Scooter Cannonball 2020 update

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cdwise, Apr 14, 2019.

?

Are you in for Scooter Cannonball 2020?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2019.
  1. 95-10% Of course, I’m really serious about making it from start to finish

12.0%
  2. 75-95% I’ll be there at the start.

8.0%
  3. 50-74% I’ll make it in 2020 work, scooter, finances permitting

36.0%
  4. 25-49% it’s on my list and maybe 2020 will be the year.

20.0%
  5. 10-24% vaguely interested but not probably not this year.

20.0%
  6. 0-10% are you kidding? Those people are crazy.

4.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The variator holder works on a variety of scooters. Some people don't use one but they are cheap and easier to use.
    DandyDoug likes this.
  2. wbdvt

wbdvt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just saw on Facebook, registration starts Sept 16!
  3. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's happened to GoPam? We need some more good, wholesome entertainment.
    I'd much rather watch her ride the cannonball than most of the crap on tv.
  4. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    She is working!
  5. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Pam has a day job in Hollywood so editing her own stuff is an "as time permits" sideline. She'll be back at it next time she has a lull in her schedule.
  6. cdwise

Oddometer:
  7. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had said I was gonna do it if I got a SuperCub but not sure now. I'm getting the SC this week. Plan on doing Baja this winter.
  8. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd love to see the end of day one and start of day two. Is this something people can generally get close enough to watch? Or does everyone use a similar route so I can park and set up a chair miles away?
  9. OldAssDirtbag

OldAssDirtbag I like ice cream

Oddometer:
    You could go hang out at the hotel with beer and pizza.
    ride4321 likes this.
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Logistics for me are KY to ME = 1,235 miles plus Lubec, ME to Eureka, CA = 3,681 plus vagaries of the actual CB route = 4,916 miles plus the route factor. Riding the whole way sounds like a fun trip but it would take new tires & belt (from home) to make it straight through on luck and inspiration...:-)
    Schedules nor funds are not my concern but liking the route is, as I've traveled enough to not need to see/be certain places around the country. Scenery and camaraderie and the ride itself would be my only motivations. Winning anything left my ego longways back when I played ball, etc..:lol2
    Is the whole route kept hush until the day of reckoning? I gotta like the route to play this thing.
  11. cdwise

Oddometer:
    The exact route is available to registered riders long before the start along with the hotel lists. In 2014 we carried mounted spare tires in the support vehicle basic tools including a tire kit and 2.25 gal gas can on the scooter. Clothes etc also were in the support truck though I carried a change of footwear and pants with or with a change of shirt depending on the weather for the day.

As for visitors end of the day is best since most riders don’t stop to chat while on route. In the past we’ve had folks from Modern Vespa visit at the hotel, join a few rider for dinner or in a couple cases locals have arranged for BBQ for the riders I was part of a group in Texas who hosted a BBQ in Abilene. I also brought Jess a new tire since he had gotten a flat two days before using his spare so he’d still have a spare for the last half of the trip. One of the former support drives brought BBQ to our stop in Tennessee and I believe some folks in California had an actual BBQ before the start in San Luis Obispo.

Mornings other than the first day are not started together. People leave based on their preferences and how late they went to bed the night before. Most seen to leave between 7 &8 but from Abilene some folks left as early as 2am ecause it had been well over 100 the day they arrived and forecast for the first 200+ miles the next day was 114f. So they wanted to get to elevation in New Mexico before the heat really hit. I’ve also know a few “tourists” who slept in and weren’t on the road until 10 but you might find them in a good breakast place not the hotel in the mornings.

If you do come visit at a hotel stop most folks will chat with you unless they are doing work on their scooters. Some may simply be too tired to do much more than say hello. This is especially true later in the Cannonball and after difficult terrain or really long day so don’t be offended if anyone is unsociable. But generally friendly faces especially people who are familiar with the local area are welcome for hotel visits. In 2016 one of the former riders showed up with cold bottles of water and sticks for Tail if the Dragon and Cherahola (sp) Parkway stickers and gave you the one for whichever route you took that day. You had the option if doing either one the way the checkpoints were set up and he knew people wouldn’t stop at Deals Gap to get them. ;)

Comradely is pretty high and most of the time several riders and support people have dinner together and often there are a few beers involved. One rider last cannonball had a sponsor that was either a brewery or beer distributor how sent him a case of beer or two to each hotel that he shared. That was particularly welcome in Utah. ;). Because of the staggered arrival times the whole group only eats together one night, usually the last one. That is reserved for riders and support teams.

I’ll be happy to answer any more questions. I had my knee replacement yesterday so I’m going to be a bit bored with PT as my major activity for the next while.
    kpinvt, kantuckid, sro99 and 4 others like this.
  12. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope everything works out well with the knee. Keep up with the PT. Maybe there'll be some more good videos to watch before long to help keep you occupied. Tell GoPam great work on the day 6's that are out there so far.
  13. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Pam has released 2 day 6 videos. Items to do PT exercises when bored. Should have a PT person coming tomorrow.
  14. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got the bike for the ride and I'm due for a cross country ride and on the GT200. I think it would be a blast. Funds are a concern so I'd do it as simple as possible, definitely looking for someone to share a room with if I don't camp most of the time. I have a feeling the route could be interesting going from Bar Harbor to Eureka. It should lend itself to some good scenery along the way. I'll be waiting til the last moment to see the route although the small registration fee probably won't keep me from throwing my hat in the ring. Pretty sure I know someone in New England you could ship tires to.
    Mike, you're welcome to come to NY and prep your bike at my house if you decide to do the ride. I'm only 600 miles from the starting point. It's a two day scoot from here to the starting line I guess unless you want to get all Iron Buttish and do it in a day.
    kantuckid likes this.
  15. XRangerRides

XRangerRides Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hi CD,
    Thanks for posting up this information.
    Now, where do I go to register for the Cannonball? Will registration be posted on the Cannonball 2020 website, on the SCBR Rider Forum, or on Facebook? Is registration still set to open on Monday Sept. 16?

Thanks -
    Speedtrap likes this.
  16. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. cdwise

Oddometer:
    If previous years are anything to go by you will register on the cannonball. Announced date is the 16th. That will get you access to the registered riders forum.
    XRangerRides likes this.
  18. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Registration is now open. http://forum.scootercannonballrun.com/t/registration-is-open/858/2

• July 5, 2020: Bar Harbor, ME
    • July 6, 2020: Killington, VT
    • July 7, 2020: Niagara Falls, ON
    • July 8, 2020: Gaylord, MI
    • July 9, 2020: Marshfield, WI
    • July 10, 2020: Huron, SD
    • July 11, 2020: Hot Springs, SD
    • July 12, 2020: Rock Springs, WY
    • July 13, 2020: Delta, UT
    • July 14, 2020: Fernley, NV
    • July 15, 2020: Eureka, CA
  19. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not going to happen this year, but I might try to get in on all this fun next year on my Lance 125. Most people consider it a Chinese scooter, but it is actually Taiwanese, and I have put over 6,000 completely trouble free miles on it, most at full throttle. I just put a new back tire on it, then had a major back injury. If that heals, then new tires, roller, a new belt, and new oil should be all it needs to ride cross country.
  20. cdwise

Oddometer:
    According to organizers 25 people had registered by noon eastern. Max registration is 75