1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Schuberth Helmets for ADVRiders

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by BoochZilla, Nov 2, 2010.

1. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I looked in the manual and could find nothing. I believe I'd give Brian Lee or Mike Talarico a call when the sun comes up in California. Their number at Schuberth is (949) 215-0893.

Mike
  2. sendler

sendler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In case this thread needs one more review.
    I have 50,000 miles commuting rain or shine, day or night, in my Schuberth C3 in North East USA weather. A flip up helmet is so much better than fixed face. The chin curtain is solid and snaps down tight around your throat to seal out the cold and make the helmet exceptionally quiet. And the chin bar is much smaller since it swings around your nose to put the helmet on. Which is a breeze, even over in ear monitors or ear plugs since with the chin open, it is easier to spread. The whole shell is smaller and more aero than any other helmet. Makes slicing through crosswinds and head checks much cleaner with less yanking of your head. The Schuberth looks like a 7/8 scale model next other helmets of the same size. The eyeport is huge enough for full vision upright or full tuck and the visor is high quality and durable and seals shut with no whistles. It comes off and on in 1 second for cleaning via release levers and comes with a fog free coated pinlock that works perfectly to prevent all fogging. The pop down sun visor is also coated and features infinitely variable positioning so you can use it part way down like a car visor to give just the right amount of shading for any condition and change it again in an instant. And the minimal nose cut out eliminates the double vision you get with other sun visors that have too much cut out. The chin vent and the base of the skull exit design flows so much air you may wish for an intermediate position. I keep mine closed if it is really cold or pouring rain and still never get any fogging on the pin lock. The ratchet strap and chin release work very well. Flip the chin bar up to talk or look at a map ect. This feature will spoil you so you can never go back. And the Schuberth is the best. If you live in your helmet two hours a day, every day, in bad weather as I do, this is the only helmet to have.
  3. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm with you on everything but two points;

1) How often do you change your inner pinlock shield? Mine seems to become increasingly fog/frost prone after 6 months or so. I'm pretty sure it isn't coated but made of some absorbent plastic that limits moisture buildup but looses that ability over time. I'm on my second one in as many years and they were similar in working very well out of the box and starting to fog more as they approached their first birthday. At the end i often need to open the chin vent and/or lower the Madstad windshield to make a full half hour commute keeping the road visible. Do you have a full fairing/windshield? It might be different naked.

2) It is a flip-up, not a modular.

But yes, the pinlock does a better job than anything else like it, and this could still be the best helmet out there for regular riders in areas that see cooler weather. Especially considering the latest price drops on the original C3, i don't think i will be switching to anything else when it comes time for a replacement...
  4. sendler

sendler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I only had to replace my pin lock visor just recently after 4 years. And only because it had started slipping down even with both pins in the tight position when snapping the shield down which tore the gasket at the center bottom stop. I don't know why Schuberth wouldn't just bond the pin lock in like the snow sport shields are. They wouldn't even need a coating then.
    The coating is an absorbant gel. If your pin lock is fogging inside, then the seal must be leaking. You can play with the pins to make it fit better. They are offset so you can turn one or both 180* to tighten the fit. I have often wondered if there is a DIY way to soften the silicon gasket with some solvent or adhesive during the initial instaltion so that it would be bonded.
    It is also good to wash the visor and pinlock inside and out when necessary if vapors do migrate in between. Never touch the gel side of the pin lock or sun shade with any type of cloth. Wash them under warm running water with a slight amount of dish soap using your fingers only. And air dry only. By a shaking motion in front of a blow dryer until they are perfectly dry with minimal streaking. For daily cleaning of the assembled shields I use only Plexus
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0R4N1TEQYRCJX5NBQZ7R
    with Photex scanner wipes
    http://www.amazon.com/Photex-Scanne...50623822&sr=8-1&keywords=photex+scanner+wipes
    I say modular since it is the common name for this style of helmet but they are actually better described as flip up.
  5. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    As i understand it snowmobile shields are assembled with inert gas between the panes of the visor. Pinlocks are assembled by the user and trap whatever moisture and other random elements are in the environment at the time. They are meant to be replaced more often than the outer shield whether they lose their absorbancy or are scratched since they are of softer plastic. Of course snowmobile shields are soft plastic on the outside also and are practically as disposable as Kleenex. The one thing that could draw me away from Schuberth is something with a heated visor as the Pinlock frosts too easily (i think the glazed pocket is so small).

I stopped cleaning visors with anything but water and microfiber cloth because manufacturers seemed reluctant to vouch for anything else, even Plexus. Less expense and trouble and has worked fine. The one thing i used to do that i wish i had known about earlier is stopping at gas stations and using their windshield washers on my visor and fairing shield. That stuff usually has alcohol or ammonia and eats away at plastics...

If i'm looking online for product info, i put a lot more stock in places that make distinctions like flip-up vs modular, such as WebBikeWorld or Revzilla...
  6. sendler

sendler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Schuberth could offer a heated, double payne version of the shield for the C3/ Pro and could eventually sell enough to make it worthwhile. Although temps have to be in the mid 20'sF before I get any frosting. Why would a heated shield have to be a softer material?
    Sorry I used the common term "modular". I have edited my post to reflect your preference. Now we will have to get after the webmaster of the equipment sellers and magazine writers everywhere to clear up this discrepancy.
  7. NewToMe

NewToMe safety 3rd

Oddometer:
    I read the whole thread a while back but don't recall if we discussed the new Adv helmet Schuberth will have soon. I saw a proto and it is a flip-up/modular shaped like an XD4. That will be my next helmet. My main complaint with the C3 Pro is a lack of a peak and the sunshade is not dark enough (which reminds me, while I am out, I'm going to buy some tinted window film and cover it today. I usually ride with dark glasses, which is not possible in this helmet (hence it sits while my XD4 gets to ride every day.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are two common types of snowmobile shields; the unheated ones with soft double panes and the electric ones that plug in. I've had the unheated ones from HJC and the main difference with pinlock is they scratch so easily. I've not had an electric one and am not sure if they are double pane or not, but am considering something with that option for my next helmet.

