Scooter Cannonball 2020 update

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cdwise, Apr 14, 2019.

?

Are you in for Scooter Cannonball 2020?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2019.
  1. 95-10% Of course, I’m really serious about making it from start to finish

12.0%
  2. 75-95% I’ll be there at the start.

8.0%
  3. 50-74% I’ll make it in 2020 work, scooter, finances permitting

36.0%
  4. 25-49% it’s on my list and maybe 2020 will be the year.

20.0%
  5. 10-24% vaguely interested but not probably not this year.

20.0%
  6. 0-10% are you kidding? Those people are crazy.

4.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I figure one of the basics for planning on the rally would be knowing your average moving speed. I have no idea what that would be. But if you knew about what that would be you could figure out how long you would be in the saddle that day or if it was worth getting bonus check points.

With that said, what have you veterans been getting for moving average and on which size scooter? I assume those speeds were probably a little higher in the middle of the country than the coasts?
  2. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    If you choose to be competitive, the average speed is as fast as your scooter will go on the days where the roads allow.

This was a Nebraska day in 2016. Straight, fast roads all day.

On a 2007 Vespa GT.

Bill

IMG_4668.JPG
    IMG_4609.JPG

Attached Files:

kpinvt and Speedtrap like this.
  3. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's good to know Bill. For some reason I was under the impression we'd need to map out our route each day. If they provide gpx files I'll just go with that. I doubt I'm going to be very competitive but I won't rule it out either.:D I'm certainly not going to compete with what's showing on your gps. 6 minutes stopped time for 303 miles? :dunno
  4. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It really depends on the route what your moving average will be. On the day they did the Burr trail last cannonball I suspect your moving average for a large chunk of the day might be 30mph at best. While crossing from Dillion Colorado to our Kansas end point my moving average was over 60mph and on some legs over 75mph (heavy crosswinds in Kansas slowed most down and were extremely fatiguing more than time or distance would normally be on that leg) riding an Aprilia Sports City capable of sustaining low to mid 80s.
    kpinvt and Speedtrap like this.
  5. wbdvt

wbdvt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found a website, http://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/GPS.htm, that has a whole section where a tutorial was created for Basecamp. I started into it a little and then didn't have time. Looks to be okay.
  6. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Basecamp works, but if you do a lot of route planning, you will find it cumbersome at best.

I much preferred Tyre, but the even newer My Route App is even better. One click waypoint selection and it exports to your device easily.

I prefer it enough to have paid for it.

Bill
    kpinvt and wbdvt like this.
  7. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I liked Tyre but it's not available for my Mac. I used to use it on my work PC.
  8. MondayDad

MondayDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You don't HAVE to have a GPS. You can use Google Maps and earbuds/Bluetooth as long as you download the offline maps. That's easy to do at the hotel each night. Then plot your route from one GPS checkpoint to the next (preferably on a laptop for copy/paste of GPS points) so that your "Recent.." map destinations can be quickly accessed to go from one segment to the next. That takes care of determining the fastest route (consider speed limits and the max speed on your ride: no sense going on an 80 mph route if you can only max out at 45 - take the shorter route!) and compensate for road closures/construction that may not have been an issue when the route was determined and the GPX file created. Additionally, the past organizers have sometimes included dirt or single-track pasture crossings just for (their) fun. Be sure to take a backup phone/tablet and plan for mobile charging. And don't drop your device on the road! This approach worked well for me (Bigkart) in 2016. BTW, Google Maps now allows for waypoints on mobile devices which it didn't do in 2016. That would cut down a LOT on time spent pre-mapping and loading the next section of route at each checkpoint.

And writing the turn-by-turn instructions with segment mileage using grease pencil on the inside of the windshield is a good backup for device failure, rain, or inability to pull over at checkpoint (bridges, etc.). Reset your trip odo at each turn to compare to windshield notes so you'll not have to deal with cumulative odo error or remember mileage at milestones over a 375+ mile day. My Helix was off by 10%, so that would have been a lot of math on-the-fly.

Bob
  9. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Bob is right about using a phone as a gps.

I did this in Portugal for the few rides where we weren’t following Ken.

It worked great.

But I don’t think google allows multiple routes to be saved.

Being able to start the SCR in Bar Harbor with ten days of routes already set on the Garmin makes the ride so much easier.

Bill
  10. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that the case? All the routes can be copied in Bar Harbor?
  11. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could but I would recommend doing do ahead of time so you can get familiar with them ahead of time.
    ride4321 likes this.
  12. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Every day's routes will be posted in January or February.
    You can load them at any time between the posting date and run day.
    Or you can look for a better route between checkpoints and bonus photos and make your own route.
    Bill
    ride4321 likes this.