Scooter Cannonball 2020 update

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cdwise, Apr 14, 2019.

?

Are you in for Scooter Cannonball 2020?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2019.
  1. 95-10% Of course, I’m really serious about making it from start to finish

12.0%
  2. 75-95% I’ll be there at the start.

8.0%
  3. 50-74% I’ll make it in 2020 work, scooter, finances permitting

36.0%
  4. 25-49% it’s on my list and maybe 2020 will be the year.

20.0%
  5. 10-24% vaguely interested but not probably not this year.

20.0%
  6. 0-10% are you kidding? Those people are crazy.

4.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm one of those 25. I sure hope life doesn't get in the way come next summer other wise I plan on doing my first cannonball. I own a PCX so that's what I'll ride. I've since learned there are better entries to ride but that's what I own so...
  2. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best thing to ride it's what you have. Riding a new Vespa GTS 300 isn't ideal from a competitive POV but it is what I have and will be miserable riders forum should open soon.
  3. LE Trainer

LE Trainer Bad Buddhist

Oddometer:
    I’m also one of the first 25. I’ll be on a Honda Super Cub that’s starting a +/- 50 day, 7,500 mile shakedown ride later this week. We’ll see if I can break it....
    Oilhed, ride4321 and klaviator like this.
  4. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that's a ride report I'd like to follow.
    LE Trainer, Speedtrap and beRto. like this.
  5. cdwise

Oddometer:
    As of this morning 40 registered riders. Typically somewhere between 35 & 50 percent of registered riders make it to the starting line. I’ve made it 2 of the 3 I’ve registered for. Italy won out on the third one.
    LE Trainer likes this.
  6. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've heard it said about the Cannonball that making the start is the hardest part. And yes, Italy should have won out.
    cdwise likes this.
  7. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I kinda know/been around the Niagra Falls - Hot Springs SD routes (by car) - that is some pretty ambitious days. Is that typical of the Cannonball? The googler shows about 8 hour days - I would imagine that is highway figures. So 10 hour days on the State routes/ back routes? You go Cannonballers!
  8. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not for wimps!
  9. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Bit longer average than some previous cannonballs but also very little dirt this year. Shortest cannoball day I’ve ever ridden was I think 279 miles while the longest was about 420. I think in 2016 the average was 375-385 something like that. This is an endurance event.

As for distance highways which is what Google maps tends to give you are often longer miles but faster time though not always. I remember in 2014 the leg from Wyoming to Dillion Colorado by the way Google wanted to route you was 125-150 miles longer than the actual route but you did avoid 50 miles of dirt road. It was good hard packed dirt even I could go 50mph on and was passed by several going faster.

I averaged 7+ hours on the road each day with stops only for gas.
  10. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll have to keep my eyes on the dates - I'm a couple of hours from Gaylord but would be fun to see the riders roll into town. Gives me an excuse for a Northern Michigan adventure. You will be riding thru elk country so keep an eye out!
  11. cdwise

Oddometer:
    I’ve found elk tend to have more sense than deer while moose don’t give a rats ass.

According to my the rangers at the Grand Canyon both elk and deer have learned how to turn on the water spigots on back county water butts but only elk have learned to turn them back off after quenching their thirst. Deer leave them open and get pissed when they are empty.
  12. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Registration cap for 2020 was reached today but since the hotels still have space available they raised it. I'm betting half those registered won't show at the start.
  13. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Since I barely went anywhere this summer on any of the bikes I was on the fence but I bought the perfect scoot for the event and need a X-country trip so I threw my hat in the ring. Thanks for the nudge today CD. :thumbup
    :ricky
  14. MrGoodwreck

MrGoodwreck Retarded Adventurer™

Oddometer:
    Oh sh!t,...

I think the wife wants to throw her hat in the ring....

This could be interesting.
    ride4321 likes this.
  15. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So now that I've thrown my hat into the SCBR ring I'm thinking seriously about the logistics. I don't normally do that but I'm older so it makes more sense to think things thru now. Last time I was thinking I'd camp to keep the costs down. That's not how I'm rolling this time. I'm too old for that and will just send my camping gear west for the ride home now. So I will be looking for a shared hotel/motel room with another rider. I think my budget can handle the cost if it's shared. I'd also like some advice as to how best to use Basecamp with my new Garmin 396. This will be something to work on this winter. I have confidence in the Garmin, just not my Basecamp abilities.
  16. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using Base camp to plan rides then uploading to my old Nuvi. IIRC you click the"new route" button then click on points along the roads you want. The GPS then navigates you to each point as if that were your destination. I learned not to click on intersections. If you do you will be sitting there waiting for it to calculate the next route segment. Also I have to move the map with the arrow keys, if you click on the little hand roll it will end your route. When you are really done hit escape.

I'd get plenty of practice with Basecamp before the SCBR. I found errors I made at the keyboard weren't obvious until I was using the GPS on the road.

Garmin has some tutorial videos that I found useful.
  17. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do remember to always pick a point just past the intersection. I think that was key. I've got a few months to figure it out.
  18. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Not just intersections. On big rides, I pick waypoints outside of towns, a mile or so past the town. That has the Garmin switching to the next waypoint in a place where I am not having to make any decisions.

Further, Basecamp is not the best place to create the routes. I used Tyre for years, but it went away last year. It was replaced by My Route App. I had to pay for it but it is much easier to use than any other app I have used.

Make sure on any app that you go back and look at the route to confirm that each waypoint is on the proper road, not a crossing or adjacent road as can sometimes happen when selecting. Garmin will try to send you back after passing if you missed the road. It forces you to select the next waypoint out of a long list, causing unnecessary drama while riding.

Good luck, and have fun.

Bill
  19. XRangerRides

XRangerRides Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you decide to stick with Basecamp YouTube has lots of tutorials to go to, I've been getting familiar with it to help with SCBR navigation too

20. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    The organizers will provide a .gpx of the official route.

I always look for the fastest way to get between checkpoints, so I make my own.

But if you are touring and want to see the entire route, you should just use the route provided.

Bill