School me Sparky!! - Spark Plug Variety

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Greebe, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does the enamel hold up on fasteners even at higher torque requirements like head bolts/studs?
  2. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They worked for me and thanks.
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Years ago I purchased one of those hot coat guns from Eastwood. I drill holes in copper flashing,drop them in and powder coat them.works great on Allen heads but tends to chip on nuts and bolts.If I am working on other people's bikes will clean and coat with antisieze. Unreal how well that stuff stops corrosion. I always wanted to try cadmium coating but never seem to find the time.
    Ymirtrials and Brewtus like this.
  4. Thumbster

Thumbster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, for us in the back of the room...

Denso W16FPR-U = NGK BPR5HS

Is that correct?

From what I have read the Denso “F” and NGK “H” designate 1/2” (12.7mm) reach.

The Denso “16” and NGK “5” are heat range but I don’t know if they’re similar.

The P and R on both plugs mean projected electrode and resistor (insulated).

The Denso “U” indicates it’s their standard (not fancy) plug and I assume the NGK “S” means the same.

I don’t know what the Denso “W” or NGK “B” means.

fwiw the Denso W16FPR-U came with my 2018 Factory Sherco 250.
  5. Thumbster

Thumbster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To answer my own question. I found this heat range chart on NGK’s site.
    9823683A-6C0F-42A7-B98F-860F025E8C82.jpeg
  6. Thumbster

Thumbster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure the longer 3/4” (19mm) plug will fit even though the manual and 3 dealers say it will. Central Kentucky Motorsports even looked it up on the parts fiche and it said use longer plug.

This is the 1/2” (12.7mm) plug next to my certified McDonald’s straw showing how much room I have to the piston at TDC.

Assuming the 3/4” (19mm) plug is actually 22.56mm counting the electrode that only leaves 4.24mm (a little over 1/8”) between the plug and piston.

I’m no engine builder but I think I’ll stick with the 1/2” plug unless someone can convince me otherwise. 1/8” seems pretty close.
    2EFEEDE9-4777-4497-B422-AF3ABF23195D.jpeg