1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Scooter rollers?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by jafsr, Oct 11, 2018.

1. jafsr

jafsr Guest

For those like me who have a scooter that uses a CVT belt and weighted rollers, what are the differences in performance between lighter weight and heavier weight rollers?
  2. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about making a worthwhile research effort instead of exploiting others . . "can't fix lazy"!
  3. jafsr

jafsr Guest

I actually tried that and couldn't find what I was looking for.
    But ok, if people here are as friendly as you, I won't waste any more time here. Goodbye.
  4. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  5. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Hey and welcome. It's easier to call someone a name or belittle them than actually be helpful or directing to another post.
    Lighter roller will provide better acceleration and less top end speed. Higher weight will give worse acceleration but better top end performance.
    For example, if you do a lot of stop & go (city?) driving and you want better take off, then go 5-10 percent lighter. If you ride mostly freeway/highway then the same type of increase may help.
    Stock rollers are usually the best combo of the 2 for most riders.
    Having said this, it is general. I'd highly recommend you search for a specific forum for you model scoot. Chances are very high that what you want to know has already been done by someone and they have posted the results. Or search here for your model (example "Silver Wing Rollers").
    SlimTV, kpinvt, CBRider and 2 others like this.
  6. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    LEAVE HIM ALONE!

Thanks for the question, and the answer. Not something I was thinking about but nice to know info.
    tedbmw, Chillis and conchscooter like this.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Lighter rollers rev faster and higher. Lower top speed

Heavier rollers the opposite.

Dr Pulley sliders do booth and work better.
  8. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    He’s gone. Poor bugger
  9. CBRider

CBRider Between a rock and a weird place.

Oddometer:
    Looks like @tortoise2 has run off a new member. His membership has been cancelled.
    Steve_h1963 likes this.
  10. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    john wayne.gif
    tedbmw, byee, Chillis and 1 other person like this.
  11. firstshadow

firstshadow Urban Warrior

Oddometer:
    "Battle Scooters, Unique Among the Bikes Forums"

:lol2

:doh
  12. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    The exception proves the rule. Too bad.
    kantuckid likes this.
  13. rlkat

rlkat Mine's a whisky

Oddometer:
    Seems there's also no fix for being obnoxious!
    Steve_h1963 likes this.
  14. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You don't necessarily lose top end unless you go so light that the fr variator won't fully open. Rpm's may be higher but top speed shouldn't change.
  15. kshansen

kshansen kshansen

Oddometer:
    Dang! I'm a bit new here myself and if that is an example of the kid of response someone could expect hard to believe the forum would last more than a couple weeks!

Personally I would consider finding this forum one good form of "research" and asking a question the next step in that research.

I'm active in several other forums, from small engines, motorcycle, sidecars and even heavy equipment like Cat quarry equipment. While 99% of the people are great even if they had different ideas, actually those different ideas are some of the best things about these forums, there almost always is that 1% that feels a need to pi$$ of everyone they can!

Fortunately most forums have a good bunch of moderators who will step in and put offending people in a "time out box" or block them permanently before it gets ugly.
    rlkat likes this.
  16. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've tried different weights of rollers and to tell the truth it's pretty hard (or it was for me) to tell the difference. Do yourself a favor, wait until you wear out the ones you have, and then replace them with what ever weight you think you need. You'll save time and money.
  17. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    For me there's a big difference between different rollers but you need to make pretty big changes, you're not going to notice a big difference between 15g and 16g but change 3g and you'll definitely notice a difference.

As for acceleration lighter rollers isn't always better, you get max acceleration when the engine is at peak HP. So if the engine is producing 20hp at 7000rpm and you've shifted in super light roller which give you 8500rpm, well you might only be producing 17hp at 8500rpm so it's a step backwards. It might sound like you're going faster with the engine revving itself to bits but you're only fooling yourself really.

For the x-max 300 I found this dyno graph:

[​IMG]

So for max acceleration you want the engine at 7250pm, roughly. Take it to 8000rpm and you're actually losing hp and acceleration. The tricky part here is that one set of rollers is typically best for one speed interval. You want max acceleration 0-25mph, ok go super light. You want max acceleration 20-50mph, keep it stock probably. You want max acceleration 50-top speed probably go a heavier than stock.

I like the dr pulley sliders, they work great. But my preference is slightly heavier than stock. I think 20-23 grams is nice for the x-max 300 and give it longer legs, more like a 400cc scooter.
  18. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    CVT tuning is an art and a science.

You change anything about an engine to alter its powerband and CVT tuning should be done to match that tuning.

You can play with sliders or rollers and weights but another thing that changes the equation is ramp angles/curves in the variator as well as the springs in your clutch and the rear pulley spring itself.

I've spent countless hours playing with CVT's on scooters to learn that it isn't easy to just change one thing and expect maximum performance.

Also, CVT'S get tuned for one setting. You can't have it all.

Sliders try to compensate for that, allowing a lighter weight for better acceleration but their shape having a taller height to allow the variator to fully come together giving maximum speed.
  19. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was tortoise2’s membership revoked or the new guy?

Seems like the new guys account was removed. It’s too bad!

I’ve found the info in the advrider forums to be the most helpful. It’s actual real life info and not ‘fluff’

.....just look at the XMAX 300 thread. It contains everything you need to know to remove the turn signal stalks. In this thread there’s a power curve comparisons between stock vs lighter weights.

So sad the new fellow left. Fingers crossed he’ll find his way back to give us another opportunity to help him.

Sigh!
  20. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    Actually from ecu tuning, it was just an example to show you want max hp and not just max rpm. :1drink
    Chillis likes this.