Scenic App for the MABDR

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by gzrglyde, May 10, 2019.

1. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I loaded the Scenic app on my iPhone 8 last fall, but Hurricane Michael ruined fall riding for me...we are now back in our home after 6 months of repairs. So the plan now is to ride the MABDR this fall with a friend. Has anyone used the Scenic app for riding BDRs, I am concerned about cell phone reception...maybe I should not be? I have loaded the MABDR map into the Scenic program, but again, have not been able to use it or "play" with the program, so I will be a total newbie to it. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated! Want to know if loading the MABDR maps into Scenic on the iPhone will do the trick, or if I need a dedicated GPS device?
    ohgood likes this.
  2. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Scenic should work great, since the MABDR route is on existing roads. Just make sure you download the maps for the states you'll be riding in -- then cell phone reception won't matter. You don't need a cell signal for GPS positioning, just for data downloads, and since Scenic lets you download maps in advance, that's a nonissue too. (To be clear, I'm talking about the state road maps that Scenic accesses. The MABDR maps you talk about are not maps per se, just a route that Scenic will plot on its own maps.)

Keep an eye out for Scenic v2.0, which should be out by the time you do your trip -- it's a major update that Guido has been working on for a long time, and it looks like it's going to make a number of big improvements to an already excellent app.

--mark
    ohgood likes this.
  3. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mark! I was in touch with Guido today...I like dealing with him...very helpful. I also have the Butler MABDR map. Now, if I understand you correctly, I need to download state maps onto Scenic as well as the MABDR route I already downloaded? If so, where is a good site to access those maps to download? Glenn
  5. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    You download them within Scenic. Go into Settings, click on Map, then Offline Maps, and tap the plus sign to add them. You have a certain number of credits with which to get maps; assuming you haven't used them for other purposes, you should have plenty to get the maps you need for your trip. If you've run out of credits, you can purchase more.

The Scenic server keeps track of the maps you download, so when maps are updated, you get the updated ones for free.

--mark
    ohgood likes this.
  6. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mark, I am downloading some of the maps now...Glenn
  7. guzziownr

guzziownr n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi folks, looking to dip my toes into MABDR. I put the scenic app on my phone and loaded NY and PA maps. Now how do I synch up the MABDR on the App?

(after Googling) Aha, got it sorted. I will experiment with a local route when the rains stop.

TIA DW
  8. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    Just installed the Sena comm system in my Schuberth C4. When using Scenic app for navigation, will I get turn by turn directions via the Sena in my skid lid?