Schuberth C4 Pro Helmet Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by VR46, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    That would be because there are a couple more layers of Dyneema in the shell to satisfy DOT requirements.

D.

2. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So slightly different shell shape?
    I thought it must be thicker = more weight.

I’m just extremely disappointed that my C3Pro fits me very good but new C4Pro is too tight.

I canceled my order this morning for a new Carbon.
  3. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    That's strange. Theoretically they should actually fit the same.
  4. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    That stinks the new one doesn't fit. I'm happily going back to Shoei after this C4 is done. After 1 year, I had to send my C4 back to Schuberth to repair the comm unit. I thought either the battery or comm unit was fried, but turns out the wiring harness in between had a problem (couldn't turn the comm ON and it wouldn't get a charge). Anyway, good helmets, but nothing above and beyond Arai or Shoei. And hopefully the bad wiring was a fluke. I've had my cheap Shoei Qwest w/ add-on Sena SMH10 for about 6 years now and zero issues with wiring.
  5. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly!

So I tried on two different Large C4pros at a local BMW dealer on Tuesday. They don’t fit me. I then tried on a new C3Pro- it fits just like my old one.

I don’t understand. ALL reports state they are the same shell shape...
  6. pHudson

pHudson still riding

Oddometer:
    Real world review here.

I bought a C4Pro with Sena communication because I swore I would never buy another external comm setup. I love my Sena s20 except for the aerodynamic negatives, and so keep it on an older model Kabuto. I wore the Schuberth for as long as I felt was appropriate in the store before purchase.

Positives
    1. I inserted the comms in about 20 seconds, since I'm not tech savvy. Might take only 7 for you.
    2. Sound quality is good for music and intercomm. I was very happy with this.
    3. I've got an extended screen on my GS with a spoiler on top. That configuration has reduced buffetting, but I was still getting a lot of noise. Not so with the Schuberth. My first ride, a couple hours of mixed roads and motorway, was so quiet that I stopped and removed my earplugs just to see if I could ride without them. The answer is no, but it remains blissfully quiet compared to all my other helmets.
    4. Aerodynamics are great. Turning my head is effortless and quiet compared to my helmet with the S20.
    5. Pinlock works, sun visor works.

Negatives
    1. The quiet ride applies to when I'm behind the screen, and is attributable (I think) to the soft materials--the neck roll is fantastic. When I stand up so I'm over the screen, it sounds like when you blow across the top of a bottle. That is, it makes a sort of sheering noise, and is fairly loud. I think this will be a problem when winter ends and I go back to a smaller screen. For this reason alone, I would not recommend this helmet. You'll need to figure out if this is going to work for you. For me it is my quietest helmet, but I can imagine it will be the loudest for some. By the way, the whistling noise I'm talking about doesn't seem to be coming from the visor, open vents, or neck opening. It seems to be coming off the top vent whether it is opened or closed. Maybe I should go for a ride with a piece of tape over the vent to verfiy that it's the cause.
    2. It is by far the warmest helmet I've owned. Mine is the new Magnitudo, which the dealer only had in black. I much prefer a white or light colored helmet. Yesterday's ride was into single digits (upper 40s fahrenheit) and I was cold everywhere except my head. I expect this to be a real problem in the warm months. I think it is because the helmet foam and pads seal so well.
    3. The ventilation, contrary to the OP's review, is in my impression poor. It is of course easy enough to crack the visor open, but that isn't always convenient on bug infested rides. Again, I wonder if I'll be able to wear this helmet in warm temps.
    4. Even on a clear, sunny day with low humidity, the visor area below the Pinlock attracted condensation. I wonder what it will be like on a rainy day.
    5. The SC1 controls are ridiculous. I can't get a number of the commands to work. And it will take me a while before I intuitively know to hold a button for 5 seconds rather than 3, or to tap twice, etc. Obviously this is a function of only having 2 buttons to do everything, but I sure miss the simplicity of the s20's command system. This isn't directly about the helmet, but the reason I bought this one was because of the integration.
    6. After about an hour, I get an excruciating pain on my forehead. My experience is that I almost always second guess a helmet purchase for a week or so because of a hotspot or two that eventually settles. This helmet hasn't improved much at all. My solution has been to bring two helmets for rides longer than a few hours. That way I can wear the Schuberth for the first and last 90 minutes or so to break it in, while spending the bulk of the day wearing something that doesn't kill me.

In the end, I'm not sure I'd buy it again. I want to love it, but am afraid I won't be able to live with it. Just one rider's opinion.

Update: I wore it on a clear day with temps ranging from 7c/45f to 19/66, mix of road and several hours of dirt. In all conditions it fogged up and I needed to open the visor for extended periods. This may be because I've opted for an extended screen. Fortunately the helmet is so warm that even at the coldest temps I can open it without my head getting cold. I'm really starting to worry about what it will be like when Spring arrives.
    Gcs71 likes this.