter if riders change positions or come and go, everyone remains connected.

-It will pair with non-Cardo headsets. (has Bluetooth 4.0 and DMC together)

-Intercom while playing music in the backround.

-Remote control ability from an app you download.

-Sits flush with the bottom of the helmet (I really like that).

I'll update as I get more info!
    dooby likes this.
  11. freebird6

freebird6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is this available yet? Seems like sites are asking for email to let you know when they come in.

I was happy with my G9 and immediate friends all used G4 ad G9 with no problems. Could add guys easily by name on their units using either my computer the night before a ride or the Android app once we got to a ride.
  12. 2WheeledFaith

Oddometer:
    Thanks for additional info... I'll be interested to see the reviews once it's released.
  13. M5Charlie

M5Charlie n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm not to sure about the new Packtalk. I preordered the pack talk back in March with the promise it would be released on April 4, then April 28, May 1, May 20, June 4 and today I was told it would be pushed back to June 18th. I asked for a refund. I emailed Cardo and was given the usual BS answer. I spoke to the Cardo Scala Rider rep at the "Brain Day" at Road Rider and was promised it would be released on June 4th. I guess what I am trying to say is, if a company pushes the release date back several times, it's for a reason. I'm willing to bet they have bugs to work out.
    Anyone have any alternatives with similar features?
  14. Simplyred

Simplyred No longer active on ADVRider.

Oddometer:
    So... this is surprising you WHY exactly? Isn't this what EVERY technology company does nowadays? Look at Microsoft... how many times have they announced the release of a product and delayed it.... over and over.....

You don't see what's happening here. This is basic marketing technique and it is simply extending your market. People who WANT TO purchase such a device and would otherwise go to a competitive brand that has a flagship product out there NOW, would WAIT on the "new thing" to come out, and thus is it imperative to paint a picture of them NOT having to wait LONG... "It's comming SOON guys... don't buy the competing product.... wait for ours... it's the best of the best....". And it works.
    People are people. Marketing is all about finding people's weaknesses and making use of that to increase sales.

It's that simple.

By the way, in earlier posts in this thread people are comparing with the G9. Why? I mean, LOOK AT THE PRODUCT. It has a completely new user interface... that in itself is reason enough to leave the "button-carousel-product-G9".
  15. MelissaToBeMe

Oddometer:
    Sucks to hear the release got pushed back, and Simplyred raises an interesting and valid point. I would, however, rather see a company wait and release something that works as advertised rather than releasing a product and beta test on its customers (if indeed it is an issue of bugs causing the delay).

Anyways, nothing worse than having your money tied up and the release date pushing back.... hope to hear news that it's released soon!!!!!!!!!
  16. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    I'm going to follow this thread just to see how this develops.

Most of the guys I ride with are all on the Sena's (Most with 10's), and we do a lot of daisy chaining connections which we have actually gotten pretty good at, but this "DMC network" is a neat concept.

I wonder if this DMC is a proprietary type connection or something other BT communicators can support so basically anyone can join with their DMC enabled headset of their choice.
  17. bikermd

bikermd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bought a dual pack at americade. Got one programed. The other unit is not working. Will post when I learn more. I like the concept. It is water proof and has an excellent cellphone interface that really works. You can also connect it to your computer and set it up on line. So far what I learned is that it is best to get it setup online first, then to your cellphone. Won't be able to really test it till the other unit is working and we can test distance etc. The fm radio works well. You can set up everything including the stations you prefer on line or with cellphone. The manual could be a little easier to figure out.
  18. KiwiBri

KiwiBri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice. Keep us updated. I have a SENA 20S and its ok, but the radio stations are far from perfect. It would be good to see how the PACKTALK connects to other brand headsets as well
  19. udoggie

udoggie Top Dog

Oddometer:
    FYI, these are now shipping.

I would like to see a real world comparison between it and the 20s.

Udoggie
  20. KiwiBri

KiwiBri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canadian pricing is $400++ for a single unit!! ouch!!