Schuberth C4 with SC1 comm unit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TuonoBiker, Jan 31, 2018.

1. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy February 1st Eve! Ok, no, its certainly not an official holiday, but I wish it was. Why? Simply because I'm tired of winter and want riding weather to be here.

Anyway, I bought a C4 this past August and held off buying the SC1 comm unit since I started reading about some issues. Figured I'd hold off since it was getting late into the riding season and I could easily do without a comm unit until this spring.

I've searched the forums high and low and it appears to now be a mostly dead issue - no fresh information since around September. Figured it might be worth a new thread.

So, any information anyone can share? Has there been a firmware update for the SC1 to possibly fix some of the noise issues? It seems the biggest things were pairing issues (potential for user error there) and voice clarity issues.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

:beer
  2. t6pilot

t6pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve had mine for about 1000 miles now, took a bit of patience to get all paired
    I opted for the remote controller no complaints when making calls or intercom function
    Follow pairing instructions carefully
  3. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    So as far as audio quality, you don't have any complaints? I can deal with getting it paired, etc...the remote controller looks like a wise choice. Also, I don't really care too much about music/phone calls, but mostly for communication to my wife and/or riding mates.

I've read quite a few reports of bad audio quality, etc., I've been hesitant to pull the trigger.
    ed_cool02 likes this.
  4. ed_cool02

ed_cool02 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was considering the C4 with the SC1 also
  5. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like the helmet - fits me quite well, very stable and vents extremely well. I'm coming from a Shoei Qwest...

One of the big things I liked was the built-in comm integration.

I think I'm going to wait until more into riding season and then buy one. I have a Sena stick-on system and it has been fantastic. I've always loved the fact that Sena was always making improvements and would update firmware every year. Their reputation for good products helped draw me to the Schuberth as well. I can't help but thinking if the SC1 was that bad, there would have been updates to the system by now.
  6. ThruTraffic

ThruTraffic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure I haven't lost faith in Schuberth. I've always had one since they first came out. Loved every one of them. I wanted the C4 and the SC1 last year and kept getting told to wait two weeks, a month, then three months, etc. When I read about all the SC1 problems with no word from Schuberth on repair and then finding the US helmets couldn't pass DOT spec and I still haven't seen a DOT Pulse other than a black, white or phosphorescent yellow around here. I've got to the point where I find myself asking 'what happened to the Germans (engineering context)'? I need a new helmet, my C3 is on it's second set of pads and the buckle is rusted. I guess I'm going to have to try and find another C3 or a different vendor..
  7. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear what you're saying; its very understandable. It seems they did have some delays getting them here to the states. I guess I didn't see a DOT certification delay as a big deal. To me it sounded like typical bureaucratic red-tape.

I would put myself in a Shoei Neotec, but didn't since I needed a new helmet sooner than later and I knew the Neotec was soon to be redesigned. And, the idea integrated comms.

I guess I'll push the SC1 purchase until Spring and then just take the chance. I'm this far in, what's a little further? Absolute worst case, I move on to something else.
  8. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just picked a c4 with SC1 last weekend. Haven’t had any problems and the audio from my ip home with both music and phone calls is pretty good.

I must say it’s not as quiet (external wind noise) as I thingy it would be though. I think my old Nolan might be quieter.

Does anyone know if there is a trick to sealing the visor well every time? I always have to fiddle with it as that little pin lock thing doesn’t always stay closed leaving a crack in the visor and of course more wind noise then. That would be my only complaint so far.
  9. Patek

Patek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my C4 from Europe before they came out in the US. I also purchased a $4.99 DOT sticker on Amazon...

That being said, I have heard some balance issues with the US version. I have not experienced that with mine so perhaps it is an issue with the US shells.

My only complaint is with the speakers, they don't seem to get loud enough. I think I discovered that when going through the BMW nav, it reduces the volume. I will try riding today with the audio bypassing the nav and see if that makes a difference.

