Scootin My Way

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cdwise, May 24, 2019.

1. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    New milestone, I drove us to Butterhorn Backery for breakfast. Seems color has really decided to pop out almost overnight checked out a few riads I hadn’t been on before. Found a place I will definitely need to come back to on the scoot. Also decided it is time to put the quilted liner I if you were going for an early morning ride.
    6F392565-F2FA-44C6-9C42-975C8030FC1F.jpeg 23E7350B-649C-47D0-96CB-BFA449E74F60.jpeg 23E7350B-649C-47D0-96CB-BFA449E74F60.jpeg 6146234F-3A89-48C4-AB12-BD3F2588C4DD.jpeg CE540CFF-2AC0-405C-8DA2-541263260419.jpeg
  2. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Steve and I agreed on or drive today that when I can put a GTS on its center stand we will consider me cleared to ride again. If all continue to go well that should bed in another 2-3 weeks.
  3. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Ah, Cheryl, I thought the same thing about the PCX (that it would be lighter and easier than the Vespa)... but it was the Vespa that was calling to me. :-) I had to look it up: it was 6 weeks before I took the Vespa for that first short ride. My hip wasn't sure about the whole situation, but my head and heart could not have been happier. I don't think I could have done it any sooner and had the same positive outcome.

Reading about your progress makes me smile! It is great that your progress is even better than you had hoped for. You will be riding in no time, but make sure it is the right time. I was still using a cane... to get to the scoot before taking it for a ride. Like you propose, I put it on the center-stand before riding. Then took it off the center-stand. Then, the side stand. Then the big test: hold the scoot up with that left leg. Yep, ready for a short ride!

As fast as your recovery is going, I have no doubt it will be soon for you. In the words of the wicked philosopher: "All in due time, my pretty!" (insert evil cackle here). Keep up the good work! :clap
  4. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As soon as you can climb the first step on a ladder, you are there. Being able to bend and straighten out your knee is key, strength will be there. Do your exerises and you will be find.
    The Virginian likes this.
  5. cdwise

Oddometer:
    I can walk up stairs alternating legs so I suspect if I had to I could climb a ladder but have no desire to do so. Standing on one leg, either leg is fine. I can even do a couple of steps down alternating but that is much harder. I’m only using a cane if I’m out of the house, stairs without a handrail or when I’m extra tired. While my PT is pleased with gait without it my OS threatened a lecture if a patient comes to their 2 week check up without a cane, crutches or walker. The presurgery rehab guide says transition to cane by 3 weeks and no cane by 6.

What is bothering me almost more than anything else is the thick aqua cell bandage over the incision. Since the swelling has gone way down straightening my leg makes big wrinkles that feels like it is interfering with extension. Probably me imagination though. I can’t wait to get it off on Weds. ironically it is not being able to get in the pool or soak in a nice warm Epson salt bath to help relieve the aching quad that is bothering me most. It looks like I will be back on the scoot before the pool since post op instructions say 6 weeks. Though after my original surgery I was in the pool at 4.5. So I will have to discuss that with my OS when the stitches come out.

oh and Cap’n after the original injury it was the Buddy I rode first, I was a good girl and even though I had moved the Buddy around the garage and put it on the center stand I had let Steve persuade me to wait until my OS gave me full activity clearance 8 weeks after I was full weight bearing. One ride on the Buddy then had my son drive me over to pick the Vespa up from the shop. I considered it a preflight check.
  6. cdwise

Oddometer:
    First solo venture had a little detour in the garage to see if I could actually get in the Vespa.

Adjustments.JPG
    As you can see I could but don’t think I’m ready to take it off the center stand yet.

On my way to the market I saw a fox crossing the road. His winter coat is coming in. Not surprising when I saw it was 35f when I got out of the shower this morning. Friend who is a morning person posted a photo of her weather station showing 28.4 when she got up. Never mind that though since it will be 61 later today. Seeing more dual sorts than any other PTW the last few days and ATVs on trailers heading for the trails

Signs of season were snow shovels and sleds near the door mixed in with fords and pumpkins. I’ll spare you pictures of them. I did get out for this one though.

