Scenic app with Furkot work well?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by jules083, Jul 18, 2020.

1. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Digging into the Scenic app that people seem to love. I usually use Furkot to make routes here at home when I'm bored. Here's the question:

I currently just have the free version of the Scenic. You need the paid version to import routes, both GPX from here and also downloading from Furkot. Does the importing and downloading work well without too much hassle? Also, how easy is it to load a GPX file from here to my phone using my PC? Can I download a gpx file straight from ADVrider to my phone and skip the computer altogether?

Thanks. Sorry for multiple questions, I've always used a dedicated GPS instead of a phone so this is kind of new to me.
  2. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have similar questions; I gave up using a pc years ago and operate from an iPhone and iPad. I bought a Kyocera Duraforce Pro as a dedicated bike gps, but without a pc as a route interface, I’m wondering what my options are. I just got the phone and haven’t had a chance to dig into anything yet.
  3. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a screenshot of importing from Furkot:

PNG image.png

If you tap on Furkot, it'll give you a list of your saved trips. You can also import GPX routes, tracks, and waypoints exported from virtually any app.
  4. jules083

Oddometer:
    Well, out of impatience I went ahead and got the premium membership. Leaving now on a short ride, I’m gonna see how it goes. Camping tonight and I don’t think we have cell service, so I’ll be back tomorrow evening to update this post.
  5. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't need a PC.

Locus Pro has a great route planner. Gaia GPS, OsmAnd. You can even use Furkot right on your phone.
  6. jules083

Oddometer:
    Ok, time for all my bitches and complaints.

1. You can make a route while you don't have cell signal. The problem is, you can't save the route. I figured since I was making it on the app itself I could save it in my phone, but I couldn't. You can, however, still search for your next point and at least keep navigating with it

2. The app will route you through dirt roads when you don't want it to. Near the end of the day I was about 3 hours from home and I stopped, told it to take me home, and clicked the 'generate curvy route' button. Within 15 minutes I was on a dirt road. About 15 miles of gravel later I hit the pavement so I re-routed only without hitting the curvy route option. Again, ended up on a dirt road. Not a big problem for many of us, but at the same time it makes the app kind of useless if you just want to get somewhere or if you're on a streetbike. The roads it took me on I could not have done on my Goldwing.

3. The estimated arrival time is extremely optimistic. It assumed an average speed of almost 60mph on rough gravel roads. So by the time it's all said and done if it says you'll be somewhere in 3 hours it's more like 5 or 6 hours.
  7. wingtraveler

wingtraveler asphalt to dirt

Oddometer:
    i use them together works well for me i also started using GAIA works great ofline you just follow your premade route with multiple layers usinging it the next two weeks on my NEBDR trip 40$ year
  8. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your points #2 & #3 are well taken. As for #1, you are correct in that if you just choose a Destination and then Start Ride, you cannot save the calculated route path. But, you could use the: Routes -> Create route feature which does allow you to Save the new Route.