I really would rather not see anyone go after editors to 'fix' errors like the modular misnomer. As an observer, one can get a sense of how precise the writer is being, which is important in relaying info on tech products...
  9. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wear prescription Randolph Engineering sunglasses with G-15 non polarizing lenses with no problems. Your problem may be that you have glasses with polarizing lenses, and they do weird things when used with some face shields.
  10. LTKernel

LTKernel jack of all trades... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unless you spend that time in dirt or really don't like the weight of a modular. Then there's that Schuberth chin buckle that doesn't play well with riding jacket collars and irritates the neck. Or your head doesn't fit the Schuberth head shape and then the comfort of a Shoei Neotech is much more comfortable. Depending on your criteria, Shuberth isn't the best at all. A few others put a lot of R&D into their helmets too, so charging the most doesn't make it the best.
  11. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sendler's review seemed to admit subjectivity and did specify he was commuting, so dirt doesn't seem too likely. The C3 is still ranked 88 out of 251 helmets by weight at WebBikeWorld, about 50g less than the average helmet. It is 200g less than the Neotech, which also currently costs almost $200 more than the C3. Of course the C3 pro is the current model going for an outrageous price, but i've only seen complaints about the C3 chin buckle so assume that is the focus of your comments.

It's odd you should contrast the fit of the Neotech with the C3. A couple of years ago when i was trying on every helmet i could find, the C3 and the Neotech were the only two that felt perfect. I decided to go with the Schuberth because it cost less at the time and i was told the Neotech chin curtain was very pourous, so no good for the cold (another inferrence Sendler made in the review).
  12. LTKernel

LTKernel jack of all trades... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see no admission of any kind. Maybe you assumed that like you assumed that the buckle was my focus?

While your defense of your friend is admirable, my comment was not an attack of Sendler's review. Simply pointing out that fit is highly regarded and what's odd is everyone's head shape. Modular/flip up helmets have never been known for their light weight and as you demonstrated, there are 87 more that weigh less. An important criteria for some. There's a C3 Pro in my house and while it's a pretty good helmet, what makes it good are the fit and features for that individual's needs. Saying it is so much better than fixed face, more aero than any other helmet, and that the Schuberth is the best as statements of fact deserves scrutiny.

I agree, they rank on price and that may just be exacerbated a bit more by the current euro exchange rate.
  13. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never encountered Sendler outside of this discussion, just putting perspective on comments. The review starts by mentioning commuting in all sorts of NE US weather and ends with "If you"..."as I do", so seems very framed by personal perspective. I took many of the qualifying statements as personal hyperbole, especially the closing statement, but even so, what is another helmet that hits all those points at the current price point? The C3Pro costs a lot more. The Neotech costs more, weighs a lot more, and doesn't let you block out air as well. This is an actual question as i haven't looked into helmets in a couple years.

I don't pay any attention to modular helmets, but do think that both the Lazer Monaco and the original C3 were noted for being remarkably light despite being flip-ups. Of the 88 lighter helmets on the list, most were novelty ones that don't come close to offering the same features and quality, while the more recognized models don't actually weigh that much less. You might be orienting your perception of C3 weight on the Pro model, which unfortunately added noticeable weight over the original.

The assumption i mentioned is that the discussion is pertaining to the C3 not the Pro based on your buckle comment, so the "charging the most" quip doesn't fit. You said you have a Pro and if you are generalizing the models as well as having problems with the new chin strap i assumed wrong, but i had the impression the new strap placement took care of problems for most people.

Part of the pricing may be due to exchange rates, but it is also a 7+ year old design that is being phased out. While they last, the original C3s are still a leader for value.
  14. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, the E1's seem to be vapor based upon what was originally stated as a late-March, then mid-April and now mid-May arrival date. Manufacturer's don't keep delaying shipment of a new product unless there is a problem. So, my question is, what's wrong with the E1? Is Schuberth telling you anything?
  15. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Revzilla claims to have them in stock now...
  16. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw their schizophrenic website for the E1. But, I'm expecting a comment from Revzilla.

UPDATE: I did receive a reasonable email explanation from Revzilla regarding Pre-Ordered E1's. I've sense taken my consumer concerns regarding the fulfilling of Pre-Orders to Schuberth.
  17. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    My C3 visor has lost the last few mm of travel when lowering. Did i hear this is a somewhat common problem? I guess i'll be contacting Brian about it...
  18. sendler

sendler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You must mean the sun visor? Mine still works fine after 6 years.
  19. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, sun visor. I took a spill and got some gravel/grit around the temple. I've read of people reporting problems with this from riding in sandy conditions, wondering if anyone managed to fix it without sending it in...?
  20. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    My mechanism is jammed up for the sunvisor. I replaced the ratchet thingy, which is an awesome thing to do. My face shield stays up until 55 mph or so. I LOVE that.