I am all for a quieter helmet but compared to my Shoei RF 1200 it is very quiet.
  10. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had mine almost a year now and no problems. Sena did another update last week but I'm not seeing much of a change. I did ditch the Pinlock in favor of a Fog City.
    TuonoBiker likes this.
  11. ZiggyInNc

Oddometer:
    How does that work?
  12. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's an adhesive pane that attaches to the inside of the shield. It's permanant, no leaks, and it works. I've never had a Pinlock make a good seal on any helmet shield. The worst thing with Pinlocks is when dust gets under the film when you're riding off road.
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  13. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear the comm side of things is working. Makes me feel a bit better about buying it - riding season can't get here soon enough! I've been out for a bit here and there, but the snow is still melting off in areas...another rain or two and the roads will be salt free, I think.
  14. Tstape

Tstape Beek

Oddometer:
    Please post what you find out. I just ordered a C4 today. I really like my Sena 20s, but I don’t think it will attach nicely to the C4 so looking to buy a SC1.

If SC1 isn’t a strong performer, then I’ll find a way to rig my 20s to the C4.
  15. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    My dealer is having Spring sale in May, so I believe I'm going to buy the SC1-Standard. The Advanced doesn't seem to be worth it...yeah, extra battery time and 1600 meters vs. 1000 meters, but for me, its more about comm with my wife as pillion. I think the Advanced model also has FM radio, but that's the last thing I care about.

I'll certainly post up a review on this thread when I get it.
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  16. Tstape

Tstape Beek

Oddometer:
  17. RoadRider13

RoadRider13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got the C4 and the SC1 for this year. The helmet fit me very well and is very comfortable. No real complaints with that. Workmanship is top notch, it better be for this amount of money. The reviews made a big deal out of how quiet it was. To be honest I don't really hear any difference between it and my Scorpion Exo Modular [YMMV]. I highly recommend still wearing hearing protection. But it is a lot more comfortable. Love the quick release. The non spring sun visor is great and its button is easy to use and find. Side note to 4-eyes. Pinlock visors are great to keep from fogging up but doesn't do a thing for fogging glasses :-/. First time I have had this issue. But anti-fog for the glasses solved the problem.

Now the SC1 unit. Stupid simple to install. Plug in the unit and plug in the battery (two separate slots). I had no real problem getting the unit synced to my iPhone 7. But you MUST follow the steps exactly. I have found the combo of wind noise and speakers make the sound a little hard to use over 65mph Below that it seems to be fine. My HJC-33 with a shield and running the Sena 10S seemed a lot better at high speed. Voice for navigation is fine at most speeds I travel at. I also bought the extra battery and external charger. I think this is a great idea. Not sure yet on how long the single battery will last playing tunes. But the charger will do both batteries at one time. If you want to charge in the helmet you have to set the helmet close to the charger because the cable is only the standard length micro USB and both the battery and unit have to be in the helmet.

My biggest issue with the SC1 is the location and the buttons. The unit sits relatively far back one the lower part of the helmet. There are two small nubs of buttons for controlling the unit (volume, setup ect). I find it not natural to locate and if you have heavier gloves on it is hard to feel the buttons. It would be a semi minor issue except you must use the button to answer the phone. I use my phone for navigation and have it mounted in front of me. if you answer the phone by touching the answer button on the phone it will not connect to the unit, even if you are using it for nav and music. You MUST answer by clicking the first button on the unit once. This would not be a big deal except for the hard (for me) location and lack of feel through my cold weather gloves. Those living in FL or SoCal this will not be as much an issue with the lighter gloves you can wear. The button issue has had me looking at the handle bar remote. But that is another $125 on top of the $225 unit cost. Plus you have to charge the thing also.

