Scootin My Way

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cdwise, May 24, 2019.

1. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sitting at Pho on Main after discovering that Blue Fin decided to close on Tuesday urging mud season. IMG_5334.JPG
    Steve and I took the Vespas in for lunch.

IMG_5335.JPG

So I’m back on the GTS 4 weeks to the day from my knee replacement.
    IMG_7557.JPG
    DandM, longwaypyder, cabanza and 9 others like this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome:clap:clap:clap
  3. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    In the words of a very distinguished gentleman (OK, it was me): "Whooohooo! :clap Now you can kick back and take it easy. Yeah, I'm kidding - no you can't. Keep working on the PT and exercising, and congrats on getting that first ride in. I speak from experience when I say that is good for the whole recovery process.

And for KK-boy: a reminder that every person's recovery is different. I had to remind myself that a lot the first couple months. Keep doing the work, your time will come.
  4. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Turned into a longer ride than I intended as we decided to go up to the top of House Pass. That's where I ended up turning my grip heaters on. Coming back the gravelruck in front of us hit his brakes unexpectedly. The cause was a rather large male moose with an impressive rack on him. I saw him trotting off into the woods opposite us. Frankly I'm rather glad the gravelruck was in between us when the moose crossed the road. He quite handily out weighted both Steve and I including both Vespa's.

Surprisingly other than the Kevlar lining of my riding jeans irritating my surgical scar it was more comfortable riding the Vespa than being a passenger in the car. Hmm looking at that photo it looks like I've gained more than a few pounds, the joys of a high cuz hoodie
  5. Ride2Live/Live2Ride

Ride2Live/Live2Ride On the road again Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are amazing! Keep going
    kantuckid and cdwise like this.
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can "we" get off this people are gonna recover differently kick?

You got a bunch of "likes" when you posted that tantrum about how much personal pain's involved, etc., in your post some time back and frankly it pissed me off royally as it sold me short as though I'd not know something quite that obvious. It was enough that you chose to say I was too damned stupid to know we are all human and different but the simple fact that a bunch here bought into your saying so with their "high fiving" likes was way over the top IMO. How fucking shallow can one be?
    Maybe getting under my skin was what you were after, I have no idea?
    For me it was an obvious case on my side of trying to encourage folks to get a common medical fix called a THR.
    For God's sake, they only do several hundred thousand a year and most, barring infection are trouble free from the git go. I was in a room full of those folks and saw nobody writhing in pain, etc.. Creeping around, yes.

cdwise just showed us a great picture of her 4 weeks to back in the saddle. What a great incentive for someone like me who's knees coming apart to hope my this Friday knee doc appt gives me some assurance for the future! We know she got there via doing the work, maybe it hurt some?
    A sincere thanks to cdwise for her positive approach to her knee fix story!!!:clap

I would have liked to think that I could read this thread of CD's progress w/o the short minded reminder that you took offense to something I wrote months ago.
    Having personally spent many weeks in a PT room with lots of other people , various ages, many who'd had the exact same surgeries as myself (shoulder and two hips) and seeing them progress it was a real world experience and certainly VERY noticeable that they recovered differently.
    The larger difference was the kids, of course. The anterior vs. posterior THR's was huge and mostly a difference in the type of surguical wound not who happens to be tougher. To stay on this kick that those differences exists and to suggest that I'm ignorant of said differences is to sell me short intellectually.
    Given your need to expound to all who read this thread that I have this so-called ignorance of basic human differences, lets leave it be?
    I made a living for many years as one who worked with real live humans as a counselor, before that I did machines as a mechanic and many other things->but I'm not a medical doctor, etc. I know full well my shortcomings. But I had my experiences as is cdwise having hers now.
    Leave it the hell alone.
    Now, back to cdwise and my apology this got into your thread.
    Signed, Mike->>>>> My name is not "KK-boy"<-----! :nod
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well put!!!
    cdwise is our shining e.g. of a knee fix and a positive attitude toward the aging many of are dealing with!:nod:clap:thumb:super:thumbup

