Scenic - iPhone & iPad App Alternative to Garmin Zumo and TomTom Rider

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by gve, Jul 18, 2016.

1. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Nice!!! Be aware of overheating during (sunny) day time though. If the iPad (or an iPhone for that matter) is behind a plastic cover without ventilation it can't get rid of its heat like normally. It rarely happens, but just in case.
  2. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Got a lot of questions on the In App Purchass. It was too complicated with all the alternatives (Credits / 'Pay as you Go', Premium, Ultimate, Ultimate Offline) so decided to simplify it. Now you've just got Credits and Premium. Premium access through a yearly subscription (now auto-renews) or a one time 'Forever' purchase.

Users that already purchased it will keep it of course.
  3. valkraider

valkraider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    But it looks like the Premium doesn't include offline maps, is that right? Offline maps always require credits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Correct. Premium forever substitutes the normal Ultimate. Ultimate Offline no longer exist. Users just have to buy credits to get offline maps. For most users (unless you need A LOT of offline maps) price of premium forever + credits will be more or less the same as Ultimate Offline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  5. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried to buy an $8.99 year subscription today and it fails. However, I was able to buy a package of 10 credits. It also looks like I can purchase a $49.99 forever subscription if I would like.

Here is the message I get.

IMG_4520.PNG
  6. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I missed it somewhere in the thread, but is there a way to reverse directions once arrived at the destination?
  7. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Just sent you an email on both your questions. Let me know if you have any other questions. (I usually respond fastest through email).
    Cheers, Guido
  8. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    If you load the maps offline...no issue with signal. I rode an 80 mile complicated backroad loop two weeks ago, with no cell signal available. Worked perfectly.

Good thing too...I had no idea where I was. Had never been there before (lost coast area, NorCal)
  9. Gatornation

Gatornation Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

Oddometer:
    When you upload a GPX file and it's says some of the route are unnamed trails, is it better to save standard or follow the line?

10. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    What's the exact message you are getting?
  11. Gatornation

Oddometer:
    I don't remember the exact wording but to the effect of "some of the route isn't available (trails). Voice navigation won't be available, would you like it to be saved as follow the line?"
  12. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Ok. I think you got the message that the route couldn't be calculated because some of the points are on unmapped (dirt) roads. In that case I recommend first to try and move the via points a bit to see if that changes anything. If not you can always save as 'offroad' (

Gatornation likes this.
  13. Gatornation

Oddometer:
    Okay. Some of the "roads" were definitely trails. I was just wondering the best way to save it. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  14. valkraider

valkraider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You posted this after he released some bug fixes. Were you using the old version or the new version (and there was another update today to fix even more bugs).

15. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just downloaded and tried this app today. When I got home I removed the mount for the Montana from the bike.
    This app worked great with a couple of exceptions. It crashed a couple of times. I was in a low signal area and I haven't downloaded any offline maps. Not sure if that was the cause. The second issue I had was every turn would shown a straight arrow until I got within a mile or two of the turn. It would then correct itself and show the turn.

Overall though, this app is fantastic. Thanks, Guido! Hopefully the android version is coming so my riding buddy can use it.
  16. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Always nice to hear
    An update was released today with some bug fixes and stability improvements. The new version is 1.33. You can see the version number in settings, all the way at the bottom under reference. Were you running that version?

17. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My current version is 1.32. I see the update available and I'll do it now.

Is the monthly subscription still available? I'm getting an error when I select that option.

Thanks your quick reply.
  18. gve

gve Guido

Oddometer:
    Dropped the monthly. A few posts up I explain why.

Also, there is a problem with the yearly subscription and the 25 credits purchase (you can't purchase them). Releasing another update to resolve this in the next few days.

919nick likes this.
  19. valkraider

valkraider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I downloaded the new version today (1.33 build 1) Then I went out for 4 hours of riding, using downloaded offline maps.

App still crashed twice in the first hour. I stopped using it and switched back to my NAVIGON.

Coincidentally, after I switched apps and let Scenic run in the background - it didn't crash anymore for the rest of the ride - and successfully tracked all of my remaining ride (even though I was in the middle of nowhere - on fire roads and forest service roads.

Maybe it is something on the front end display?

20. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    I loaded it around last week of September. Haven't updated it since then.