My Scores:
    Helmet Comfort: 5
    Helmet Noise Level [low spd]:4
    Helmet Noise Level [hi spd]: 3
    Workmanship: 5
    5+Hours of were comfort: 5
    SC1 Ease of mechanical install: 5
    SC1 Pairing Install : 3.5
    SC1 Ease of Setup: 4
    SC1 Sound Quality: 3.5

Just my opinion.
    TuonoBiker and MidWestern like this.
  18. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought the SC1 a few weeks ago and finally got out for a ride with it in the helmet. As mentioned by several people, installation is about as simple as it gets. Plug it all in, charge it up. I had absolutely no trouble pairing to my Samsung S7 Android phone. I had absolutely no trouble pairing to my wife's Sena SMH-10. Oh, worth a mention to anyone who thinks they can charge on-the-go. I don't think its possible....as soon as you plug the power cable into the SC1, it powers off the device. Not a big deal....why would you want to charge on the go anyway?

There have been quite a few reviews on the SC1 unit and mostly negative. The negativity ranges from audio quality, lack of ability to hear (i.e. muffled voices in person-to-person comm), pairing issues, etc. There are so many negative reviews that I was very hesitant to spend the money. But, I had the helmet, so it was sort of a no-brainer to buy the SC1.

Buttons: Yes, as pointed out, they are tiny buttons, but they are located on top of larger blocks, which I think are fairly easy to find. Yes, you might have to slightly cock your head to the side; you might reach towards the back half of the helmet. This is simply muscle-memory. Learn where its at and before you know it, you will be reaching right where you need to be. Just my .02.

Audio Clarity/Quality: My 6 hours on the road using the SC1, with my wife on pillion covered a common range of riding (some highway, mostly 2 lane secondary roads at 50-65mph). I am NOT using my SC1 for navigation or music....not that I won't, but my main use is simply comm w/ the wife. Music distracts me and I hate the Nav breaking into the 2-way communication channel if I'm with the wife or riding with friends on their Sena's. It always had that annoying pause until the BT sorted itself out.

The audio on my side... hearing my wife...absolutely fine. In fact, a bit better than my old Shoei Qwest w/ SMH-10 Sena. I think the increased clarity is due to the C4 helmet being quieter than my old Qwest. On my wife's side, she said the new setup was MUCH better than my old helmet. Absolutely no trouble hearing me or understanding what I was saying. When we would go past an open field with a heavy crosswind, she was not getting any wind noise from my microphone, whereas I would get tons of wind noise from hers (simply due to the Sena SMH10 microphone placement on the inside of her chin-guard). However, this speaks very positively to the placement of the microphone on the C4 helmet. With my visor open, my wife still did not experience any wind noise which caused her to tell me to close my lid. In fact, when I asked, she didn't even think my visor was open. Now, this could be the fact that I have a slightly shorter torso than maybe the average 5' 10" guy and I'm sitting behind a 2012 GSA stock windscreen.

So, all in all, I've got to give this a positive review. I would recommend buying one to someone who is interested. The only quirk I experienced is when I took the helmet off, it seems to disable communication. I have no idea how; I haven't looked into that yet. On one occasion, I had to pull the battery and plug it back in before it would turn the SC1 on again. Not sure what that was about either. It happened once. So, are their gremlins? I'm not ready to say that. Does the SC1 communicate with good clarity? Absolutely, it does.

Maybe the people giving all the negative reviews are putting their SC1 through a much more rigorous workout with paired phones, NAV, other riders, sharing music, etc. But, for me....I just want to be able to comm with the wife without yelling over the wind and road noise. And it does that without absolute ease, clarity and simplicity.

Two-thumbs up, IMO.
  19. ZiggyInNc

Oddometer:
    What version is your sc1? Mine was ok with 1.0 but when I upgraded to 1.1 firmware I lost volume!
  20. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine came with 1.1 already on it. No trouble at all. You lost all volume completely or it does not go as loud as it used to on 1.0? Is it on all devices (i.e. Nav, other Sena BT devices, phone conversations or music?)