Scooter Cannonball 2020 update

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cdwise, Apr 14, 2019.

?

Are you in for Scooter Cannonball 2020?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2019.
  1. 95-10% Of course, I’m really serious about making it from start to finish

12.0%
  2. 75-95% I’ll be there at the start.

8.0%
  3. 50-74% I’ll make it in 2020 work, scooter, finances permitting

36.0%
  4. 25-49% it’s on my list and maybe 2020 will be the year.

20.0%
  5. 10-24% vaguely interested but not probably not this year.

20.0%
  6. 0-10% are you kidding? Those people are crazy.

4.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    joker-b likes this.
  2. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO

Oddometer:
  3. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    5E9F341E-B4AE-441D-8010-9F65273499B3.jpeg I am not sure yet.

Some friends want me to run but I have started three, finished only one.

It exposes your weaknesses.

In 2014 the variator broke. Easy fix now, I carry a spare and tools on long rides, but I didn’t then.

2016 found me finishing well as I found fast routes and the scooter only had a few minor issues.

But in 2018, I had a spark plug fall apart on day one, then fell off on a dirt road on day two.

I hit my shin hard on something and it bruised and swelled so badly that I ended up in two emergency rooms and had to fly home from Durango. It was a huge disappointment.

I have a saying. “Don’t fall off, it ruins everything”. That was so true last year.

For those who don’t know, I go by WLeuthold on those runs.

Bill
  4. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Work, scooter, finances, and I’ll add a fourth - health. My back’s been a mess lately - all muscular, likely another Fibro flare up.

So - I can’t predict health, I worked my last day Friday (but have no idea what the future holds), I’ll probably have the money (but don’t know how l’ll feel about spending it), and if the rules would be amended to allow up to 292 cc’s it would solve the scooter problem!

In other words, if scooter and health are acceptable it will be much easier to overlook the other issues :lol3
    minimac likes this.
  5. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a definite maybe. It's too far away to make any commitments.
    minimac likes this.
  6. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If Bill (Cash Cow, Leuthold, etc etc) goes then I go. Per my wife who notes his extensive Cannonball experience as a plus. ​
  7. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    He's no fun, he fell right over! We all do with varying results.
    conchscooter likes this.
  8. wbdvt

wbdvt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i am considering it as it would be both a challenge and an experience that could be a once in a lifetime event that I would not want to look back at in the future and regret that I did not try it. Of course there are logistic concerns, finances, wife buy in (maybe CashCow can casually mention it when we meetup in May), etc, but that all can be worked out. Thinking about it, my biggest logistic concern would be getting back from the west coast. I see several options:
    1. Sell scooter and fly home. But it successful in finishing, I would be reluctant to part with the scooter that carried me all the way.
    2. Ship scooter home and fly home.
    3. Ride scooter home. That would be a good option especially if there are other people riding east.
    4. Team up with other riders that have a trailer heading east.
    minimac likes this.
  9. Manrider218

Manrider218 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
    [​IMG]
  10. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to have a scooter prepped and ready. I'm waiting on engine displacement & route. The motor I'm building is on hold, until a decision is made. Mrs.Mini is willing to ride chase for me. It's on my bucket list and I'd really like to at least attempt it. Hopefully, life doesn't get in the way.
  11. cdwise

Oddometer:
    FWIW I'm currently planning on 2020 and my husband intends to drive support our share driving support if others want to share a sport vehicles. For those wondering how to get their.scoots to/from the start there are often support drivers with trailers within a day or two ride who will haul your scoot. I know Doug ask Old as Dirt's team as well as Ken aka Lostboater's team. You take your prepped scooter to them and they haul it to the start with or without you in the vehicle then back to where it was put on the trailer at the end. Riding both ways is also an option. Dave Feb31st on the cannonball forum frwlrquently uses Forward Air to the nearest airport, gets a ride from t e passenger terminal to the freight terminal and rides it away. Price is surprisingly not much different from what some of the better projectile haulers charge. The final option I know of is to have a projectile shower deliver it either to a dealer near the start or another cannonball rider, forum members home.

Or you can emulate Tromper and buy a used scooter sight unseen, come in a few days early and do any necessary prep. There have even been a few times where someone bought a brand new scoot near the start.
  12. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely interested since the start is close by in Maine, which makes only having to worry about getting the scoot transported back to the northeast at the finish. I just have to find a suitable steed for the ride. The 50cc Ruckus and a 50 year old body do not make a good pair for such a journey. Maybe when I was in my 20's.
    klaviator likes this.
  13. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Well there have been 2 Ruckus in previous cannonballs. In 2010 Oz rode a 50 all but a couple days when he had to wait for parts to get back on the road. Last year a highly modified Ruckus with a 150 engine made it to somewhere between Bluff Utah and Trinidad CO where it was loaded on a rental truck back to its California home.

I however understand and 50 year old body issue and wish that mine was in the shape it was at 50 but what the hell just keep moving.
    BMWBUD and klaviator like this.
  14. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should keep my mouth shut. For '18 I was on the launch pad with a fully prepped HD200 then hurt my back and suffered, no exaggeration, for well over 6 months until that resolved so I very regretfully missed the cannonball. While I was in the depths of scooter despair I sold my SYM and honda trail CTs. Over the winter I bought a basket case '71 CT90 and did a Lifan transplant. I have high hopes for doing some back road camping trips this spring/summer and if that works out I might be back in the market for a scooter for the cannonball. Maybe a SYM Symba with a 140-160 Lifan transplant or find a cheap Kymco Agility, big bore it and make racks like this, not quite so large for the front rack.

[​IMG]
    joker-b likes this.
  15. cdwise

Oddometer:
    I’m not sure if a Sym Symba qualifies under the rules as a scooter. It’s been so long since I saw one I don’t remember if it has running boards as stock.
  16. joker-b

joker-b Here and Now

Oddometer:
    Technically an underbone I think?
  17. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    So I am thinking about it too. The dates are actually good for me. I gotta be honest: I don't know if I can do 400 miles a day for 10 days straight. I rode my Honda Monkey from San Antonio to Houston - 215 miles. It took me about 5 1/2 hours. That means I'd have to ride at least twice as long for 10 days straight. Then there's the logistics of it, like getting maintenance done. I love the idea and I definitely think about the bragging rights if I was able to complete such an audacious trip. Having read some of the comments above, I wonder if a Super Cub would be eligible.
    klaviator likes this.
  18. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes the supercub qualifies for SCBR. Meets minimum thee of five requirements.

Dogg you'll be fine cause the route avoids urban areas so it is pretty much constantly moving. With my elite110 I get to the finish around 6pm, leave after 7am. This is door to door, including gas stops, rest etc...hell last cannonball I took an hour nap almost every day and still got in around 6pm. On a SC it should be a little shorter time.
  19. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There’s pretty nice 2017 PCX150 for sale close by, 2017 with less than 500km on it. With a few easy mods it might make a comfortable and reliable CBR steed. Only $2500 CDN pesos too. I could sell the Ruckus for that.
    dwi1963 likes this.
  20. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    After having to cancel out of the last CB I won't be throwing my hat in the ring this early but...I'll be retired soon and that will make it that much easier to pull off so it's a possibility. Unfortunately my only scoot right now is 500cc so that won't work. Depending on size restrictions I'd have to buy something. I have two possible scoots nearby that would work great and both belong to friends that might be willing to sell. One is a BV250 and the other a GT200. I've done all the maintenance on the GT and the BV has low miles and would also make a great candidate. I'd like to give it a shot.