School me Sparky!! - Spark Plug Variety

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Greebe, Nov 1, 2018.

1. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I have to say that I don't know what the actual cause is but I put a non-resister plug in my 07 4RT by mistake once and it ran like crap tell I switched it back so there is at least something going on when you don't have one on the Montesa's.
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda has always needed a resistor plug.
  3. Thesolidman1

Thesolidman1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This kind of thing only happens in trials, it seems. How hard can it be to find out what the proper plug is, and yet there is conflicting info.

"First you can never believe anything written in a manual, especially if has been translated. Second these people are lazy, one year looks as good as another."
    I think information should be better from the mfg's and distributors. Along the same lines, I was just looking to research some info for a new bike, and the US distributor website is still featuring 2016 model info. This stuff doesn't fly in other industries.
  4. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I get it now. The ECmodule's more complex electronics can have circuits excited by more robust RF energy pulse of a non-resistor plug. Little RF shielding on the module, apparently.

I don't think there are 'proper' plugs other than size and heat range. The resistor thing with ECMs is a new one for me. I never would have thought of this. Good to know.
  5. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the last generation Italian Husky 125 2T's.... Digital ignition that ran an NGK "B" plug and if you put a resistor plug in it, the bike would run like crap.
  6. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always learning!

Just heard a talk last night on how not all mitochondrial DNA may be inheireted from Mom. That could really turn human history on it's head! It was 'settled' science ya know!