Scenic - iPhone & iPad App Alternative to Garmin Zumo and TomTom Rider

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by gve, Jul 18, 2016.

1. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine are not syncing for some reason.
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might try logging out and back in on your devices. Otherwise, I'd contact Guido (support). He has been very responsive.

You might also try swipping down while on the My Routes page so as to update your Favorites.
  3. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    For sync to work, it's important you are signed in with the same profile on both devices and for that it's important you add an email and password to your profile. Once you've added email and pw to your profile on your main device (and clicked the verification link in the email you'll receive) go to your 2nd device and go to your profile Now, on the top right you'll either see a 'Log Out' button or a 'or... Sign In' button. If it's Log Out, tap that first and then you'll see the 'Sign In' button. Tap that and there, enter the same email and pw again. Now... everything you do on your iPad will show up on your iPhone. If it still doesn't let me know. Best (and fastest) way to reach me is through email (support@motomappers.com).
    Battmo likes this.
  4. psliddy

psliddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been using Scenic on my trip to NC/TN this week. I have been planning my routes on the iPad and then using the phone on the bike. It is working pretty well.

Is there a way to see the turn by turn directions for a route?
  5. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    At the moment there is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Congrats! I know that was a boatload of hard work to create that.
    WhicheverAnyWayCan and DRTBYK like this.
  7. Gatornation

Gatornation Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

Oddometer:
    There are some map issues around Lake Anna in Virginia. The road placement is incorrect in areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Scenic (Guido) sources the maps from OSM. You can upload GPX tracks that indicate correct roads on the OSM site.
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  9. Gatornation

Gatornation Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

Oddometer:
    I can create a route, then upload? Or upload the map, then create a route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    To correct OSM maps without actually editing the map (takes just a bit of learning), you need to ride the roads and record your Track Log. The upload that GPX Track log on the OSM Map site.
    Gatornation likes this.
  11. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Please note that you won't see any additions to OSM immediately in Sceni. Scenic uses the Skobbler Map Framework. They indeed base their maps on OMS. They take an extract of OSM around 2 times every year. The current version of Scenic has maps of april 2015. Working on an update now (ready in about a month) that will have the maps of april 2016. Skobbler told me they will release another update by the end of this year.
    DRTBYK and Gatornation like this.
  12. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I just downloaded Scenic to my iPad along with 5 state maps. The standard screen style and the gray scale style have white roads on a light gray background. The outdoor style has white/gray roads on a light beige background. These styles don't work for me in sunlight when I'm wearing my riding glasses (which are, of course, sunglasses.) What I want is white roads on a black background, or black roads on a white background. It's all about CONTRAST. I could even live with bright red roads on a vivid yellow background, or bright green roads on an orange background.

Do you have any plans to come out with a high contrast screen style for use in sunlight?
    dzhitshard and Dirtwannabe like this.
  13. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    I didn't but now I do. Planning a big update to work on in the winter. Will add it to the list for that. Good suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    DRONE and DRTBYK like this.
  14. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:
    Just downloaded the app. Leaving for a trip in a few days. Looking forward to trying this out.
  15. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    bugzilla and Gatornation like this.
  16. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been using my iPhone 6+ as my "all in one" unit for some time now. I've stated before that the ability to import a GPX and get turn-by-turn to follow was the "Holy Grail" of nav apps. I was excited to find this thread. I took the plunge and installed Scenic last week. I paid for the Premium Subscription and downloaded the offline map of Michigan. I was planning to ride with some pals on Sunday, following a ~100-mile dirt road GPX route. I imported the route to Furkot (first time user there, as well) and made a few easy edits. I then imported to Scenic and was off and running. The turn-by-turn worked fine at least 90% of the time - and I think part of the miss was my fault for monkeying with the route manually. I'll need more experience, but so far this looks fantastic.

I rode with several guys with new 1200GS's and their $1000+ Nav V options. I wouldn't trade my setup for any of them.

Great job Guido.

Next: Ink a deal with Butler to get all their routes.
    Battmo, outbacktm and Gatornation like this.
  17. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    As much as I think Rever has done an OK job with getting Butler mapped info into an App, if you are using Furkot, try the FIND drawer and select the data type Scenic byways and backroads.
    Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 08.07.48.png

Then Motorcycle...Then at the bottom of the drawer select your data source(s) from the Motorcycle specific websites.

You'll find most, if not all, of the roads Butler highlights on their maps - and then some. Free!
    Major_Zero, FarmerKeith and outbacktm like this.
  18. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words John. Always nice to hear

Ik am working on Integrating Scenic with more online route planners as well. RouteYou is next on the list (although this one is mostly used in Europe). Also really want to integrate with the HD ride planner, so if anyone has connections there let me know!

As for the butler routes. I'm more on the DRTBYK side. It's quite easy to import your own routes... and... the Scenic Route Database is growing every day now. I'm hoping this will eventually be enough (or perhaps even better) then the butler routes. Users can rate, review and add pics to the routes they ride so this should (eventually) give you a very good idea on what routes are nice and which are not.
    Battmo likes this.
  19. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    On another note. I'm currently working on an update which will be out in about a month, maybe less. It's a big update. Here's what will be new:
    • Updated Maps
    • Improvements to Scenify Algorithm (making the calculated route match the GPX route/track (a lot) better)
    • Offline Search
    • Skip Next Via Point Button (will appear when you deviate from your route)
    • Speed limit always visible (turn on/off from settings)
    • Redesign of profile screen
    • Redesign of settings screen
    • Simplified In App Purchase options
  20. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my Butler maps and feel they have good value. The physical map is very durable, the graphics are excellent and the road rating is very helpful. While the actual routes may be covered elsewhere (I'm sure they have been ridden by many) - just having a bunch of routes loses some of the Butler magic. I'd pay a reasonable fee for a nav app that pulls in the full Butler content, retaining the route ratings. I see a nice possible marriage between these worlds. I would love to have both my Butler physical map and my nav system and trip planning system integrated.
    outbacktm likes this.