Scootin My Way

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cdwise, May 24, 2019.

1. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We've gotten at least 6" Steve decided to take the snow blower and clear the drive but I'm dreading inside.
  2. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    cdwise, give me your wild axx guess as to my planning a trip out of the country beyond a one knee replacement? We have a Spain/ Morocco trip planned but no reservations in spring, like May & I have a Balkans riding trip, same thing nothing bought yet, afterwards.
    Medicare on mine.
    Snow is pretty! I can live in snow and only after I've graded my road maybe 6-8 times does it begin to look less so. When I worked in a factory there were times I dreamed of being snowed in, no way to work and heading out rabbit hunting at zero degrees. Now and then I got my wish as the miles to the I-70 road had to be plowed to get there.
    Our son in Amarillo had 19 degrees lately. Bit N of HOU.
  3. cdwise

Oddometer:
    According to my OS’s protocols 3 moths will let you do almost anything except playing basketball or running a marathon , that takes longer. My original plan was 3 months before our Panama trip but due to something they found during the pre surgery physical postponed so I only had 2 months. I’m doing it but I wouldn’t plan on less than 3 if you have a choice.
    kantuckid likes this.
  4. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks
    We have a stem cell & platelet enrichment center near me. One is called the Tony Delk IMCA Center, others around various places are Ozzie Smith and David price centers. Not Medicare covered but people like Tiger Woods and many others use the treatments when arthritis & tissue damage is involved, as mine and most others knees. Might actually save money if the patient was still working?
    The cortisone is like the magic fix for me, next day I'm back to flexibility, can deep knee bend, pains dulled, stiff but full joint motion, fluid build up not gone as yet. How one does with the shots is one factor for next visit when my 3 month cortisone window opens again. Jan 13, 2020. Surgery would be after our FL snowbirding thus early/mid March as an early surgical date so perhaps I could buy our reservations for an early June departure. Thing is I'm pushing against my chronological age vs. if the shots continue to buy me time & full use of my knee. I am not bone on bone but my understanding is they'll replace anyway if it lacks enough tissue to hold things together.
    My shot has three aspects in one syringe-marcaine as local anesthetic, lidocaine dulls interior chronic pain and corticosteroid/Kenalog I guess it lubes things up in there. There are others used I read.
    3 months huh -that's what most say ~ 90% good to go a 90 days-sounds typical compared to Webmd, etc., pain is said to be far more than a THR, peaking awhile after the surgery.
    Back to scootin, I am having no luck so far programming my new GTS spare key.
  5. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Steroid shots did little for me. One of the women in my water fitness class did the stem cells and they worked amazing well for her but the down time was actually longer and restrictions much greater than mine. No stairs p, mo pool, limited walking for 3 months while they replicate and stabilize.
    kantuckid likes this.
  6. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    I did one on my Piaggio and found if I did a new key I had to do the old key, too, at the same time. For me it was a pressured, hurry up process, but it did work.
    kantuckid likes this.
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had cortisone as a part of the regimen leading up to surgery for my hands. They try splints or splints and cortisone at the carpal tunnel site. It made no difference for me but my wife it was a miracle of sorts. I have "trigger finger", they use a similar lube the tendon shot for that, needle goes up through the finger from base at palm. it works on that one great! One doc I feel used a poor techniques and needle was stuck in the "kernel" at finger base, not fed up into the finger and no worky well.
    My "shoulder doc" was using the gizmo to "see inside my shoulder" for that surgery and then used the same scope to see and precision place a cortisone shot in my hip, was prior to replacement and it made zero difference.
    The PRP & Stem cell don't sound too logical time and cost wise? Maybe Tiger Woods did his while rehabbing his back and down anyway? Pro athletes do it all the time. Kobe Bryant and many others too.
    Some surgeries "sound better" than the full enchilada, as I learned about hip resurfacing it can take longer to rehab than an anterior THR, then maybe no help either.
    Back to scoots! :lol2
  8. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty leery of the stem cell story in these clinics. It seems a little like using a new term to conceal some sort of the old hocus pocus. I know Stanford was experimenting with growing new meniscus tissue using your old tissue and then transplanting it into your knee, but where that's at I don't know. I just spent a year and a fair amount of cash on a dentist trying to save a tooth, but it got stupid after a while and out it came, implant done. When do you give up on worn out parts and get new ones? It's hard to say, but insurance companies seem to be happy to tell you "Maybe later."