IMG_5288.JPG
  7. ZigzagguzzI

Oddometer:
    A ladder is a bigger step and is verticle, you are doing fantastic!!!
  8. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep moving and it will all come back.
    The Virginian likes this.
  9. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep on keeping on!:lol2
    Do they really have "riads" in Colorado?:-)
  10. KansasKawboy

KansasKawboy KK

Oddometer:
    I hope my OS isn't that way. I was off the walker in 2 days and the cane in another 4 days. I have been aid free for a week. My PT isn't upset with me and say's I am doing good.
  11. cdwise

Oddometer:
    At 2 week check up incision was healing so well I was told I could return to the pool in a week. ROM 2-127 degrees. Walked a mile on level ground yesterday. Other than the IT and LCL cotillions causing discomfort I’m good. Since the LCL was damaged when the joint collapsed it will probably take a couple months to fully recover but was told I’m two weeks ahead of schedule. Cane is suggested for out in public just to give people an indicator not to get too close and for uneven ground. Doc didn’t seem to care I’d I used it or not at my current stage.

Now on to more interesting thing. Fall color this year is different from the last 10 we have been up here in the Rockies. We usually have over 90% of the Aspen a bright yellow with most of the rest orange and the occasional pop of red. This year it is mostly orange and more red, especially on the small Aspens coming in where clearcut was done of one beagle kill trees.

IMG_5304.JPG

IMG_5281.JPG
  12. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Wow - you two are doing great! I am impressed. Hoping for continued fast recovery for you both. You'll be back riding in no time. :clap
  13. Ride2Live/Live2Ride

Ride2Live/Live2Ride On the road again Supporter

Oddometer:
    What he said
  14. ZigzagguzzI

Oddometer:
    Yup!
  15. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being nosy and prospecting for free medical advice was your knee job due to osteo? I've had two shots to date and anxiously ready and due for a 3rd in a few weeks. Not bone on bone but in use it swells and retains fluid and greatly dislikes being fully straightened. Besides the known meniscus side tear it now has a new pain spot in the back side. OTOH, it never bothered me on a bicycle last weekend for 17 miles of riding!
    Great to hear your both doing fine!
  16. KansasKawboy

KansasKawboy KK

Oddometer:
    Mine was bone on bone, the doctor said it was osteo and some RA. I couldn't straighten it and was very bow legged. After the surery I had to extend my cane one inch because it wa to short. I don't have quite ROM cdwise has but am only a few degrees away. I think it will improve after the swelling goes down. I'm glad you get to start swimming again.
  17. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the clarity. As for cdwise and swimming, my knee does much better in a pool or on a bicycle, when weight bearing then things change drastically. Some days i sort of wish mine was bone on bone, but mostly not.
  18. cdwise

Oddometer:
    KK we are both doing well. Today at PT the woman after me was on the stationary bicycle and extremely pleased to be able to do a full circle floor the first time. She was 2 months post knee replacement.

After which I took a drive up Boreas Pass where I posted pictures above from my last ride pretty surgery. Traffic was much worse than I expected on a Thursday morning. Sure wish I could have taken the scooter. Picked up the Bee MotoGPS from the post office today. I'll inbox it and check it later today 6F507366-470C-41D4-90D2-C72E6E889187.jpeg C830E446-8F9C-4739-8F88-824A996A749B.jpeg F6A8D777-1FC0-42C3-8D6D-02FB518FD4E2.jpeg E693B5BA-5151-434E-99DF-8F6DF437271E.jpeg
  19. cdwise

Oddometer:
    BA4B6284-5DA9-49A3-9A18-BB93F48986F3.jpeg Just as well this isn’t mine or I would be tempted to ride right now and I’m not quite ready.

instead having comfort food as it is in the 50s outside.

5E514F36-D239-4094-B713-473A23B0955F.jpeg

Since I’m not on two wheels or even droi get to have a Breckenridge Vanilla Porter on nitro tap. 156A0A57-D1EF-4E0D-BBD5-DA6112F203D5.jpeg
  20. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Came in late on this! Will search and find from what you are recovering. We were last in CO in 2009 and were surprised how many Vesps's were on the front range! Many originals with 2t and 4-speeds! We have friends in Breck we worked with in Golden: Troy and Rikke Dreesman. They have or had some kinda shop up there as I recall. Great pictures! Colorado is very photogenic!
    cdwise likes this.