Schuberth C4 Pro Helmet Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by VR46, Oct 18, 2018.

1. VR46

VR46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Schuberth C4 Pro Motorcycle Helmet

Schuberth has released the successor to the Schuberth C4, the schuberth C4 Pro. At first sight the C4 Pro doesn’t show any changes or improvement compared to the C4. This modular helmet has been improved on several points, some of which had caused problems with the C4. As far as safety is concerned, the C4 was already a high quality helmet and they kept it that way with the C4 Pro. In terms of ease of use and comfort, some things have been improved. The lining has been changed to velvet-like material, which feels comfortable around the head. Probably the most visible difference also. At Schuberth, they have taken feedback from their riders very seriously in developing the C4 Pro. This is very clear in the position of the microphone in the C4 Pro. With the Schuberth C4 the microphone of the communication system (advanced) was at the top of the helmet and now they have incorporated it into the cheek piece. This makes the sound cleaner with less wind noise. The communication system (Standard & Advanced) and battery were actually somewhat loose in the housing and this could give some vibration and annoying noise in some cases for the rider. This is solved with the C4 Pro, because everything is applied more firmly. Furthermore, this new helmet is 50 euros cheaper than the predecessor. The main competitors of this helmet are the Shoei Neotec 2 and the AGV Sportmodular

Safety Schuberth C4 Pro
    The safety of the C4 Pro is of a high level, as we can expect, from experience with the C4. The shell was created using Schuberth's DFP (Direct Fiber Processing) technology. With this technology the helmet shell is produced in 3 different sizes. The shell is shock-resistant and consists largely of fiberglass. The EPS inner shell consists of multiple densities of EPS. This enables a better impact absorption. The improvement here is that the inside shape is now rounder compared to the predecessor that is more oval. The big advantage is that the material used leads to a super lightweight helmet, especially for a modular helmet.

Noise insulation Schuberth C4 Pro
    Modular helmets are known for being noisy. The schuberth C4 Pro is the exception to the rule here. It is one of the quietest modular helmets out there, if it is not the quietest. It has been extensively tested in schuberth’s wind tunnels and it has great aerodynamics which contributes a lot to the stability and silence in the helmet.

Ventilation Schuberth C4 Pro
    The ventilation in the C4 was already exceptionally good, but the closing mechanism left something to be desired. They have taken a good look at this issue at Schuberth and they have come with a new closure in the chin part and on top of the helmet. These closures on the C4 Pro are stronger and more stable than with the predecessor. The air inlets on the chin and on top of the helmet can be operated with glove friendly push buttons on the chin and a slide on top of the helmet.

Visor Schuberth C4 Pro
    The Schuberth C4 Pro visor has a wide field of vision. The pinlock visor is scratch-resistant and anti-fog. With the C4, the Schuberth house brand pinlock sometimes caused problems. This issue kept coming back. With the Schuberth C4 Pro they switched to the original Pinlock © lens to prevent the problems that their own version of the pinlock gave with the predecessor.

Lining Schuberth C4 Pro
    The renewed lining of the Schuberth C4 Pro is not only comfortable and soft but also looks nice. Probably this is still one of the biggest improvements compared to the old C4. The soft lining is removable and washable. It certainly also contributes to noise reduction in the helmet. The lining quickly absorbs moisture and also dries quickly.

Features Schuberth C4 Pro
    Helmet type: Modular helmet
    Helmet material: DFP Fiberglass
    Inner shell: More layers of foam that consist of different densities that give extreme impact absorption
    Lining: Velvet-like material that is removable and washable
    Closure: AROS anti-roll chin strap system
    Communication system: Optionally available Schuberth / Sena SC1 standard or advanced communication system. Speakers and microphone pre-installed
    Ventilation: Extended ventilation system with multiple air ducts
    Visor: Anti-fog and anti-scratch pinlock visor with extremely wide field of view
  2. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been using my C4 for about 1 year now - only about 6000 miles of usage. It sounds like they've addressed many of the things I would call "issues": most notably the pinlock, the microphone placement as well as some fitment issues for the SC1 and battery.

