Schitzophrenic Chatter

Discussion in 'Canada' started by rob1313, Mar 11, 2014.

1. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike and the new place. Sounds like it'll be a great set up.

I figured you'd likely end up on an S10 smurph. Hope you find a killer deal. I'm thinking it'll be another year or two for me and I'll be looking for the same machine
  2. rusty43

rusty43 cruzincariboucountry Supporter

Oddometer:

I could make this trip, there were few details on the HU website. My 950 will likely have highway rubber on it for those spectacular twisties. Are there "rides" on offer or is it just a party by the lake for the weekend? I am waiting for spring.
  3. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    The rides are mostly just thrown together by the riders who attend. I'd say there were easily 100 bikes 2 years ago. Everything from KTMs to KLRs to BMW and everything else.

Mostly the event is about attending the talks. Riders who have done areas of he world you'd like to try next, there is a workshop on temp bike fixes to get you out of a tough spot, one for ladies only, another for tire changing.

Also a skills competition. A slow speed straight line ride, and a keyhole event. Lots of fun.

The dinners are a huge social event. Think a hall full of riders. The event was the highlight of my season two summers ago.

We are all waiting for spring :). If you wait a bit, the website will have better details. If you're camping book early, it's a full campground for the event.
  4. istephens

istephens FJR Pilot

Oddometer:
    The camping has been handled a little differently the last couple of years - the HU organizers have booked the entire Nakusp campground for the event, so there's no booking a site early. Just show up, register, and find a spot.

Ian
  5. rusty43

rusty43 cruzincariboucountry Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I joined the site and looked around and there was quite a bit of info available. Will try to make it for sure.
  6. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    The more the merrier. Ian, thanks for correcting my blunder. Of course I never booked camping, I just took over a corner of your spot :)
  7. istephens

istephens FJR Pilot

Oddometer:
    We're 99% going in 2015, however Louise wants to go a day early just to get same spot again! For sure we'll be "sharing" various corners again ....

ian
  8. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    I'm cheating this year. I've got a hotel nearby reserved. I'll be there to share the campfire though.
  9. istephens

istephens FJR Pilot

Oddometer:
    I did hear that from someone ... that is cheating.

The good thing is that Nakusp is so small that you can stay by the fire at the campground drinking, then stagger/crawl back to the hotel. No need to drive or ride!

ian
  10. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Don't forget your flashlight for staggering home. Its real dark in that campground.
  11. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    You're right. Nice and dark, easy to sleep in the tent. You know except for the guy two tents and a hammock over snoring away.....

I'm bringing my headlamp again. Love the hands free operation
  12. istephens

istephens FJR Pilot

Oddometer:
    Picked up my FJR1300ES today and brought her home - here's some pics ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for the farkling!

ian
  13. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Looks great. What's on the list for farkles?
  14. istephens

istephens FJR Pilot

Oddometer:
    It's a long list. Since Louise is taking my old FJR, pretty much everything is staying aboard and not coming up to the new one.

First up is a fuse panel bracket and Eastern Beaver fuse panel.

Need a tank bag mount - it'll be the SW-Motech gas cap ring like I had on the old FJR.

In order to handle a loaded top case, I need the all metal replacement grab rail and rear rack. Luckily Trent rescued the Givi SR357 rack from his written-off 2013 FJR and I'm buying that from him. I'll need new topcase too.

Then there's the VStrom handguards to put on - I have the stock VStrom parts from Louise's VStrom when put on the Barkbusters.

Next up is wiring for GPS, power for the tank bag and heated jacket, plus a remote plugin for charging stuff.

Probably going to install LED tail lights.

I'll likely have to replace the stock windscreen with a touring version that's a bit taller.

Need a GPS mount for the ZUMO 550 ....

Looking at Canyon Cages for tip over protection ...

Bar risers to get the clip one up and back to reduce the forward lean ...

I think that's about it .... :D

Ian
  15. istephens

istephens FJR Pilot

Oddometer:
    The Calgary Motorcycle Show is Jan 9-11, as usual. So, assuming that there'll be a herd of folks interested in going, I propose meeting up at the usual pre-show breakfast hangout at Humpty's at McLeod and 25th Ave on Sat, Jan 10th.

What say you fellow Schitzo's?

ian
  16. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Happy Holidays too all from Don on the half way mark of a 400 day ride across Canada and all the United States...

If timing works out on the trip, I'll get a second run across Canada once more in the spring, then a grand rap-up of the NWT, Yukon, and Alaska...
  17. OldMedic

OldMedic Trouble Maker

Oddometer:
    Hey to the usual gang of, well you know.

Here's to you for all that you've done.

Thanks for taking the time to check in with me with email and facebook messages, Thanks to all of you for making sure our ride in Rocky went well.

I hope that each one of enjoys the success and growth that you deserve.

I extend to each of you and others, if you need help with anythig, please never hesitate.... :)

Take care.....

Hoping for a beverage tech night soon in Edmonton...
  18. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Ah darn it OM you just missed out. We had one just after Christmas. We opted to abuse one of our guys hones rather than impose on some innocent barmaid.

As for checking in on you, we just look after you the way you'd look after us.
  19. OldMedic

OldMedic Trouble Maker

Oddometer:
    Checking my facebook, nope.... Checking my email, nope.... Checking my phone, nope.... Seems I missed the invite....... Hmmmmmmm

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot....
  20. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Bastards, all of us.