1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Schuberth Helmets for ADVRiders

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by BoochZilla, Nov 2, 2010.

1. ZLAHiVizBrian

ZLAHiVizBrian So Viz-able!

Oddometer:
    GONG to Emoto and Schuberth for their help! :clap

Thank you!

[​IMG]
  2. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :thumb
  3. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had problems with their face shield popping open? The other day on the freeway it would pop from 'clicked' shut to the 'city' opening whenever i turned my head. Wondering if new visor parts are likely to fix this...?
  4. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's been almost a year since this thread was poked, so I'll give it a go.

Given the radio silence since last summer on the face shield pivot tension, has this been rectified on more recent helmet production?

I am torn between the Shoei RF1200 and the C3. I have been wearing an incorrectly sized (too big) RF900 for the last couple of years. The C3 is only $50 more than the RF12 with current sale pricing. I am leaning heavily toward the C3, but of course the LG in Anthracite is out of stock at the moment . . . any idea on when it may be available?
  5. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The new C3 Pro is great and, yes, the face shield pivot is not an issue anymore. It's way better than the C3. The Pro has an antenna built into the helmet and connects to the new SRC unit. By the way, I had no issues with breaking the helmet in. I really like mine.

Mike

Mike
  6. Jim K in PA

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mike, but the Pro does not offer me enough over the regular C3 to justify the added cost. I also already have a nearly new Sena setup that works great, so no advantage for the built in antennae.

I would imagine the regular C3 and the Pro use the same pivot mechanicals, so if these have been updated on current production then that would take care of that concern.
  7. mikegc

Oddometer:
    No, Jim, the pivot mechanicals aren't the same. That's why, at 80 mph, the new shield will stay open in the "city" position. Also, my Pro fit very well right out of the box and I didn't have to use the spoon-technique to get rid of the protrusion that caused the forehead rub spot. The Pro is much better, IMHO, than the older C3.

Mike
  8. Jim K in PA

Oddometer:
    Thanks again, Mike. Looks like I should take a trip down to Philly and check them out in person.
  9. mefly2

mefly2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new detents seem to be holding up much better ...
  10. mikegc

Oddometer:
    I know where you're going. That's where I got mine. They're good guys!

Mike
  11. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I initially followed a service bulletin about the pivot mechanism for the original C3, but it didn't fix the problem. I had to send it to Schuberth USA and they fixed it so no more popping open at high speeds. It still doesn't stay open, either fully or first detent, at high speed, but i have an adjustable windshield that is dumping dirty air on my head right now. Have never had a problem sealing shut from the city setting, just the larger detents. This seems like a minor issue, a larger complaint is lack of air circulation in warm weather behind a shield. Great for cold weather, but i need to lose my larger windshield for summer or go back to my crappy fitting, poor air sealing HJC...
  12. TEXenvy

TEXenvy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am seriously considering buying this helmet from Revzilla but for the price I would like to ride with the visor fully open when hot out. Does anyone at revzilla have any input??
  13. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not with Revzilla, but i went back to my itty-bitty stock windscreen on the Dakar and the shield stays open as long as i am sitting up in the clean air, even when i turn my head. It is only when i tuck way down on the tank and tilt my head down slightly that the "dirty" air will catch the shield and close it. On something like a naked bike it should do fine, or if the flow over your windshield is smooth it should behave well also...
  14. mikegc

Oddometer:
    I'm not with Revzilla either. The C3 Pro has a definite advantage over the older C3 as the shield stays where you want it. In hot weather, I often ride with it mostly open and, at legal speeds, there's no problem with it slamming shut. As Don said, you can catch a little dirty air occasionally and the shield will "self-adjust" but that doesn't happen often.

Mike
  15. TEXenvy

TEXenvy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was able to go to a dealer that carried Schuberth today, I was a little disappointed. My head measured 59cm exactly so I went with the large size first, it was pretty tight and pressed my check more than expected. Also I could not fit my thin frame glasses in the sides. I then figured to try the XL, the helmet wobbled around on my head it was so big. Whats the deal??? BTW it was a C3 Pro. I really want this helmet to fit, are the cheek pads customizable? Thanks!
  16. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    The deal is that people have different shaped heads. For HJC and some other manufacturers, i need a XXXL to fit my head into a helmet, then it wobbles around a bit. The C3 fit me in an XL and is perfectly snug. Make sure to try on any helmet before purchase, like you did, or be prepared to spend time/money on returns.

But yes, C3 cheek pads are available in different sizes and i'm pretty sure they are interchangeable. Also if you go to the site in the above link and look at the C3 (pro?) reviews, i recall the editor was in between sizes like you were and they found a compromise involving a change of liners... [edit: the more i think about it, maybe the editor was just suggesting a different sized liner and i was thinking of the new liner that fixes the 'mark of the Schuberth instead? Either way it is worth reading the C3 reviews at that site if you are thinking of buying one.]
  17. RevZilla

RevZilla Best on Two Wheels!

Oddometer:
    Hey TEXenvy,

Take a look at HVB's answer to about the same question from way back in Post 445. Here's my response too:

The Schuberth C3 Pro is made in two shell sizes (XS-LG)(XL-3XL), and while Don Coyote is generally correct that the cheek pads are interchangeable, they are ONLY interchangeable within the same shell/EPS. If you look at our Schuberth C3 Pro Cheek Pads product page, you'll see that you can only swap between these sizes: 2XS-SM, MD-LG, and XL-2XL (3XL is on its own). You'll also notice that the size Large helmet you tried on already has the thinnest 15mm cheek pads available for that size. So you have two options: you can buy a different helmet (Shoei Neotec is a good competitor), or you can endure the tight cheek pads until they break-in and loosen up for you.

Hope this helps!

-DrewZilla

2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2003 Suzuki SV650S
  18. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to tighten the chin bar on a C3?? Mine will not stay up at all.
  19. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus Supporter

Oddometer:
    E-mail Schuberth USA. They have a good tech guy who can answer your question.
  20. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been in the apparently bad habit of hooking my thumb on the chin curtain while pulling the chin bar down so that it goes over my chin easier. After 1.5 years of this the side of the curtain has separated from the chin bar. I can't really tell how it is connected without prying around, and don't want to risk pulling it out further. Are there user-serviceable parts in the chin bar such that i should be able to take it apart without making it worse?