Scorpa/Sherco Maintenance Schedule?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by KSUperDuty, May 11, 2020.

1. KSUperDuty

KSUperDuty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice all. I just put the same amount that back in. Figured that was around 700 cc’s. I’m happy with the clutch and more oil should be better if the machine has the capacity. And, it’s not about trust, it’s about the discrepancy. Why the difference between 2019 and 2020 in the manuals?

I tend to believe that following the maintinence schedule adds to the life and the parts of the machine, and I enjoy wrenching on my own stuff. The Scorpa manual is kind of a joke. Too many years of buying KTM’s and BMW’s I guess. Those guys tend to go a little overboard in the other direction, but they’ve got their stuff dialed in.

FA464922-7D45-4EB8-B7C9-AEA6B7DB013A.jpeg
  2. Thesolidman1

Thesolidman1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This what is supposed to have.

"Please note that 2017 onward models with diaphragm clutch use 650cc of transmission oil"
  3. KSUperDuty

Oddometer:
    No disagreement from me, but the manual that came with the bike clearly states otherwise.
  4. bobbywarner

bobbywarner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @KSUperDuty Can you please send a picture of the front cover of your manual? I'm wondering if you got an old manual with your bike. This happened to me one year (I got a 2016 Sherco manual with my new 2018 Sherco).
  5. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to wonderful world of owning a Spanish bike.:D

And someone thought `I`was not a good person to reply to this thread.
    Sorry Ricardo,
    {There are several Sherco / Scorpa users here. Maybe they have a more accurate input, but I'm assuming 60:1 for the first 10-20 hours? Changing the oil after will be good also.}
  6. KSUperDuty

Oddometer:
    Conveniently undated. Anywhere. Doesn’t look like a much older bike on the cover. Matches the bike pretty close.

598F03DF-D676-433C-A1DC-9FE3528D8852.jpeg
    Norman Foley likes this.
  7. KSUperDuty

Oddometer:
    Too right! But I think it’s the coolest thing! I’ve been riding several times a day, I’m terrible at it, and going slow is a ton of fun!
    Buschog and MT 007 like this.
  8. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, just wait till you think YOU can ride over anything. That`s when it get`s expensive.
    Buschog, Norman Foley and Huzband like this.
  9. Thumbster

Thumbster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got this link from RYP when I had a question on something. It’s links to Sherco workshop manuals and owners manuals. Should be relevant to scorpa also.
    http://shercousa.com/docs.html
    riabma77 likes this.
  10. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    KKeltner likes this.
  12. Thesolidman1

Thesolidman1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I know. It's a joke. And be forewarned, sounds like you have the Factory version? The spark plug they spec in the manual is wrong on that, also. Different reach.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  13. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, it just gets lost in the translation. Who needs accuracy in a manual.:rofl
  14. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found a rough but easy way to keep track of hours without a meter is to go by 2 stroke oil use.

Once you know how much fuel you burn per hour (about 1L for me), you can work out how much oil you will use per hour. Then just put some vivid marks on your oil bottle to mark each scheduled service.
    jonnyc21 and DyrWolf like this.
  15. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Ryan's back up to 700cc from an insistence on 450cc in the first year of the new clutch. I wrote a Techpub document for RYP in 2017. One thing arising from that investigation was how the the new clutch is smaller in diameter and rides higher in the oil sump. The former hot oil volume of 450cc would work, and that was what Pat was running a while as a holdover from the past. But that wisely was revised upward.

The oil volume/level isn't so picky/critical. You just need to have enough splashing around in there to lube bearings and gears and float and cool clutch plates. One can get away with 500cc to 700cc+. I picked 600cc out of the air and it's been fine for me for years. High oil levels can increase hydrodynamic drag.

The hardware on Shercos has been almost identical since 2017 (2016 Scorpa) and engine-wise it's almost entirely the new clutch and faster primary drive ratios (except the 2018 and later 125s where they slowed the primary to get away from pizza-size rear sprocket. Yeah there's the change of case paint and supposedly improved crank in 2018 or 2019, and the change to a much softer clutch spring under a lot more preload in 2019, but the fundamentals haven't changed much. It's a very stable, reliable design.

Definitely stick with gear lubes with wet-clutch additives. Maxima MTL 75 is a go to fluid for the right viscosity and clutch-related additives.

In super hot weather you can proportion up to half MTL 80 to up the viscosity to slow clutch engagement, but most riders stick with one oil all year. And that works.

Main bearings on Shercos are NOT lubed by tranny oil, but by premix drool like 99.8% of all two strokes. Not having the high velocity oil shear in two big main bearings and more oil volume result in the transmission oil lasting longer in Sherco/Scorpa and other brand bikes than in the GasGas Pro engines. If you are like most trials riders and don't heavily slip the clutch on every big obstacle, the oil can stay nice and clear enough up to a full riding season.

Just look at what comes out. If still clear wait longer to change it.

The Sherco drain screw being a case bolt is not the issue so much as skid plate backing rubber, which tends to swell over time from oil and from skid plate hard impacts and starts to push up toward the screw head. This will put a side load on wrench socket that can trip those will less feels for starting threads into cross threading.

The fix is simple. Shave off a big chamfer of rubber with razor blade (red edge in the photo). That'll keep the area free of lateral influence by swollen rubber:
    Cut.JPG

Number 1 in maintenance is Maxima FFT liquid filter oil, and don't be sparing with it. The engine will essentially last 'forever' when it's not eating grit sandwiches.

Suspension dogbones are simple journal bearings on Shercos, not needle bearings. They are very tough, but not sealed well and will eventually go dry, resulting in creaky noises when the suspension moves. I grease mine once a season.

The rest of maintenance is just the usual stuff, grease steering head bearings, swing arm pivot, wheel bearings, at least once, and oiling squeaky-dry pivots and making sure things don't fall off. And don't run your throttle pipe dry! Smear on a thin film of grease on the bars, then drip on some ATF and smear. Good to go for a year +!