Scenic - iPhone & iPad App Alternative to Garmin Zumo and TomTom Rider

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by gve, Jul 18, 2016.

1. n4dsl

n4dsl 2019 Tracer 900 GT & 2001 Super Sherpa

Oddometer:
    How do log in? It is giving me a warning before I purchase credits it's telling me my account needs an email address?
  2. n4dsl

n4dsl 2019 Tracer 900 GT & 2001 Super Sherpa

Oddometer:
    Never mind I figured it out. You have to click on the Person icon in left top corner
  3. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Indeed. Tapping on the 'profile' button in the main screen, and then on first row, will take you to the login/signup screen. In case you did not find it yet:
    Here's:
    Regarding the offline maps. Once you purchase a region, you get lifetime updates (about twice a year) and you can download it to all your device free of charge, as long as you are logged in with the same Scenic account.

If you have any further questions please let me know. I'm pretty active here, but fastest way is through the email link at the bottom of the FAQS page (links above are all to FAQS page).
  4. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Any further information on the new version?
  5. DrHeinrich

DrHeinrich um.... huh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    In terms of...?

OP has been pretty clear about shooting for a May release, no? I'd be surprised if they wouldn't let this thread know if/when that changes.
  6. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Had to shift to June. Need some more time to get it right, and reserve enough time for thorough testing.

I try to keep this thread updated, but have many channels where I'm active, so sometimes I forget to be honest. The best way to keep informed is to subscribe to our newsletter Moto Intel Report. I have also been providing additional screenshots and new feature descriptions of the big update there. Here you can see past editions and subscribe if you'd like: http://www.motomappers.com/blog/category/moto-intel-report-newsletter/.

Cheers,
    Guido
  7. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I just downloaded Scenic and the offline map. I set it for extra curvy roads and input my destination, then hit start. I expected it to show me a preview route like Garmin does, but it doesn't show me any route. Does it not make routes based on the start and end points plus preferences, and then show the routes for preview?
  8. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    It should show you the route (only one, no alternatives). And then when you tap 'Start trip' Navigation should start.
  9. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. It doesn't show any route. Just shows the icon outside my place. I'm in Japan and have downloaded the offline Japan map.

EFAD9EA8-763E-47E3-A734-D3808C46C865.png
  10. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming you are in the main screen? I'll take a detailed look tomorrow to see what's going on.
  11. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I played around with it a bit more and I got it to show routes. I'll try to use it and get back to you if I have questions. Cheers.
    gve likes this.
  12. RoadRider13

RoadRider13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As Guido said. I had no issues with mine. Worked like a champ. Now if we can just get the New England weather to cooperate so I can use the app!
    [​IMG]
  13. Melensdad

Melensdad Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Oddometer:
    It is not intuitive to learn.

After you input the destination you do NOT click the start button, instead you click the arrow on the right and that takes you to the route
    twinrider likes this.
  14. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    I agree this is not intuitive currently. Intuitiveness will hugely improve on the big update: http://www.motomappers.com/blog/scenic-big-update-sneak-peak/
  15. Melensdad

Melensdad Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Oddometer:
    WOW

LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS UPDATE

Thanks for link. The app is very good (after I figured out how to use it) but the update looks like it will be awesome.
    gve likes this.
  16. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    I dont like the route planning in Scenic. HOWEVER! Because Scenic will directly import routes created in Furkot (where I do ALL my planning) it is exceptionally useful. I do have to go back in Scenic and double-check the route as there have been mistakes. But double-checking should be SOP anyway. That importing from Furkot is the only reason I paid for the upgrade. That's how much I use and trust Furkot, and how important that feature is for me.
    PTJCAL likes this.
  17. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Furkot import will be improved in the big update. Stops in a trip will transfer to Scenic too, and also the differences in the Scenic route compared to the Furkot route will be less (if not gone all together).
  18. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is furkot the only routing that will import to scenic?
  19. valkraider

valkraider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No.

Guido started talking about it in March 2017 (as far as I can tell that’s the earliest I could find).

In July 2017 he said aiming for “March 2018”

In October 2017 he said “next season”

Feb 2018 he said “aiming for April”

In April 2018 Guido said “aiming for June/July”

End of June 2018 he said “very delayed: End of this year”.

December 2018 update was “will post something before Christmas but it won’t be a beta”

January 2019? : “Aiming for beginning of May in the App Store”

Now April 2019: “had to shift to June”

Let me be clear, I have defended and supported Guido for two years now. I purchased the full everything, the second most expensive app I have ever purchased (the other most expensive app is also a navigation app).

I work in IT software development. I know about estimates for delivery. I actually run my delivery teams with this ideal:

The bad taste of a missed deadline goes away faster than the bad taste of a poor product.

However - we have just seen promise after promise and delay after delay.

I have even convinced two others to buy the full package and they are giving me a hard time about it.

The old app is incredibly outdated (and doesn’t fill the whole screen on new phones).

Is the new version realistically coming any time soon? Like realistically?

Other apps are catching up in feature sets and offerings.

I want to support Guido. But No, he has not been “pretty clear” about a May release.
    Midwesttrekker and Magus like this.
  20. RoadRider13

RoadRider13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No. Any app that will export a gpx file can be imported. I've used Rever Furkot and MyRoute to import.