The only issues I've had are a small area of fog I consistently get in the cooler temps. I rode for 3 days in the rain last week (all-day type of rain, not just intermittent showers) and the inside of the visor stayed mostly dry. Fogging was very minimal as well and didn't cause me any trouble. I've adjusted the pinlock cam-screws to get the lens as tight as possible. I still have a fog spot in cool weather. For comparison, my old Shoei Qwest (half the price of C4) had a pinlock visor that simply worked. No stupid adjustments to fiddle with....put in the lens and it sealed correctly....bada-bing bada-boom.

The microphone placement is not great; any wind turbulence hitting the top of the helmet will cause vibration and distortion to the audio that your comm partners hear. Again, your comm partners are not hearing wind across a microphone. They are hearing muffled distortion. For example, if I tuck behind my GSA's windscreen my wife can hear me clearly. If I hold the forehead area of my helmet with my hand, she can also hear me clearly (although you'll look ridiculous doing that!)

My battery seemed slightly loose in the socket - I fixed that with 1 piece of duct tape. The spring clip inside the socket now grabs the battery and 1 layer of duct tape. This holds it into the socket more snugly and seems to alleviate the issue of the battery losing contact and therefore shutting off the SC1. This never happened while riding, but if I would take off the helmet and put it down on a table, the "shock" of putting it down seemed to be enough to cause the battery to lose contact......this was only some times....not really a big problem that I experienced.

This was my first Schuberth. Not sure I'd say the C4 was worth the money - I bought a black one, so it was cheaper, but in hindsight, I think I should have waited for the Neotec2 before buying it. I was really drawn in to the integrated comm's. Neotec2 has this as well, now.

I guess in the end, a Neotec2 and Schuberth both setup with Comm units are going to be close to the same price. But I'm still not sure I see the prestige of the Schuberth. Its very nice and high quality, but certainly not above Shoei.

One other thing I'll be curious about is the shape of the C4 Pro. This may sound funny, but in all my years of riding I've never had a helmet that was as slippery and round as the C4. I find the shape of it hard to handle - its like a greased pig that just wants to slip out of my hands if I don't pay attention. My qwest never felt that way; the Arai Quantum before that never did either.

I think the C4 only has 2 shell sizes now - again, for a premium brand, that's just doing things cheap. I wear a size Medium, but I'm penalized with carrying a larger shell on my head since I think the Medium helmet is the larger shell size.
  3. rod172

rod172 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will be interesting to see real world reviews.
    TuonoBiker likes this.
  4. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonder if the original C4 can be retrofitted with some of these changes?
  5. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was wondering too. For instance the faceshield - if I'm having troubles with my anti-fog insert leaking, will they replace it under warranty with the new design?
    VR46 likes this.
  6. Heli

Heli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No wonder my online order of a C4 from FC-Moto was so much cheaper a fortnight ago!
  7. VR46

VR46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you have an issue with your pinlock lens, you can simply send it back and you'll get a new one. Normally, any official Schuberth seller should provide you the same service.

Pinlock: yes because it has the same visor, so normally you should be able to retrofit the new Pinlock lense on the C4 visor
    inner liner: they say the inner shell of the C4 Pro went back from oval to a rounder shape like the C3 Pro, so sounds a bit unlikely that you can retrofit this liner into the C4 inner shell? But this will be confirmed once they are shipped out.
    ventilation clips: they are manufactured like this, so not really able to retrofit (but I guess if this breaks off from your C4, they should be able to install the one from the C4 Pro because the dimensions and shape are the same)
    TuonoBiker likes this.
  8. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is so true. My riding buddy has the C4 and I cannot clearly hear him anymore. All garbled to the point where we cannot have a normal convo until we are at very low speeds. Very frustrating. He had the C3Pro with the SRC and it was clear until he switched but then again, he had the boom mic in front of his mouth. I'm wondering if the Mic can be moved on the C4 to the location of the C4Pro.
    TuonoBiker likes this.
  9. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was a great idea, just poorly executed. And, honestly, not sure how they missed it in their testing...Then again, tested behind a big windshield, you might not experience the issue.

If I can get a new pinlock under warranty, I might do that this winter...
  10. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went after 5 Schuberth (and BMW made by Schuberth) helmets to the already old Shoei GT-Air with a Cardo system.

The GT-Air is the best choice I've made sofar. For statistics I'm 6'4" and ride with mini screens since riding. Helmet much in clean air, I've had and still have custom raised seats. The Shoei is much more quiet to me (shortly tested without earplugs up to 70mph). With my Bose QC20 it is simply great

I'm not going to comment on the comm system, aside from the fact Schuberth has always been years behind on what's current. Why you want to pay a premium for their comm system is beyond me
    Alexander B and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  11. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sena is by far the most "current" of all the comm's out there...Schuberth was very smart to go that route. They just didn't place the mic in a great spot.

