Scenic - iPhone & iPad App Alternative to Garmin Zumo and TomTom Rider

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by gve, Jul 18, 2016.

1. valkraider

valkraider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A feature I have been searching for and trying all kinds of apps, is better visibility into surface type.

I want to know if a road is paved.

This needs two components:

1. Display- need to clearly differentiate Unpaved roads in the display.

2. Data- not sure where to get this, I currently use crowdsourced maps on gravelmap.com but that's just a web page.

You could track your own crowdsourced data. Have a big easily tappable button to allow riders to report "pavement ends" and "pavement begins" points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    This is not something I'm planning to add to Scenic at the moment. However the Furkot online route planner might be able to help give you insight on paved vs unpaved during planning. (DRTBYK might be able to tell you more about that). And then just import that route into Scenic.
  3. valkraider

valkraider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1

I downloaded and played with Scenic last night, looks promising.

But high contrast modes are essential. The "outdoor" scheme is decent, better than the normal for sure - but a very high contrast mode would be excellent.

Between sunshine, glare, tinted helmet visors, and even possibly polarized sunglasses - we can use all the help we can get for visibility.

outbacktm and WhicheverAnyWayCan like this.
  4. valkraider

valkraider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have not used it on the road yet - but does it show current speed while you are driving?

Another thing which I like is altitude. Having an option to show current altitude is cool - especially when riding in the mountains.

We had that on one of our in-dash navigation systems on one of our cars and I loved it - because we spend so much time in the mountains it's really cool. It's a feature not many mapping / GPS solutions offer. :)

5. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    I downloaded yesterday and have been playing with it on-road for a couple days. This looks to be the closest thing I've seen yet as an easy to use and very well laid out APP. I'll likely buy the whole shebang (service) after a few more days of tinkering with it.
    Anyone here with more testimonials on it's off road usefulness?
  6. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Yep. That's on the planning for the 'big' update I will be working on in the winter (hopefully available before the start of the new motorcycle season (march/april) (in the northern hemisphere)
  7. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Yes. It displays current speed.
    Altitude...also on the planning for the big winter update (see previous remark). Will make sure you (optionally) can display it all the time while riding.
  8. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    I'll leave the testimonials up to the others out here, but from the developer perspective I can tell you the following:
    - Scenic does support Offroad riding.
    - When importing a GPX it tries to match the GPX to the existing road network. If the dirt roads are not on the map you can save an imported GPX as 'offroad'. You only want to do this if the roads are really not on the map, because for offroad routes you don't get turn by turn and voice guidance. Navigation is only 'follow the line' for those.
    Some more info in the FAQs section in Scenic Settings (last question).
    rainmaker8, outbacktm and Zubb like this.
  9. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    Just a thumb's up...

I installed the app and watched the videos on your website. I am a complete noob about GPS and mapping. But I got a route planned (on google maps), converted it to GPX, emailed it to my iPhone. Loaded up Scenic and took off.

210 miles later I am totally sold on this app! I downloaded a couple of western states so I have offline maps. It does everything I want.
  10. jlp6

jlp6 pacman63

Oddometer:
    Is this only for iPhone or do you have an android version?
  11. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Only iOS so far. I really want to go to Android too, but it depends on how the iOS version will do. Building and maintaining an app for 2 platforms costs time and money so I first need to see if it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Battmo and WhicheverAnyWayCan like this.
  12. valkraider

valkraider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used the app for a few hours and about 100 miles this morning.

Pretty decent. Here is my unsolicited feedback - take it or leave it. :)

[​IMG]

1. (Purple) I am not sure if this is because of the OSM data or something you are doing in-app, but it seems like "street name unknown" probably shouldn't happen when on the main north south interstate on the west coast. It seems like the "I5" is known somehow, maybe the street name should fall back to the route designation if there is no given name?

2. (Red) The current speed is really small for something I want to glance at a lot while riding. Maybe it could be at least as big as the font at the bottom that shows how long I have been recording? Also - in the black theme when the speed goes red it is near impossible to see. It's better with the cream theme but still not good when red. Maybe that will be addressed in the "high contrast" update you are working on.

3. (Yellow) there is an awful lot of wasted real-estate up top there by street name. Personally I don't even care about the current street name - but an option to have it be smaller would be nice - as that real estate could be used for more mapping.

4. (Green) the "stop" looking button is actually a menu button. I actually didn't figure that out until I went to actually stop the recording. The stop icon obscures what this button really does. Maybe change it to one of those sandwich bars icons which signifies "menu"?

Overall, a nice app.

The clock (current time) could maybe be a little bigger. I would prefer the current time be more prominent than the amount of time ridden - but that's just me.

Good job - it's certainly nice.

13. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback. Really appreciate it!

1. Yeah, it's the OSM data. Even though the road name/nr is graphically on the map, the street name data is a different OSM source. Working on an update now that will include updated maps (more recent extract of OSM data.)

2. Good point. Will make it bigger for the upcoming update.

3. When you are navigating a route or to a destination a lot more info will be in this area. Like distance to next turn, image of upcoming turning point, exit nr if applicable and street name of the street to turn on to. (Similar to the waze UI)

4. Also a good point. Will change to a hamburger button for the upcoming update.

Clock. Same as point 3. When you are navigating these will say something different. The top (big) text will indicate the time remaining to destination and where the current time is now will be the ETA.

If you have any more feedback please let me know. Helps me improve Scenic.

Cheers and thanks again,
    Guido

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  14. bugzilla

bugzilla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For me, this is a game changer. I wanted something that would import and export .gpx files, since to me--that's what was missing from any phone app. As far as navigation goes--I am still a fan of google maps, etc... but to be able to save my track to a PC after a ride, or plan a ride on a PC, or "find scenic routes"--this app has allowed me to put away all of my (admittedly outdated) garmin units and just cram an iPad in my tank bag and hit the road:

GPExportPhoto.jpg
    T
    Gatornation likes this.
  15. valkraider

valkraider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You got rid of ultimate offline?

16. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    I've used the app now a few times on local rides. I like it far and away above any others I've tried. Still learning it's nuances. Thanks for a real winner!
  17. valkraider

valkraider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took the new version out for a ride today, maybe 3 hours or so. I like the small UI changes, things look good!

It did crash a lot today. I think it might have been when I was going from LTE to Edge or no service and back and forth as I drove around the mountains.

18. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:

I had the same crashing issue last weekend when I tried it out. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what was causing the crash, but I suspected it was when I was losing signal like you described. I was in some very rural areas with spotty coverage.

I was able to start the app and resume my trip each time.
  19. valkraider

valkraider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, me too. But I did need to pull off the road and remove my gloves to do so. Which is no fun. ;)

20. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,
    I'm aware of the instability of the latest update. An emergency update to address this is currently being reviewed by Apple. I expect it to be approved tomorrow.
    My apologies for this.
    Cheers,
    Guido