Scenic - iPhone & iPad App Alternative to Garmin Zumo and TomTom Rider

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by gve, Jul 18, 2016.

1. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
  2. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    There's a beta feedback button in the settings tab. Or you can use the feedback option in the testflight app.
  3. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    The beta feedback button in settings tries to open the "mail" app on my phone... which I don't use - it tries to get me to open a new mail account. My testflight app has no feedback option that I can find.

Is this the kind of beta testing you had in mind? :D :baldy
  4. FarmerKeith

FarmerKeith Anything with wheels...

Oddometer:

Will do!
  5. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    OK in that case just use the email scenic@motomappers.com
  6. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to plot a route on Google maps, the start and finish point are the same.It's for a Tiddler tour, Google maps keeps changing my route when I get to a street that is a shorter way back to the start Google Maps will plot that way and eliminates what I have plotted. Anyway around this?
  7. Sabre170

Sabre170 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Google maps probably isn’t the tool you want to use in this case. Try FURKOT. It’s free and you have more control on your route.
  8. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been using "Ride with GPS" which is okay. I'll check out FURKOT. I need to be able to map out street by street following a route sheet.
  9. Sabre170

Sabre170 Long timer

Oddometer:
    FURKOT is awesome. It has a bit of a steep learning curve, but well worth it.

It is my go to for route planning when I have a very specific route I want to take.

It incorporated with scenic 1.xx fine. I’m beta testing scenic 2.0 and can attest that FURKOT and Scenic 2.0 (the beta version) work even better together.
    gve likes this.
  10. iatethepeach

iatethepeach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sjc56, if your interest is mostly in making turn-by-turn routes, rather than trip planning, you may also want to try plotaroute. It's free and doesn't have the lodging/food/points-of-interest overhead of Furkot. Also, as far as I know elevation profiles are not available in the free version of Furkot. They are in plotaroute (a big score for tiddler riders).

gve, I may try the Scenic Android version when it's ready. Thanks.
  11. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll check it out,thanks.
  12. Serp

Serp Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if you can search "my route" (on the fly) for POI's in Scenic? I really like this feature in my Nav V. I often use it for fuel stops and sometimes for other POI's as well when I haven't done a detailed route plan, or have to change my route because of weather.
    Thanks.
  13. Sabre170

Sabre170 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean you want to create a new route using already saved location waypoints? If this is what you mean....forsure able in v2.0 when released. I was doing that with the beta version the other day.
  14. Serp

Oddometer:
    Not a new route using existing points but a completely different end-of-day destination route because of a change in plans. e.g. Deciding the night before or in the morning to change direction with new campsite destination at end of day - requiring new fuel stop(s), lunch stop, and grocery store for supplies. I often end up searching for these "on the fly" during the ride to the new destination point at the end of the day.
    DRTBYK Dan showed me years ago how you could search for POI's using the search function in Nav V with "My Active Route" selected confining the search area to 0.5miles / 0.8km of the active route. Especially useful when running low on fuel and you want to find a gas station on the active route (and not in some completely different direction. (Actually, I use this feature quite a lot, even on routes I've planned in detail because of changes or tweaks on the ride).
    Thanks.
    gsweasel likes this.
  15. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    In Scenic 2 you can adjust (add/remove) route stops while in navigation mode (including adding POI's like gas/restaurants/hotels etc.

One of the beta testers created a video on Scenic 2 which also touches on that. Here's a link to the online version of the newsletter that will be sent out over the coming few hours. It also contains a link to that video: http://www.motomappers.com/blog/moto-intel-report-20190802/
    ontrip likes this.
  16. Serp

Oddometer:
    Thanks, although this doesn't answer my question but the video explains this option well - starting at 7:25. In Scenic; simply add a stop, search for a poi (can be limited to 10km radius of an area), select the overview map (within search), and select the poi on, or near, the route.
    I will definitely be getting this app when version 2 comes out.
    Thank-you.
  17. gsweasel

gsweasel Just wanna see what's around that next bend...

Oddometer:
    Did this ever get answered? (If so, I can’t find it using the search here or the Scenic FAQs themselves)

Thanks in advance!
  18. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Currently not, but I've been working on a big update where this will be addressed as wel as many new features and a new design. It's currently in beta test and will be available mid September.

Here's a video that one of the beta testers made, so you'll get an idea of what to expect:

In our newsletter Moto Intel Report i give regular updates on the progress. Here you can see past editions and subscribe if you'd like: http://www.motomappers.com/blog/category/moto-intel-report-newsletter/.

Hope this helps/explains. If not or if you have other questions please let me know. Happy to help.

Best Regards,
    Guido
    gsweasel likes this.
  19. Chuck77

Chuck77 Adventurer

Oddometer:

What is the current status and likelihood of seeing an Android version of this anytime in the near future?

Is there an email list that we can sign up on to get updates only about the Android version progress or release?

I just scanned back 9 months and could not find much in the way of any updates on Android versions or developers working on Android versions.

Thanks!
  20. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Android by end of 2020
    portabill and iatethepeach like this.