I think i'll be going with the Shoei Neotec on the next helmet in a few years.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  12. VR46

VR46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The dedicated Sena systems indeed are user friendly. The Neotec 2 also uses a dedicated sena system: the sena SRL1. Only difference is that with the neotec 2 you have to install the mic and speakers and on the C4 (pro) those are integrated in the shell. But installing the sena is quite easy and will take about 3 minutes. So no real difference there. Unlike the original C4 there is hardly any negative reviews to be found on the neotec 2. Pretty safe to say that between the original C4 and the neotec 2, the neotec 2 had less returns. Will be interesting to see how the upgraded C4 pro vs. Neotec 2 comparison will turn out to be.
    Oeths and TuonoBiker like this.
  13. Tripped1

Tripped1 Lots of rough edges.

Oddometer:
    The issue there is that the SC1 offered with the C4 is Sena 10x technology, while the the SLR1 is Sena 20x which is a significant upgrade in features.
    VR46, Oeths and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  14. VR46

VR46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The specs on the SRL-1 (for Neotec 2) are not very different from the SC1 Advanced (Schuberth C4 Pro). The biggest difference is basically:
    8 riders (SRL) vs 4 riders (SC1)
    10 talk time (SRL) vs 14 hours talk time (SC1)

both systems:
    - have a reach of 1600 meter (on open terrain)
    - have FM radio
    - have Sena's Advanced Noise Control
    - are controllable via smartphone
    - have voice commands

So I guess it depends if you prefer the hours of talk time or prefer riding in bigger groups. In the end they are both Sena made for that high-end market, so this stuff stands for quality.
  15. Tripped1

Tripped1 Lots of rough edges.

Oddometer:
    Channelization is significantly better on the 20S, as you can jog priorities, on a 10 you are stuck NAVI/phone then intercom then media.....period, so if your navigation of choice does use the standard navi/alert protocol and instead uses the media channel you are stuck, you choose between navigation prompts and your intercom, because you don't get both.
    VR46 likes this.
  16. VR46

VR46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't considering the navigation in this. Good point.
  17. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    So I had a chance to try C4 Pro on today. When it comes to fit, it feels fairly similar to original C4. I would say it doesn't represent huge change compared to recently released C4, it's just what a C4 should have been from day 1.
    IMG_20181106_154030.jpg
    Positives:

• US market will finally get smaller shell size for size M and L. No longer you are stuck with bobblehead XXL shell if you're wearing M
    • New graphic designs are quite subtle and attractive.
    • Carbon version is available. Not sure it it's going to be significantly lighter, most likely just bragging rights
    • New microphone design will make the bluetooth unit way better
    • Light redesign to chin vent should prevent it from falling off daily
    • Pinlock instead of a knockoff
    Negatives:

• The liner material seems to be cheap. It feels very stretchy, like cheap microfiber fabric used on basic sofas.
    • It's not really that different from C4.
    • DOT version is not going to carry ECE rating
    Keep in mind that helmets reviewed in the video from OP are not DOT approved. USA market version will be a tiny bit different internally. So be careful when buying online.

So overall, if you are on the market, C4 is a great buy right now because of closeout prices. If functional intercom and smaller shell is important to you, wait for the Pro version.
  18. VR46

VR46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The biggest positive I noticed when wearing the helmet is probably the renewed inner liner which is much more comfortable than the previous one. This is different from the old C4 and adds value to the comfort. All the other stuff is kind of solving issues with the old c4 (especially the poor quality of the knockoff Pinlock lens) rather than introduce new features. It's not entirely different but more of an upgrade to the old C4.
  19. lipsee

lipsee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Old C4,,,, Haha I,m still wearing my C3,,how much better can the C4pro be??? Anyway prices are such that the C3pro is more expensive that a C4 in europe...(if you can get your size) What a todo!!!! I might plumb for a cheap C4 Legancy at around £350(thats a far cry from the days of £550+),,,maybe they,ll drop father....
    greatwhiteshark44 likes this.
  20. VR46

VR46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    why not, the difference between the two models isn't that big anyway