SCAM ALERT: Too good to be true moto equipment scam sites merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by zekester63, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those who still think it could happen to them because anyone can win the lotto here is few pictures of my Schubert’s helmet fiasco.
    IMG_6912.jpg IMG_6913.jpg IMG_6914.jpg

That’s what you get when ordering from this people ,of course credit card reimbursed me accordingly but they are banking on thousands sells and credit cards taking the hit

Don’t fall for it but of course $20 to loose it’s should a temptation that you won’t even make a claim with credit card company
  2. dr. jones

dr. jones Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ugh, some people get all the luck.
  3. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    So did you all get those awesome boots and helmets? :dunno

Since no one seems to be posting about their good luck, i think i should post mine.

I got this email today informing me I am now $12,000,000 richer!
    WOW! Now I can afford to buy REAL Schubert helmets, Sidi boots, etc.!!

Mr.Donald Ego Dike <admin@keel.com.tw>
    Sun 6/9/2019 6:32 PM

Dear Friend,

A customer of ours who died (15) years ago in Tsunami tragedy in Indonesia leaving behind an estate/capital (US$20M) in a Bank here where I work,till date nobody has come forward or put application for the claim.During the Bank private search for the late gentle man relatives your name and email contact was among the findings that matches the same surname as the deceased who died intestate with no Will or next of kin. To maintain the level of security required I have intentionally left out the final details.

Banking regulation/legislation demand that I notify the fiscal authorities after a statutory time period when dormant accounts of this type are called in by the monetary regulatory bodies if nobody applies to claim the funds. I urge you to come forward since I can provide you with the details needed for you to claim the estate/capital so that I can be gratify by you ,in this way $12,000,000.00 for you and $8,000,000.00 for me. I will do all the crucial part in the Bank to have the claim released to you promptly.

Please endeavor to observe utmost discretion in all matters concerning this issue to affirm your willingness and cooperation please do so by replying me with your Telephone Number and Your Contact Information.

I do expect your prompt response. Email: officedonaldego@gmail.com

Thank you,
    Donald Ego Dike
  5. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aren’t you a lucky and blessed man
  6. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
  7. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ From China.

It's likely a scam or a sub-standard piece from a copied design that was ripped off from a manufacturer with a valid pending patent.
  8. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    So what boots, if any, did you get from that seller?

As for the rack you ordered, the seller has only "93.9% positive feedback" on eBay! That's extremely low (IMO about equivalent to a one star rating on Amazon, etc.), and in my experience, sellers with ratings that low are seldom encountered on eBay. I wish you good luck getting anything decent.
  9. Amphib

Oddometer:
    What? I thought 93% was an A... :lol3

Boots were a different seller. There was a thread on it... Think it was mentioned in this one as well. I have close to zero experience with ebay. I've had some decent luck with some old car parts, some computer parts, but I've been very unlucky with moto gear..... The boots were more of an experiment and figured it was a no good deal, but was only 18 bucks with a guaranteed refund. That rack however, yes it's cheaper than name brand stuff, I don't care if it needs to be repainted or the holes wollered out. I figure with some things it's worth a gamble with a money back guarantee. But I appreciate the advice. What's your rating parameters when buying?

With my lack of experience, I'd probably post it up in the correct forum and seek advice if it was a big ticket item. A) I'm hoping it actually does arrive. B) I hope it's aluminum. That's about where my expectations are.
  10. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's some red flags on your ebay seller....

Only 29 feedback reviews. That VERY low. The ebay account only dates to December 2018. Another red flag, particularly for an overseas seller.
    Two of 29 feedback reviews are bad, including the first one. Not a good start here. Some of the reviews look fakey.

On the plus side for you, several of the items sold are the tail rack you're buying and the reviews were positive. I suspect you'll get cheap janky ripped-off crap that's worth the $30.
    Hopefully it won't crack and break, losing your gear while deep in the woods at the most inopportune moment.
  11. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Lmao. Me too!
  12. Amphib

Oddometer:
    At least it's just a cut plate of aluminum and not a space shuttle. :lol3
    spokester and IDRIDR like this.
  13. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I don't know if the rack is a scam, but if not, it very likely is a clone, and possibly very poorly made. I would want to make sure it was sturdy enough to stay on the bike and secure your items.

I personally do at times buy accessory items from China (via eBay, Amazon, etc.), if they are VERY cheap, have free shipping, and are items unimportant to reliability or safety. For example, I have a windshield deflector which was less than $20 and is a clone of a Wunderlich item (which costs an outrageous $189), and a brake pedal extension which was less than $5 and is a clone of a TT item that costs about $40.

Regarding eBay sellers, it used to be a decent place to get a good deal but, IMO buying from eBay now is a real crap shoot, and good deals and reliable sellers are harder to find. I think folks generally are very cautious about dealing with any sellers who have seller ratings less than 98%.
    Amphib likes this.
  14. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Its disappointing for sure. Any items I purchase where safety is an issue, I look name brand, try to find or wait for sales. The rack I figured is a hunk of aluminum. I'll probably use my own hardware. It bolts onto the stock AT rack which is only rated for something around 22 lbs. My thoughts were I would have more tie down points. And I think the $100 and up prices for an item like this is robbery. I was going to make my own, but this would work out being about the same price....probably less.

I do hate being a part of the problem, contributing to these kinds of companies, but I'm not a rich man, I believe in value, which isn't always the cheapest choice, but in this case, I want cheap.

Thanks a bunch guys for some eBay 101.
  15. gt750

gt750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also decided to "go for" some Sidi boots. Was not real! Was given a full refund from Ebay. ...nothing ventured, nothing gained.
  16. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes you have 100% refund but to send the item back to China you will have to pay beside the shipping the taxes and that would mount to more than the refund
  17. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that was something I never considered.... Which I will in the future. I'll update later, tracking shows it in my city.
  18. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Rack arrived and my expectations have been exceeded. The hardware is even stainless with spacers and lock nuts. I'm patting myself on the back for not paying $100+.
    gt750, IDRIDR and flei like this.
  19. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid Doesn't Like Stuff

Oddometer:
  20. gt750

gt750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too tried to buy those cheep boots and helmets. I thought that at the very worse I'd be out like $25.00. But, Ebay stepped up and covered my losses. There was nothing received to send back!