Scorpa Head Inserts? Anyone try different ones?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Greebe, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Greebe

Greebe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2017 Scorpa 300 Factory has the silver head insert which I believe is the Standard Compression Insert.

I was just curious if anyone had tried the Low Compression Head Insert? If so what was your impression and why did you try it? Is there much difference from the Silver?

For the most part I like the power of my 300, but sometimes wonder if a low compression insert might tame it a little. I need to put my flywheel weight back on but have been hesitant to mess with it after I had the key on the flywheel shear off at the first event of the season here.

Thoughts? Thanks.
  2. Boom Boom

Boom Boom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a 2016 Factory 300 that I installed the low comp. Quick simple change over. Didn't kick any easier, but what I noticed was a smoother power delivery and rolled smoothly into a nice rev out. The low comp insert looks more like a hemi head. Stock has a quick and deep compression area where low comp is a full width mild curve. IMHO the power delivery off bottom smoothed out .. More like TRS / GG smooth roll on. Cheap enough mod...go for it. Also seemed like my fan did not cycle as often after installing the low comp insert. No science to prove, just some thing that seemed different. I always run around 100 octane fuel so can't comment if it worked better with standard pump gas.
    Greebe likes this.
  3. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Not a direct comparison, but I ran the low comp insert on my 2012 250 GG. Similar experience, in it smoothed the power just a tad. A difference, but slight.
    Greebe likes this.
  4. Hoss Cartright

Hoss Cartright Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From my experience with the GG and TRS, the low compression head has about 3cc more volume than the standard one. High compression head has 2 or 3cc less volume than the standard one. And of course, reshaped squish band and dome. On a 300cc engine, that translates to a standard head of about 40cc.
    Greebe likes this.
  5. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    Thought about experimenting with a high compression insert with the '17 Sherco 250, but found it way less tall than the S3 Stars inserts. Never did it, and didn't need to really.

Back when I was riding 300s and doing various things to tame them, I fit the orange-anodized low-compression insert to a 2011 GG300 Raga (a real fire breather bike).

I swapped Kokusan ignition modules with a 2010 Econo 280 to get a different map (both bikes interestingly ran better), added a flywheel weight, and opened up the ignition pickup holes to move the pickup point with flywheel rotation (smidge retarded). A 55 low-speed jet and 120 also made the bike super sweet.

These days I ride a 250 and no longer have to monkey around to restrain power on (some) 300s... to reduce points taken in events.
    Greebe and jonnyc21 like this.
  6. Greebe

Greebe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I might try the low compression head just for kicks. For most part my bike is fine, but there are a few times when it can get wild. :D I noticed a few weeks back the difference in power delivery on my old GG 280 and this bike. I like how the power is instant on the Scorpa, but the old GG does have some appeal how the power comes on and I think that at my level, (UMTA Advanced), that the low compression head might make things more controllable at times. I think I will order the low head and fit my flywheel weight back on the bike after our last even next weekend.

Are there any other things that need to be changed or adjusted when the low compression head insert is installed.

Thanks again!!!!:thumb
  7. Hoss Cartright

Hoss Cartright Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From my experience just put the head on there and go.
    Boom Boom and Greebe like this.
  8. Greebe

Greebe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  9. bobbywarner

bobbywarner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Greebe Instead of trying to tame down your 300 Factory bike (flywheel weight, changing heads, etc), maybe just sell it and get yourself a 250 for next year! My dad loves his 250 and Jack D loves his new 250 too! Just an idea.

See you at Theilman next weekend!
    motobene, Greebe and Norman Foley like this.
  10. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    Super wise words there!
    Greebe likes this.
  11. Greebe

Greebe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha, yeah a 250 would have been nice too, but I think I will just stick with the bike I have right now as I do not want to go through the trouble of selling this one and buying another one right now. The 300 is really pretty nice, and for the most part the power is fine. There was only one time at Smagical Rock that I launched it, but that might have happened with a 250 as well. I jumped a log on a steep hill and somehow the next thing I knew the bike was screaming wide open over my head. :D LOL! Luckily it is all sand out there so the landing was soft for me and the bike.

I rode Jack's 250 Factory at the last Theilman event and it was pretty nice. Definitely more throttle range before getting a strong dose of power. Riding the two back to back I did favor my bike however. I felt a little more in control on his 250, but I like the immediate power delivery on my 300. Really both bikes are great though.

Looking forward to the last event in Theilman. I might freeze my butt off camping though. Right now they are saying 25F at night. Unfortunately I have only been able to ride once since Smagical as it has been nothing but rain, sleet, and snow here the past three weeks. That and I have been working like crazy to get a slab and radiant heat done for my new 30x48 shop before I loose my chance to pour concrete because of the weather.

Take care and I will see you Sunday!!!
    bobbywarner likes this.
  12. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    A great appeal of the 300s is fun-type power. They are a little less sleepy than 250s.

While I am for solidly convinced my 250 is better for me to compete on, when goofing around the more potent 300s can be more fun.

It comes down to used bike availability (usually 300s) and what part of your brain you want to listen to more :-)

Given the historically recent resurgence of 250s there will at least be more of them popping up in the used market.
    Greebe and Takataka like this.