Meanwhile we get older. Maybe they're just hoping we'll die of something else.
  9. cdwise

Oddometer:
    I've had a couple friends who have had very successful stem cell treatment and depending on the condition may be the best option. It wouldn't work for me but those with meniscus damage have been the ones helped the most.
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which is myself, meniscus tears all around my left knee. Meanwhile I pull on my knee sleeve, pop some NSAIDS and move on to the next thing.
    Platelet treatments are less pricey than the stem cell regimen. I'll move along with life until my next cortisone shot and as long as they work for me that's what I'll do until the osteo goes bone on bone as it will if I'm lucky enough to be around for that next repair job, a knee joint.
    I can afford the stem cells /platelets but shots work so that's my choice.
  11. cdwise

Oddometer:
  12. cdwise

Oddometer:
    The plan was to take the BV with us when we head to Houston the end of this week. Well it has been snowing since Friday and supposed to continue through Weds. So we’ve about decided to just go ahead and winterize it and deal with selling it in the spring. I haven’t felt like deal8mg with the driveway so I’ve missed going to the rec center for PT and pool since Friday and I sure can tell the difference. I may end up taking the Buddy to the rec center between the time we get there and the time we head off to California for the start of our cruise.
  13. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, that info has been floating among athletes for a very long time. Many players over the years "play on cortisone" and lots of sad stories about too much cortisone. Generally speaking my doc does the shot when I report that it made a difference, and so far it's magic. Each has been 3 months apart. Honestly the 2nd I was still OK from the 1st one but was ready for the 3rd prior to my visit. Knee pain alternates from sides and damaged tissue to inside the joint.
    Seems to me that yesterday, when I spent the entire day at my off grid cabin build site "collecting rocks" with a box scraper that the big ones were talking back to me! I stopped for lunch, changed tractor oil and took a break. Knee felt sort of OK so I went back until near 6 pm. Rainy day today might be a gift to my knee?:-) My next visit on 1/13/20 the set-up intent is that we talk new knee, maybe. We play a bunch in the winter so I'm thinking in the high heat of summer? When I get one, I want the best that my medicare supplemental can buy...:lol2
    I read the link, thanks. My knees both have osteo which is likely helped by my very active lifestyle. I do wish I had a place to get in the water here but such is rural life. Bicycle is my knees friend but hard work is a so/so activity. My weight is normal for my build and this puter chair may be my worst enemy?:-)
  14. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Scoots are now winterized after over two feet of snow in the last week. Heading south where the Buddy awaits for the time before and after our cruise.

I came close to buying a Sports City that was for sale in Houston to use in next years cannonball. One was for sale at a reasonable price and I still have the spare rims and a new windshield from the last cannonball. Unfortunately for me it sold almost as soon as it was posted in the Houston scooter group on Facebook. I’d rather not take one of our new Vespa 300s if I could have gotten a Sports City at a decent price. OTOH if I had bought the Sports City I might not have been able to keep myself from trying for a top 10 finish instead of as a tourist as intend.
    KansasKawboy and DandyDoug like this.
  15. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was always doing all the keys. After some persistence and doing the process over and over again the same as in the beginning, it finally took. I was counting "1,000-one, etc. " each time I did it per the manual. Seems the timing is the critical aspect.
    For other Vespa owners-
    the "cheapest Vespa spare/chipped key" is from www.scooterworks.com ( a MV sponsor) then cut it yourself at a hardware store-mine lets me, or does it for me, for free, then program it once it's cut.
  16. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    I suspect you are right that the timing is crucial. One quick fumble and it's time to start over. Why they couldn't set it for 15 seconds?
  17. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Back in Houston in 75f weather with a ready to ride Buddy in the garage. There it will stay as it is bucketing down rain, sigh.

On a more positive note I was able to swim a mile at the pool today. Weather forecast looks good for the local Scooter Battalion ride on Sunday so I may go to that.
  18. cdwise

Oddometer:
    It quit raining but a chilly 39f this morning. I kept waiting for the sun to warm it up but by noon it was still only 47. So after looking though the gear I still had in Houston and finding a flannel lined denim riding jacket I took the Buddy to lunch.

Steve has the car off for annual inspection so it was take a scoot, walk or another jam sandwich which I wasn’t in the mood for. My only regret is I don’t have a neck gator I could find though I’d prefer the previously forecast 72.

IMG_5382.jpg
  19. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    You are tougher than I am, Cheryl. About 400 miles southwest of you, the wind is blowing like stink and it is 52º... we'll be taking the car out for lunch. But, tomorrow is supposed to be back to around 72º. "Winter" doesn't last long here, but this is an early start. One of the local weather weasels said this will be the "coldest Halloween on record for the Rio Grande Valley." Gives them something to talk about.
  20. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Definitely too cold for me to ride! The cold is just too sudden. I rode Monday and Tuesday but that's it for me for this week.