Hers is a timely story line for myself-
    I personally have a bum knee which gets new xrays this Friday (my next cortisone shot is up too) and her thread helps me keep it positive toward a knee fix. My knee had been responding well to the cortisone. Only two weeks ago I rode my mtn bike over 17 miles with zero swelling.
    Two knee shots and I was humming along on cortisone most of this year but the past two weeks it's decided to swell and become stiff and painful, certainly not a fun turn of events. Moving large rocks to widen our road probably iced my cake, but didn't seem so at the time.
    If my Friday xrays show bone on bone I'll be surprised as it doesn't feel like my hips did when they had become bone on bone. The knee is far less painfull, more a case of stiff, swollen and no worky so well. Damn!
    Medicare says bone on bone or no surgery when osteo's present thus the cortisone I've been getting to date.
    That 4 week recovery is impressive. Time flies by when it's not our hurt.
  8. cdwise

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I wouldn't say my recovery is complete but it is going along quite well but I'm highly motivated as we have a Panama Canal cruise scheduled for a moth from now. One of the few excursions I've booked is a swim with the dolphins. I did my homework before hand which included BTW losing some weight and getting in better shape. I also did the replacement earlier than Medicare might allow since I'm not on Medicare and won't be for a few years. Mine was also not due to bone on bone but rather to a collapsing surgical repair from an accident on the scooter 6.5 years ago. So my situation is a bit different than the norm for a knee replacement.

Besides my goal is to be like Richard from over on Modern Vespa who at 92 put a side car on his Vespa so he could keep riding to coffee with friends or Vernon the 94 year old who just bought a new scooter at Sportique last week. I've got a very long way to go to match either of those gentlemen.
    kantuckid, klaviator and KansasKawboy like this.
  9. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Easy there, big fella. (Mike, now that I know your name) It isn't a contest. I, too, was pissed when you wrote something along the lines of "the hip replacement is a walk in the park compared to..." I've come to understand that the difference between major surgery and minor surgery is: if it happens to you, it is major; if it happens to someone else, it is minor. :-) Yes, that's a joke. And I will defer to Lenny Bruce if you can't take a joke.

I think the main take-away from this is: Cheryl is doing great, and her recovery is progressing nicely. We are all happy for that. And for the record, my response was to KansasKawboy, not you. He commented that his recovery was not going as fast as Cheryl's. I put that note to him to be encouraging to him, not disparaging to you. So all that righteous indignation is from you carrying a chip on your shoulder, not because of a comment I made to you. But, like most of your posts, you have turned this one to all about you. Mostly, I pass over your posts for that reason.

If you can find anywhere in this forum where I called you or anyone else "stupid", I will publicly apologize. If my post that inflamed you got a number of likes, it was probably because people agreed with it. I am not a youngster, and I don't write anything here to get "likes." I really don't pay attention to that, although I do "like" posts, generally those that have something to do with riding. Let this "grudge" go. You said something that pissed me off, I responded... that was MONTHS ago. I haven't referred to anything you have written since then. And now YOU bring this up? Regarding an encouraging note I wrote to someone else that had nothing whatsoever to do with you. Carrying around this kind of animosity isn't productive.

We don't have to agree on everything to be civil around here. I don't try to get under anyone's skin - that's not my style. But, call me out in public and I will respond. During my hip recovery, I was working my ass off with the rehab - your snide comment at that time was demeaning to what I was going through.

My apologies to Cheryl for this unpleasantness on her thread. I appreciate her can-do attitude and her enthusiasm for riding.
    klaviator and kantuckid like this.
  10. cdwise

Oddometer:
    No worries everyone gets snappy occasionally. I suspect that KK's knees were worse than mine pretty surgery. Right now after water fitness, hitting t Hf e weight room, exercise bike and having my PT manhandling my leg I'm feeling pretty darned wimpy. Crawling into a nice hot bath full of Epson salts and a toddy isn't coffee is sounding line the best way to spend the rest f the day.

