SCAM ALERT: Too good to be true moto equipment scam sites merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by zekester63, Jul 27, 2017.

1. phoenixdoglover

phoenixdoglover Where to next?

Oddometer:
    Well, as you noted the database functions are not working.

The privacy page opening sentence is funny.

Privacy Notice
    Privacy Policy
    Thank you for vising us, please take a look of our policy as bellows.

The rest is boilerplate text they copied from some other site.

Lots of other mistakes, such as the bottom options,

• ABOUT USNEED HLEP?
    If they get their site working again it might be possible to investigate more.

I would be very concerned for the integrity of your Credit Card account.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. daysgoneby

daysgoneby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So let's see how I fair on this one. I found this company http://www.alaintestor.com/

Being a big fan of Rukka I thought I'd give em a try and order some Rukka R Stars gloves and Rukka outlast shirt and underpants. If it went well I would buy a new jacket and pants. If not I would be out $200. The prices did look too good to be true.

Well, the order came today, no name crap! I could drive down to Walmart and pick this stuff up for $20. and the labels would be in English. STAY AWAY FROM THESE GUY'S!

I sent them an email asking what's up but not expecting anything from these guy's
  3. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    If it looks too good to be true....
  4. Steve 1

Steve 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fro my post #120 I have not heard from this site that billed me for $40 and took $75, it was all in that now closed account, a scam site.https://www.rigrmarket.top/
  5. Grimberg

Grimberg n00b

Oddometer:
    No HTTPS (SSL), no contact information, no info about the company, no address, a privacy notice that's crap with conflicting info*, too good to be true prices, faked outdated trust seals on checkout page**, asking directly for credit card info and not relaying the payment to a proper transaction site... more than enough red flags all ready, can I stop listing?

*"Our website uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) software to protect your data and secure your transactions."
    Nope, they don't. Not even a free Letsencrypt SSL certificate which scam (and legit) sites usually use. If you want to know how I know, just look at your browsers address bar and ask yourself: is there a lock, is it open or closed and is it green or black? If it's open, and is black, it's not. If it's closed and green, it's encrypted. (chrome and Firefox at least, not sure about rest)

** Quick look at the "trust seals" on checkout page.
    Verisign trusted, I couldn't find any info about this after 2011. All I could find was in Wikipedia, that certificate business was sold in 2010 to Symantec and again 2017 to DigiCert. Is this even in active use?
    Norton by Symantec, this badge is not even used by Norton nor Symantec. The real one can be found here: http://alturl.com/pj9kj
    PCI Security Standards Council, they don't even have a trust seal (!!!!!!!!!), more info about the entity here: http://alturl.com/izq7c
    Trustwave, again, seal that is not used by Trustwave. The real badges: http://alturl.com/ij2vr

C'moon guys, with this amount of red flags (and clear indications of scam) how can you still fall for this?

E. also, Verisign, Norton and Trustwave. Can you even get a trust seal these days without buying SSL certificate? If it as I suspect, how many certificates does one need? (Correct answer: one)
    Brtp4 likes this.
  6. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. maloryII

maloryII ey brah Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was strange. I contacted them about the wrong gloves. They said the shipping company had made the mistake. After several emails back and forth, they said they would send me another pair for 3/4 price, but wouldn't refund my money. They also wanted me to pay for this new pair through my checking account. Mastercard refunded my money but didn't send me a new card , so I guess they weren't concerned about it being a scam site. https://www.signal-arnaques.com/en/scam/view/107237
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  9. Hoggdoc

Hoggdoc Adventurer

Oddometer:

Wouldn't you think that Klim would want to send an email to these people and threaten a lawsuit or something?
  10. Hoggdoc

Hoggdoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seriously, why would you do that with all the information here? If you have money to throw away I can give you my PayPal account, LOL
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  11. seismic52

seismic52 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found another scam site: http://www.letsrockfortuna.com/ selling Schuberth helmets ridiculously cheaply. I contacted them wondering how they could sell the helmets so cheaply and wondering if they were rejects but never got a reply.
  12. greg531

greg531 greg531

Oddometer:
    Give the owner of the website a call....

Owner: Jacqueline Richardson
    Owner Address: 2151 Clearview Drive
    Owner City: Denver
    Owner Postcode: 80219
    Phone Number: +1.3037424407 [​IMG]
    Phone Type: geographic :Denver, CO Qwest Corporation
    from....https://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/letsrockfortuna.com
    No BBB listing, no street address found in Goggle Maps......
    Not a secured checkout.....
    Not a listed dealer......mmmmmmmmmm????
    IP Address is Buffalo, NY.....
    Chaostrophy and AdamChandler like this.
  13. seismic52

seismic52 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I checked scamadviser as well but thought I'd order a pinlock lense for $10 but stopped when I saw it was not an https page. The site seems really well put together, though, and the English language looks quite OK. Someone must put in a lot of effort to make the site look as good as it does and I guess there are people falling for it's lure of cheap premium brand helmets.
  14. Chaostrophy

Chaostrophy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What the hell, speaking as an SSL professional (literally, I work for a large vendor of them) Let's Encrypt is FREE! No excuse for anyone (ok, you need to replace those every 90 days, so, more work). Yeah, EV (extended validation) are more like $1500 a year (turns your browser address bar green, at least on desktop), but still...
  15. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    For fuck's sake, it doesn't even pass the Yard Sale test. The first line on the Privacy page is Engrish copied and pasted from another scam site.
  16. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the quest for saving a buck, being a penny wise and pound foolish may end up biting anyone in the ass. Glad that peeps here are bringing these scumbags to light.
    I'd rather pay $50 more for an item from a well known vendor, than having to deal with the whole scam/fraud thing with a CC company.
    It seems like that people have nothing better to do than be scumbags these days...:bluduh
  17. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    "We do not accept items that with any quality problem which is due to subjective awareness of defective goods." Well, that's clear enough then. :^)
  18. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "We takes seriously of customers' privacy security ..."

Come on now ... you've bet 200 USD on the legitimacy of a site the privacy statement on which starts with the sentence above? I have proposition for you - send me 200 and will make you immortal, I pramis and onest to got!
  19. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    wait. you mean you are supposed to read the privacy statements of the websites you buy stuff from? ain't nobody got time for that!
  20. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, you are not supposed to - it's just common sense to be more cautious on a site with suspiciously low prices. Judging by your response you got precisely what you were supposed to.