Scenic 2 for off-road tracks

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by RoundOz, Dec 7, 2019.

1. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    I played with the original Scenic app but have never done any motorcycle navigation with it. The new Scenic 2 interface seems great and my credited maps of my four surrounding states downloaded again seamlessly. I can see that a lot of thought and response to users has gone into this and also that an Android version is in the works.

The big question though:
    There are dozens of apps out there that do a decent job of road navigation but has anyone tried Scenic 2 out for off-road work with pre-loaded routes?

Anything that I have tried that is recommended for off-road usually does a less than spectacular job (than, say, Google Maps) of road routing tasks like finding the closest Starbucks when you just have to have a triple double mocha decaf latte with an extra shot.

This leaves a lot of Adventure riders switching between two or more apps. I always dream of One Thing to Rule them All - is this a possibility?

I know even the original Scenic could theoretically import a track and be told to leave it alone (not reroute) - that’s a good start.

So any users with experience?
    Traxx and bozmotodual16 like this.
  2. gpsdualsport

gpsdualsport former mid life crisis motorcycle owner

Oddometer:
    In the Garmin universe there is a difference between routes and tracks. These definitions mostly hold true when talking about Android Apps.
    So in the land of the iPhone exactly what goes into making a route?
    For most of my off road navigation I use tracks. Tracks don't care about what map you have on the screen. I seldom use turn by turn navigation in the dirt so routes are not needed.
    The other question is what flavor of track format does Scenic prefer?
    Garmin and most Android Apps can import GPX format tracks.

Personally I have found Google Maps to be very poor compared my favorite Android Apps for off road work.
    What have you been using that you find so poor?
  3. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Firstly, sorry for my confusing language - I wasnt holding to the usual (GPS Nav) definition of Routes and Tracks)
    I am no long-time user of any apps for off-road. Most of my limited experience (have been more as a follower than a leader when it comes to track nav) has been with a Garmin, a 550 and much more a 595. I experimented with all sorts of ways to make tracks navigable for me (there are lots of threads about how poorly Garmin does off-road so I won’t go into that here) and now my aging eyesight is the final straw in that coffin. The screen is too small. I am moving myself into a small Android tablet and Locus is the only app I have played with that seems to hold the promise of being a one shoe fits all. But, and this is a big BUTT, that amount of customization comes at a cost - I feel like, as a Locus beginner, I deserve a degree of some sort. Sooooo complex. My opinion.
    Scenic 2 holds some promise of being an easier interface - this after 15 mins of messing with it.
    The driver of posting this thread was to gain knowledge rather than give it. I don’t have a lot of time in my life to endlessly experiment with different apps which also means I don’t have a lot of info to share on Scenic. It WILL pull in GPX files and has built-in links to some map sites C171E848-CA89-4C6A-BCA8-81B936220EC4.jpeg
    Here is a link to the blog with a lot of your answers:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/scen...tive-to-garmin-zumo-and-tomtom-rider.1161012/
  4. gpsdualsport

gpsdualsport former mid life crisis motorcycle owner

Oddometer:
    I am also a member of the failing eyesight club. Have dumped Garmin in favor of the easier to read screens on Android devices.
    Locus is not user friendly at first attempt. But is a feature rich swiss army knife GPS app.
    I'm not an Apple user so anything to do with the iPhone is out of my comfort zone.
    A decent GPS Andoid App that will get you going quickly is linked below
    https://osmand.net/
    The maps have decent visibility and most of the basic GPS features you need for simple Navigation.