Scenic - iPhone & iPad App Alternative to Garmin Zumo and TomTom Rider

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by gve, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    NP - was just putting up a Wish List really. It was something I had gotten used to with previous apps. I guess I will just have to "suffer through" in the mean time. :jack
    gve likes this.
  2. n4dsl

n4dsl 2019 Tracer 900 GT & 2001 Super Sherpa

Oddometer:
    Has a way been added yet to see gas stations or POIs? Is this going to be in the new release this spring, or maybe I'm just not finding it. Also is there a way to see my current elevation?
  3. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Both features (POIs/Gas Stations & Elevation) will be in the big update.
    AdvRich and n4dsl like this.
  4. tpar1220

tpar1220 such a pud..

Oddometer:
    guido, nice job on the app. i am now premium. i used it today on local ride to give it a try and compare to motion x. i think it worked very well, but for me it was very hard to see with background being gray and roads white. but it may just be me as i am colorblind. i need contrast between background and roads to be very great. the track i was creating was in red, which is good but the line was very slim and i could hardly see it unless i came to a stop and screen would auto zoom in. couple things i am curious about.

1-when you did comparison with several apps why didn't you include motion x?
    2-is there a way to change color of map and track?
    3-if not running a track or route can you use app without it timing out and shutting off? i couldn't keep it from shutting off after 30 seconds or so unless i was creating a track.

being able to change colors of track is kinda of a big deal. if track crosses itself somewhere there is no way to figure out which one to follow at crossing. i will include a pic of my test today and you will see where the track runs together. and at that point you don't know which red line to follow. if i had ability to change colors i could have split it into 2 tracks and made em different colors which would eliminate the confusion. thats one thing i like about motion x. it is super easy to change colors. but one thing i dislike about motion x is the way you download maps for offline use. where as i like the way scenic offline maps work.

both apps have their advantages and disadvantages. i am really trying to get onboard with scenic but the map/track colors are a big deal to me.

thanks for your effort with this....
  5. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate you taking the time for it. Many of your points will be addressed in the big update: http://www.motomappers.com/blog/scenic-big-update-sneak-peak/

Let me answer a couple of your points here too:
    - The big update will include two high contrast map styles
    - In the big update you will also be able to choose the color of routes and tracks, but only on an app level. Not on a per route/track basis.
    - I will make the track line a bit wider also. Probably I can't add a direction arrow in it as I'm limited by the possibilities of the 3rd party map framework.
    - I am familiar with Motion X but didn't include it because it's very much 'track' oriented (I.e. No turn by turn and voice guidance). If I get around to doing another comparison I'll add it.
    - The app should not shut down when not running a track or route. It really shuts down (crashes) or does it stop recording your location? If the latter, can you check if Scenic has 'always' Location Access? (In ios Settings -> Scenic.)

Hope this answers a bit of your feedback?
  6. tpar1220

tpar1220 such a pud..

Oddometer:
    Here is today’s ride.

IMG_1492.jpg
  7. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    I see why you mean. Will see if I can improve this within the possibilities the map framework offers.
  8. tpar1220

tpar1220 such a pud..

Oddometer:
    thanks.. sorry for the large pic. i didn't think it would be that big. i guess i should elaborate. the app doesn't crash or shut off it simply times out and screen goes dark. if i touch or swipe it quick enough it comes back on. but if i leave alone after a brief time (maybe 30 sec) the screen dims then shuts off. if i am recording a ride it stays on. just wondering if there is a way to keep it on even when i am not recording a track or following one.

i rarely do routes and never use turn by turn navigation.

thanks again.
  9. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    That's sounds like a bug, where the 'auto-screen-off' is not disabled when not selecting a track or route. Will check this. Just to double check... you did tap 'Start Trip' I'm assuming? Because only when the app is on the screen after that button (the navigation screen let's say) the screen auto off is disabled.
  10. BamaDirt

BamaDirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Specific to adventure riding. I find the global nature of off road or turn by turn routes really limit my ability to create dual sport routes. The ability to manually link certain sections or waypoints off road, while maintaining turn by turn for the rest would be sweet!

I use this app on every ride and my screen only locks when I don’t start the trip.
  11. tpar1220

tpar1220 such a pud..

Oddometer:
    correct. mine works same. i guess i don't need to record my trip on every ride so don't click the "start trip" button as to not record. i guess is designed to record every ride. and at end you select delete if you don't want to save.

does this sound right?
  12. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Yes. That's how it was designed.
  13. DRKWNG

DRKWNG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cambs/Northants border, near Peterborough
    I’m having an issue getting scenic to plot a curvy route to any destination here in the UK; it keeps retiring out. I’m using an iPhone X and just downloaded the latest version (1.7.5) of scenic. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

14. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    There seem to be more problems with curvy routing after the update. I will have a detailed look tomorrow. (Out riding myself today). Thanks for letting me know.
  15. DRKWNG

DRKWNG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Guido. So you know, it was giving me issues with the previous version as well. I updated this morning in an attempt to fix the problem.
  16. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Problem should be solved now. There was an issue in the communication with Scenic's curvy routing provider, Kurviger, which has now been resolved.
    DRKWNG likes this.
  17. DRKWNG

DRKWNG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect, talk about speedy resolutions!! Will this require an app update, or is all in the background?

Thanks for sorting it out so quickly.
  18. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    It was all on the server, so no app update required.
  19. n4dsl

Oddometer:
    I just purchased the lifetime subscription and when I go to settings in app purchases, and click on Premium Forever it shows I already am. Where do I manage my "Scenic" account? Do I need to associate something now? When I go to download additional maps it shows I don't have enough credits. When I go to manage subscriptions all I see is Rever which I used to have and deleted but nothing for Scenic?
  20. n4dsl

Oddometer:
    Never mind I just read the details, offline maps still require credits. That's a real disappointment.... Once I purchase a map is that only good for that device?