Scorpa/Sherco Maintenance Schedule?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by KSUperDuty, May 11, 2020.

1. KSUperDuty

KSUperDuty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did a search on this, but I didn't find anything definitive. Maybe there isn't a definitive answer to this question, but what is a suggested maintenance schedule for a new trials bike?

I'm 100% new to trials, and I got tired of waiting for a decent used trials bike to come up for sale in my area (sounds like a common theme). So, I broke down and bought a new Scorpa 250 SCF. I'm really going to hate being the new guy on a new bike when I get to my first event, but so be it. Anyway, the manual is crap. How often do I need to be changing the oil, etc.?
  2. riabma77

riabma77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your new bike!
    As any new bike, you should have a breaking period for the engine. Manual should tell you that, such as the concentration you must use. Dealer should know it as well.
    I know there are odometers, so you can keep track of the hours of your oil. I think there are a lot of variables. I personally change it when starts to get slightly darker, independently the hours.
    Hope it helps.
  3. KSUperDuty

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm addicted already......

The owner's manual says zero about oil change cadence and engine break in. The online maintenance/serviced manual says zero as well. Watching the color of the oil might be the best I can do.
  4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well it`s only 400, wait is it 700cc oh who knows. Anyway change the oil often enough to make you happy. Besides it`s less than a quart, important thing is to keep the air filter clean. Ps, Spanish bikes should be disassembled and lubed/anti seize`d before riding.
    Huzband likes this.
  5. riabma77

riabma77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are several Sherco / Scorpa users here. Maybe they have a more accurate input, but I'm assuming 60:1 for the first 10-20 hours? Changing the oil after will be good also.
  6. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, 60 to 1 ever. 80 or 100 to 1. Sherco could not decide how much oil to use when they went to the new clutch, let us know how much in 2020. You could go a whole year and not change anything, but not in my bike. Just ride it like a trials bike, slow and steady. If you go out and horse beat it it will let you down.
  7. bobbywarner

bobbywarner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don’t put hour gauges on my bikes, so I usually just estimate ~20 hours and change oil every 4th or 5th ride depending on how long my rides are. For newer Sherco / Scorpa, 700cc of Maxima MTL 75 works great.

I check the filter quick before each ride and clean if needed (usually every other ride or every 3rd ride), but this really depends on the terrain you are riding. When I was in New Mexico this winter, I hardly ever cleaned the filter, ha!

On a new bike, make sure you check for loose bolts pretty diligently as stuff comes loose on new ones.
  8. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    So Bobby, did you ever do anything special to the drain bolt. GREASE or lube or you just kept it clean?
    Too many oil changes could be an issue with that non oil drain..
  9. bobbywarner

Oddometer:
    Nope, just cleaned it. Never had any issues with drain bolts.
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but that is a case bolt on the Sherco. I have heard a few WTF comments. I never had an issue on Garrett's 2012.
  11. KSUperDuty

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. 4th or 5th ride cadence makes sense to me, and I'm on board with the MTL 75 instead of 10W50. The current manual says 450cc for filling the crank case. 700cc sounds better if the bike has the capacity, but there must be some history there?
  12. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Question: does the transmission oil lubricate the main crank bearings like the TRS and GASGAS that they copy?

if YES, I would tell the new sherco owner to try to emulate BobbyWarner's idea. No more than 20 hours - I do same but I shoot for 10hrs.
    Change brake fluid / clutch fluid every half year, and change fork oil yearly, more if you are in dirty condition. I have cloth covering my forks so keeps more dirt out than most riders.
    web.jpg

I like to take certain bolts out and at least put never seize on them, like rear axle and the chain adjusters that the TRS uses. front axle. Front brake caliper bolts.
    ---> loctite blue a few others. like skidplate's rear bolts. Only because I did lose one bolt on skidplate on a 2017 TRS.
  13. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Norman!!! How much oil goes in these things as his manual is from 2003?!?
  14. KSUperDuty

Oddometer:
    The answer is Yes. That cadence makes sense at 10hrs ish. Its strange to me that the recommended 450cc capacity is different now than it was on bikes a couple years older of the same model with the same crank case.

PS - I grew up in Salina. Never knew there was a trials scene there. I make it back to see my parents pretty often. I miss KS..
    Sting32 likes this.
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was 450cc from 1999 to 2017.5 when they realized the new clutch needed more oil. So which is it 450 or 700?
  16. KSUperDuty

Oddometer:
    My 2020 manual says 450cc of 10W50. I suppose I should trust it, but it seems strange to reduce the oil by almost a third from 2019 to 2020 on essentially the same bike.

The 2019 Sherco manual I can find online says 700cc of 10W40. Dealer gave me MTL 75wt, and I'm on board with using that transmission fluid instead of the 10W50, but 250cc's less than last year?
  17. KSUperDuty

Oddometer:
    Roughly 650 cc's of transmission fluid came out. Weird.
  18. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Dude, PM me so we can exchange some info.

Depends on when you were around. I have been (north of salina since 76) before that Denver. in the 70s there was at least 2 families from salina, and a guy that ran the suzuki shop. I was told that Salina kinda had a club, but it was weird by sounds of it, back in the day. the 80-s to present, never knew anyone in salina that rode. been trying to get people to go still!

We ride in WIchita (Douglass ks actually) AVTAtrials.com website.
  19. bobbywarner

Oddometer:
    As previously stated, use 700cc of MTL75 on newer Sherco/Scorpa bikes. I don't know why your manual says 450cc, but there are no material differences between 2019 and 2020 that would warrant changing the amount of oil. I tested various quantities last year (and in 2018) and the clutch works great with 700cc of MTL75.

Or if you don't trust me (which is fair, I'm just some guy on the internet), maybe trust Ryan Young (talks about oil at 1:13 in video):

KKeltner and jonnyc21 like this.
  20. Sting32

Oddometer:
    That's almost double the amount of oil in my TRS, so around 20 hours might be just fine.