Scooter Camping

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by greenghost, Aug 1, 2019.

1. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be there but I'm dog sitting while my wife is visiting her relatives in Michigan.

Maybe I should get my thyroid checked, I use an electric blanket at home in all but the warmest weather, my wife keeps it on my side of the bed.
    I usually bring a big agnes inflatable sleeping pad. It takes a lot of air to inflate but they have a simple but slightly ingenious dry bag that attaches to the air port on the pad and acts as sort of a bellows to inflate the pad. I prefer my thermarest foam pad because it insulates better but it is bulkier to carry.
  2. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://scooterlab.uk/vespa-world-days-euro-lambretta-a-tour-of-hungary-and-poland-part-3-feature/

Scooter touring is quite a thing here in Europe. The above is just the final instalment of an epic 2000+miles trip from UK right across Europe to Poland and Hungary.
    That's on a an old classic geared Lambretta, albeit with a newly redesigned touring engine of 265cc. mid 30's hp rather then the "racer" version with 50+hp.
    Both classic Lambretta and Vespa clubs have annual "Euro" rallies and here in UK they organise lots of national and regional rallies too.
  3. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that my boys are grown and no longer active Boy Scouts my camping days are over. FWIW, backpacking gear makes great moto camping gear.
    kpinvt likes this.
  4. greenghost

greenghost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I may head that direction or the Susquehanna Valley a little to the south. I have been thinking about sometime in the future getting an adventure bike, but it's not an option at the present time and would probably keep the scoot if I do.
  5. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    You guys are tough. It has been a few decades since I had any desire to sleep on the ground. This is how we scooter camp...

[​IMG]
    MJSfoto1956, wmailhos and kpinvt like this.
  6. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've thought a little about getting an RV but in the end I'm just not that interested. I rented one once several years ago and didn't like the driving experience, it isn't that I don't drive something fairly large now, I drive a F350 crew cab and years ago had a Econoline conversion van, but I don't want to be a bus driver either. My sister had a Ford based one like yours that she bought new, had nothing but trouble with it mechanically and ended up selling after a few years because she found it to be a money pit. That can happen with any vehicle but it would be an especially souring experience for an expensive, entirely discretionary, recreational purchase. Most of the places I camp at it wouldn't fit anyway, but I can see that they have definite advantages too.
  7. greenghost

greenghost Adventurer

Oddometer:

Once you go down the RV road...there's no turning back! :lol3 I'm pushing the big six 0 and not exactly looking forward to it, but going to keep thinking young until the mind catches up with the body or vice versa. Sometimes you just need to challenge yourself. If it was up to my wife...I would have had to give up tent camping years ago.
    The Virginian likes this.
  8. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd love to due the RV & scooter thing like you are but it doesn't really fit in my budget. I decided time my time and health were more important than having enough money to go RVing so I retired early. So unless things change I'll be camping & staying in motels as I travel.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I rode motorcycles and took long trips for over 30 years before I decided to give moto camping a try. I had camped by loading my camping gear and dual sport bikes into my truck but I just thought weighing down a bike with all that gear would take the fun out of the ride. Then I got on ADV and read all the ride reports by riders who went on epic trips and camped along the way. I decided to give it a try. I wasn't sure how it would work out so I went and bought some cheap camping gear and gave it a try. I had multiple bikes at the time but only one that was set up to carry enough gear. That was my Aprilia Sport City 250.

So I went moto camping on it a few times then went on a 5 day four night trip on it camping all but one night.

My scooter all packed up:

[​IMG]

I even did a ride report: https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-long-way-home-huntsville-to-cleveland-on-a-250.803404/
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have a Lance 20' RV trailer which is not used as a "camping device". My notion of camping thus the reason others coined the term "glamping", which probably dates back to when the first dinosaur Winnebagos came along? If I was a FT RV'er (which I would never, ever become) it's not the choice RV for several reasons, but as a light, mostly full featured trailer it suits our ventures well. Using them awhile reinforces what one needs to be satisfied, thus the many classes and brands sold. I got into a search for a walk around bed early this spring then backed out at the last moment as going small is our game plan. We did buy a T@B teardrop which we used for a few years when first retired and dislike the shuffling around to create a bed from a table, lack of serious storage, etc.. We can now tote enough stuff to play outdoors and be happy glampers.
    We shopped around, bought at a discount owned 3 pop-up's when kids were young and are so far from deep pockets it's not worth discussion. We do appreciate a good bed, no rainy day camping concerns and my wife can tinky inside.
    When we go with GK's we are the kitchen, the potty and the game table plus a sometimes dry bed. That son's family prefers tent camping and could afford whatever other style of going outside. It is not imperative to have a huge RV unless you have that mindset that everything must go with you and multiple TV's, baths, etc., matter. I think too many people associate bigger with better, when in fact it's about getting what suits you best.
    I see lots of what could be called serious campers who place a campfire high on the priority list, while we only do a fire when kids are involved. I've burned enough wood to heat my home & shop to get no joy from a CF unless it's a social event. I often see campers who have axes, splitting mauls, etc. that appear to be in the high dollar category one sees in the glamour level wood tools. They split and burn with a grin the whole time their out there while I ride my bike, eat and hike.
    Motels have their purpose but generally speaking we tend to hate on them, preferring to tote our own bed along. I like scoot camping OK plus I can save money for trips like Europe & South America. All said motels are probably cheaper for a now and then stay than any RV but a tent trumps them all for cheap and close to nature.
    kpinvt and greenghost like this.
  11. greenghost