I'm glad we got out on the scoots yesterday since not only is snow forecast starting in the wet hours tonight but instead of being followed by highs in the 50-60 degree range we aren't supposed to get out of the 30s for a few days. I'm not in shape to be riding in those temps, heck I don't even want to walk in them right now.
    klaviator likes this.
  11. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Peaks, plateaus, and valleys - you have had a good month of recuperation, Cheryl. Whatever you are doing is working for you, so keep it up.
    klaviator likes this.
  12. KansasKawboy

KansasKawboy KK

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling wimpy. After the last couple of PT sessions I have taken a 2-3 hour nap and slept 7-8 at night. Glad you got to ride yesterday.
    klaviator, The Virginian and cdwise like this.
  13. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a cousin who'd put off both knees too long and your suggestion about KansasKawboy's situation makes sense as my cousin had to literally learn to walk correctly after both knees were done.
    For the record my ADV "handle has been abreviated in use in the past so it's not like I took a flying leap here.
    I do accept that all is well and ready to move on to cdwise and kawboys progress.

cdwise-ya just might want to clean up the--->:D:imaposer:lol2 "aren't supposed to sex" statement above?:rofl:jack :lol3 yer phone does weird stuff...
  14. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just an observation: While I was doing the PT for my 2nd THR, which was rather mundane,bicycle, step ups and side steps, etc. there was a lady near me who was maybe age 65-68 who looked very fit and had one knee replaced. She was done with that PT before I finished my mild PT on that hip. I asked if she'd quit and my guy said, no, she was done. It was amazing as only a few weeks.
    Mine hurts, but handles body weight OK but doesn't like flexing and other unusual "stuff".
  15. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Damned iOS and its changing what I type. I thought I had got all it’s weird changes out.

Woke up to about an inch if white stuff that is still falling. Nothing on the schedule today. To make me leave the house. Made a batch of dark chocolate brownies which will go nicely with a latte by the fireplace.
    3C9EA4B1-88F2-43E8-AF49-6F6EE9C5F126.jpeg

View of my neighbor’s house.
    MYUMPH, The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  16. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    While most of America is edging into Fall and Winter, California is in its usual October drought, warm dry weather with lots of high wind in the hills and passes. In Northern California PG&E has started fires for years with its neglected and deferred maintenance program, and this year they decided they should turn off the power when the weather predicts high wind and dry weather. Except they are really vague about when, for how long and exactly who gets shut off. I was riding to my gym yesterday at 10 am, and the large emergency information sign on the Freeway said something like "Caldecott Tunnel may be closed at 12 noon. Make plans". That tunnel is actually 4 bores, 8 lanes of traffic, 150,000 cars a day. No minor little tunnel. Between the 2 agencies, PG&E and California Department of Transportation, they couldn't seem to plan this at all! 2 hours before it MAY happen they still don't know if it will? Remember, it will happen because they do it, not like in the event of an earthquake. And it turned out that around Noon they said, "Uhhh, maybe later? Like, ummmm, maybe 8 pm? We'll see." And their website crashes, too many people trying to actually make plans, to see if they will be getting home after work. At 8ish, they say "Maybe we'll turn off power at Midnight? And Oh, by the way, the tunnel will stay open because we got a generator."

Great. I woke up this morning and, guess what, the power is still on.

All this has nothing to do with scooters, but there should always be time for a little rant that started while I was riding, right?
    kantuckid, longwaypyder and klaviator like this.
  17. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Well it was off in other places in California as friend who were lamenting the inability to make coffee on Facebook proved. One of the many reason I no longer live in California and have zero desire to ever do so again.
  18. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Waaaaaaaaaaay too early for snow. Don't you miss Houston? It's sunny and 90 degrees. Aaaaaaaaaaah.
  19. cdwise

Oddometer:
    The older I get the less I can tolerate heat and humidity. I do better with cold and dry. We will be very back in Houston in a few weeks but not for long. Dropping the dog of with the kids before heading off to cruise through the Panama Canal. Then will have to decide where to spend Christmas.
  20. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    That snow is pretty... in an "I don't ever want to be in it again" kinda way. :-) Be careful when you do move around it.

Warm wishes sent your way. We have a "major cold front" coming into our area sometime tomorrow night... it is only going to get into the low 70s for a high on Saturday. Our local weather weasels need something to talk about... one actually said, "This will give us our first taste of winter." :fpalm
    kpinvt and klaviator like this.