Scooters almost extinct in Canada for 2020

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by davenowherejones, Dec 1, 2019.

1. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    There are not many scooters offered in Canada any more.

Honda only has a 2020 Ruckus

Yamaha has the 2020 SMAX 155 & 2020 BWS125

Suzuki has the 2020 Burgman 400

Kawasaki has no scooters

BMW has 2020 C 650 GT, 2020 C 400 GT, 2020 C 400 X

Vespa ???
  2. CrapKerouac

CrapKerouac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure, but small displacement motorcycles are becoming more popular. If dealers aren't selling scooters in Canada, the manufacturers aren't going bring them into the country. The public has spoken.
  3. Bhuddy21

Bhuddy21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1
    [​IMG]
  4. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man that sucks! I'm guessing scooters are not exactly flying off of the shelf in the USA either? I've been waiting for Honda to up their game but it appears it's not going to happen in my lifetime.
  5. vertex

vertex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, they aren't flying off the shelves. I got my 2015 Smax new from a dealer in 2018 for only 2700$ out the door price. Good that they still sell them in Canada. It's a great scooter for city, country roads and limited highway riding.
    DandM and klaviator like this.
  6. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It appears that the Kymco Like 150i has been selling pretty well. It is selling enough for Kymco to raise the price $200 for each of the last two years. Same with the X-town. It's price has been raised even more. The more expensive Xciting 400 on the other hand was sold for only one year. It seems that Americans will buy scooters only if they are inexpensive. The Xmax also seems to be selling and it's way less than other bigger maxi scooters like the B400. The only company that seems to be able to sell higher priced scooters here is Vespa.
  7. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Kymco scooters are almost non-existent in Canada.
  8. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the exception of one I've always purchased used scooters throughout my life but unless I fall upon some unexpected financial hardship I think I'll be purchasing new from here on out. I just want to do my part to keep something that has brought me so much joy going here in the USA. If nobody buys these things options will continue to shrink.
    The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  9. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    4 of my 5 scooters were bought new. The one I bought used had 150 miles on it. I feel like they were all worth it. I buy bikes with the intention of keeping them a long time so that initial depreciation just isn't a big deal to me. Also 3 of those scooters were NOS and I got a great deal on them. I also bought them all from good dealers that were a pleasure to do business with. All of them let me test ride the scooters and none of them charged me big fees. I did buy one current model year scooter that I paid MSRP + tax for. The rest were OTD for less than MSRP. I felt good giving my business to those dealers as well as supporting those manufacturers who are willing to sell scooters here.
    The Virginian, tastroman and bymbie like this.
  10. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scooters seem to be more popular in third world countries than anywhere else. Vespa may wind up being the only surviving scooter brand in the U.S. and Canada, not so much because people want a scooter, but because they want a Vespa.
  11. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    People can't buy scooters if the dealers don't have them. In my part of the country, the few dealers we have would rather stock high dollar UTVs, snowmobiles, and jet skis. When I inquired about a scooter, they are willing to order one, but don't have any to even see if they fit, much less how they ride.
  12. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^ Ergo part of the missing scoot story. There have been several instances of major brand scooters skipping "model" years, and showing up in later years. I think that there are too many unsold on the showroom floor and/or in warehouses there are plenty to meet demand for a few years. Then "new" ones - usually with just a color change will be available.
  13. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I bought my smax I had to order it in , I know the dealer and all he said was I hope you like it as we don't sell scooters very often, I said I'll take it, he sold a few 49cc 2 stroke and 4 stroke yami,s . We don't get and good deals on second hand scoot's as there are so few in Northern BC.
  14. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vespa Canada shows all current models available and Vespa Toronto West appears to stock all of them with the possible exception of the GTV
    klaviator likes this.
  15. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Vespa Vancouver is 144 km and Vespa Toronto is 4,215 km away.

Both are a bit far for an oil change.

I went to Vespa Vancouver once and it took all day.

I wonder how many are actually in stock.

It is snowing right now, it might be a few months before I can go to Vancouver on the Forza 300.
  16. joker-b

joker-b Here and Now

Oddometer:
    How are e-scoots doing in Canada? E-bike and e-scoots have taken share here in the US. Scooters are mutating but are still useful and popular, not just in third-world countries like France and England.
    Dan V. likes this.
  17. CrapKerouac

CrapKerouac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that's where traditional motorized scooter sales are going in Vancouver. E-bikes and Grom type e-bikes are everywhere. If the city allowed electric skateboards and other electric devices would flood the streets. It's illegal to use electric skateboards or other low-powered e-powered devices, such as scooters and skates, on roads in B.C. That's too bad. They're fun and an efficient way to get around.