Scenic - iPhone & iPad App Alternative to Garmin Zumo and TomTom Rider

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by gve, Jul 18, 2016.

1. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Every new user gets 5 credits which you can use for a trip with voice navigation (1 credit) importing a route (1 credit) exporting a route (1 credit). If you didn't get those 5 credits please send me an email at support@motomappers.com and I'll check it out.
    Jollyrogers likes this.
  2. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    I’ve had some other people reporting these map issues now. Apparently there are some ‘problem areas’. Your area seems to be one of them and also some rural regions in Australia & Canada.

Scenic uses the Skobbler framework, which uses the maps of Scout. I will report this back to them. They have just released a new update of the framework including map updates. And I'm now working on implementing this into Scenic.

If you want (and if not already done so) you can go to the motomappers blog. On the right side (or down if you’re on your phone) there are some links how you can ‘follow us’ (Facebook, twitter, google+ and rss). I will post on the blog and these channels about updates and such.
  3. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Scenic support offroad routes in 2 ways:
    1. If the route contains unpaved roads which are known on the map you can get turn by turn and voice navigation for it.
    2. If the route contains (unpaved) roads which are not know on the map you can save it as 'Offroad Route'. In that case you won't get turn by turn and voice. Navigation will be 'Follow the line'.
    juno likes this.
  4. bugzilla

bugzilla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was in the same situation as jollyrogers in that I couldn't play with the gpx capabilities of the app--because I'd already spent my credits on offline maps.

I do intend to subscribe, however, and check out the import/export capabilities. This, to me, is what I primarily needed a dedicated GPS for (there are other obvious benefits, but if I can at least do THAT on the iPhone, I'm at least bridging the gap).

From what I've seen so far, it's a very nice app. I am looking forward to using it on an upcoming trip.

T
    (warthog)
  5. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    Looks interesting but my primary use will be off road and off line navigation like the TAT and different tracks. Hopefully I can see some feedback from users on here that are using it other than on road routes.

6. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Upon request, here is a table showing the different in app purchases. The 'Ultimate' options are not yet available. Hoping to have them in the next update in about 3 weeks.

iapChart@2x.jpg
  7. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok. I am not in the middle of an adventure right now. I will reinstall and import my next route/tracks to test. My GPS actually stopped working while on the trail last weekend, and had to go to an iPhone app, so a good one is a must for backup.

Thanks for the reply. If I don't see the credits, I'll contact you!
  8. highlight

highlight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Guido. Does it have an active compass on screen? Or at least direction like "NW" or sth
  9. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Not really, but sort of. Your current position indicator is an arrow and there are 2 map modes: 'North Up' and 'Heading Up'.
    If you choose 'North Up' the map will be fixed with (you guessed it) north up. The arrow in your position indicator will turn towards your riding direction. (I also recommend putting the map in 2D mode in this case as that will give you the best idea of direction).

If you choose 'Heading Up' your position indicator will always point up (riding direction) and the map will turn to match the riding direction. So, in that case you don't have any sort of compass.
  10. highlight

highlight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Thanks. Will you consider adding the compass as a feature that can be turned on/off in the future updates?

11. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Should be an easy additions. Will put it on the list for the upcoming update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Early next week an update to Scenic will be released. This is what's new:
    - Furkot Online Route Planner Integration
    - Long tap on the map to select a location for navigation
    - Compass on Map (setting)
    - Always show original route, even when deviating (setting)
    - 1 decimal precission for distances and speeds (setting)
    - Bugfixes
  13. dashredder

dashredder Just go.

Oddometer:
    I just downloaded this. Looks like it may be right along the lines of what I was hoping for!!! I'll have to plan a route and see how it comes together while on the fly.

-How does the app handle dead spots when on the move? I assume having the offline maps installed would be he way to deal with this, but can it keep accurate location when my phone won't connect?

-Is there, or will there be an option to find friends real time? For an example, you and 4 of your friends go for a ride and all of you are using the app, you get separated. Can the app show the locations of everyone in the group real time to those in your group? Like a find my phone now type of option that you would set up specifically with the ones you wanted to allow to see your location.
  14. BlueMax750

BlueMax750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I downloaded Scenic the other day. I like that you have a single pay option as well as pay as you go. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but I plan to this week.

I'd love it if there was a way to schedule fuel stops based on the following:

1.) Low fuel indicator
    2.) empty indicator
    3.) total fuel capacity

Base it on fuel mileage and show the stops as a range based on low and high mpg. It would need a way to indicate the fuel capacity of the bike as well as the reserve capacity. An option to never use reserve would be useful for some people. Also a method to indicate a fill up as well as a start with a partial tank by entering the number of miles on the tank for those of us that always fill up and reset the tripometer.

I like to do long distance stuff and trying to figure out where the next gas stop is can be a pain. Many times I end up stopping sooner than I could have just because of the uncertainty of not know if I'll make the next fuel or can push on further. I know how far I can go, but not exactly where the fuel is along the route.
  15. Gatornation

Gatornation Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

Oddometer:
    Downloaded it and made a route. Very easy to do. Haven't had time to mess with other features, but it's very promising so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Yes. Your location is determined by the GPS receiver inside your phone which does not require an internet connection. A bit more detail: The iPhone can use 3 things to determine your location. Wifi Signal, Cellular Signal and the GPS Signal. The Wifi and Cellular signal is used mainly for (1) Getting your location faster and (2) getting your approximate location. The GPS receiver is the one that's most precise. It will get your location with only the GPS receiver active (which is the case if you are in a dead spot).

Currently there is not. And... I'll be honest. It is on my list, but it's not high on the list. Currently I want to focus on other priorities like integrating with more online route planners, planning group rides and updating the map framework with new maps.
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  17. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Also this is on my list. And it's not that difficult to add this either. There is one "but" though. At this point Scenic does not support POI search. I.e. you can't show all gas stations in the map area. You can search for "Gas Station" and it will show you a list, but it won't show them on the map yet. I am planning to add this very soon. Until I do the feature you are describing would have a lot less added value I think.
    Battmo and WhicheverAnyWayCan like this.
  18. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    But, if one were to use the newly added integration with Furkot.com, you could plan your Fuel Stops there and just import the whole Trip with Stops into Scenic. Nice job Guido!:thumb
  19. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just installed this on my iPhone and iPad and have a question about creating routes and transferring from one device to the other. I'd rather use my iPad to create a route because of the larger screen. If I save the route in my favorites how do I gain access to it on my iPhone? Would I have to make it a public route?
  20. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your Routes will sync between you devices and you do not need to make them 'public' to do so - that is how I use Scenic.