1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Scooter rental in Chengdu?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by mievil, May 11, 2017.

1. mievil

mievil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dudes. We tend to try to rent bikes wherever we go in China which has worked thus far. However, I am nit seeming to find anything for the Chengdu area? I see there are bicycle tours which go through some touristy spots, but they limit to 11yo as the youngest. We rented an electric scoot in Dali and Lijiang while we were there last year and the little 4yo mini me and wife and I all rode together and it was perfectly cool. So if we could hammer something like that out in Chengdu it would be fantastic. Heck, even in any of the surrounding towns, Emei, LeShan, etc.

Any ideas?

OR, anyone know of any karting spots in Chongqing or Chengdu?
  2. prince666

prince666 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The problem is not renting it's not having a Chinese driving license.
    No person or shop will take the chance of losing the bike because it has been impounded because you was stopped by the Traffic Police and found you have no Chinese DL.
    On saying that I hope within the next 6 weeks a new company is setting up in Yaan (Sichuan Province) who will not only rent out motorbikes but will also sort out Temporary Chinese driving license.
    I hope to post full details when there become available.
  3. mievil

mievil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We've never had a problem with not having a Chinese DL before. But, it was limited to electric bikes without a DL or in Dali we got the guy to rent us a 50cc bike since he said there were exclusions for that. I dunno how legit that was, but we have rented scooters all over Yunnan and Guilin as long as they were electric. Not saying that is everywhere, just what we have encountered. I know there was no auto rentals if you didn't have the Chinese DL, but I honestly feel safer on a bike than driving a car there anyway. Driving was nuts the one time I did it.

Did you ever get info on the joint in Yaan?
  4. Dirt_Boy

Dirt_Boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adelaide, Australia Home of Coopers Pale Ale MMMMM
  5. prince666

prince666 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    E-BIKES are ok no Chinese DL needed but you are really limited to local city rides due to the range available with an E-Bike.
    Still waiting for details concerning Ya'an
  6. prince666

prince666 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Dirt_Boy

Dirt_Boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adelaide, Australia Home of Coopers Pale Ale MMMMM
  8. prince666

prince666 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. mievil

mievil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, that explains most of it. And love the thread posted. I chuckled pretty well at the top of Emei. Clouds were thicker than that when we went. All the while hoping for the "best view in all of China." Haha. Super fun trip, though.

Alright, well I leave in 3 days and will just have to hope that our concierge is worth their salt. :p I'm hoping to find some karting at the very least. Seems like a few expat forums with some ideas, but it's hard to fully investigate here. Good times coming regardless. I'll touch a panda dammit!
  10. mievil

mievil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Prince, where are you at?
  11. prince666

prince666 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Currently in Longkou Shandong province.
    Riding to Shanghai this weekend for the CFmoto open day.
    After the open day will ride back to Longkou but need to visit the old city of Pingyao.
    Then on the 17th June have been invited to ride the new CFmoto 650MT with 9 other rides on a trip to Tibet organised by CFmoto.
    Link to ride with CFmoto with maps of the trip. (sorry only in Chinese)

http://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/t3f7O94sPijZeXvFz6Nh8Q

So I am bit busy riding over the next few weeks.
    Then in early July will head to Ya'an Sichuan province and stay until October, hoping to ride more around this area.
  12. mievil

mievil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah, man, that sound amazing! I want to go to Tibet something fierce. A friend invited me on his next trip out and I agreed. No idea when that will be, but he is a pretty intense Buddhism follower and knows people who live there so it should be amazing.

Have fun!