greenghost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In my travels lately, the cheaper motels and the on the endangered list mom & pop motels have been sketchy, many of the cheaper independent motels have turned into boarding houses and house keeping is usually not very good not to mention the sketchy people you may run into at them, so I just avoid these even if it means going out of the way. Sure there are some good ole mom & pop motels that are real gems, but these are not always easy to find. I have also been going the route of the private rentals which I have had very good experiences with and can be a bargain compared to some motels. State Parks are usually cheaper than the chains or private run camp grounds. I travel on a fairly tight budget & when it comes to saving a few bucks tend to roll the dice more then I would really like to, but that is not my real reason to camp. I just enjoy nature and the solitude that you can only get or hope to get while camping.
    kantuckid likes this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I really enjoy camping at the many motorcycle campgrounds we have here in the southeast.

Two Wheels of Suches:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hunt's lodge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Iron Horse.

[​IMG]

Deal's Gap:

[​IMG]

Cherohala Mountain Trails:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground.

[​IMG]
    joker-b, Moat, MJSfoto1956 and 10 others like this.
  13. Lumberjeff

Lumberjeff River City MC

Oddometer:
    From this weekend's T-Town Flotilla. More pictures in the scooter pics thread. 20190803_181619.jpg
    kpinvt, MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  14. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    Yes....
    [​IMG]
    MYUMPH likes this.
  16. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never camp....But then I am in Asia so hotels are only a few dollars a night..
    My longest was from Khon Kaen , Thailand into loas follow the Me Kong river down
    on the Loas side and cross into Cambodia then back into Thailand return north to Khon Kaen..
    5 weeks & almost 2000kms on a Yamaha 125 scooter..

17. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    When I did Banff, ten years ago, it was by Burgman 400.

I didn't even give it a thought, except to bless the fact that the Burgman was basically a wheeled bucket in which to pour luggage. I used to amaze onlookers at how MUCH crap I had with me and would take out.

Two wheels is two wheels. Only difference is, to shift or not to shift.
    Pete-NZ likes this.
  18. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    MC CG's tend to be not only less expensive than state or federal CG's but have amenities that make them the best choice for riders. Take one look at klaviators pictures above, then compare that to many gvmnt CG's where there is little resemblance to the outdoors cause it's all chopped into driveways and utilities and often one cannot see past their neighbors unit visually. Not all are that way though. Our next reservation is in the Big South Fork, Bandy Creek CG in TN/KY. It is very well designed and spacious sites too. It's an equestrian or not type of CG and has modern, clean showers, etc., we really like it there and a great place for the kids too.
    We live in a far more private, woodsy place than most all CG's, so camping is either a means for travel stops or to be near certain natural places or water, OR FAMILY!, no to get away from a burb or apartment, etc..
    When riding, I enjoy the camaraderie of a CG and like minded riders, plus the lower cost, facilities and proximity to the best riding too. I done all pictured above except Hunt's Lodge?
    The camping issue on a GTS Vespa is the gas filler is under the gear. I've changed my tactics to bagging some stuff thus easier to fuel up.
    joker-b likes this.
  19. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I came up camping, cub scout, boy scout, explorer scout, then 7 years in the Army.
    That stint cured me of two things , any desire to camp or shoot guns. No thank you I have filled my quota.
    I do sometimes think about glamping , and would buy a Toy Hauler if SWMBO were in .
    Her idea of roughing it is a motel with an unheated pool.
    The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  20. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Almost as close to a scooter as the proposed CT125 is. Alaska trip '17 DSCF0218.JPG
    The Virginian and MYUMPH like this.