Scorpion Yukon Jacket

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by bigborefan, Jan 22, 2015.

1. bigborefan

bigborefan Making new friends

Oddometer:
  2. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    I have an earlier First Gear jacket that has a neck gator like this one. Every wet/cold weather jacket should have one.
    My Scorpion gloves have held up well. Nice to have another viable choice.
  3. Poweranger

Poweranger Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had a Scorpion XDR Shock jacket, duece pants, and XDR Invasion pants going on 5 years now. Also the 700 helmet. Can't say anything bad about the gear. It fits well, has great simple features, and held up extremely well. Really great stuff for the money. I recently upgraded to a Gortex Klim jacket just to not deal with the removable waterproof liners.

Had this new 2015 Scorpion line up been out then I would have seriously considered it over the Klim.
  4. guitarplyr

guitarplyr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great jacket for the money. Only concern I would have not knowing much about scorpions design is the water proof, sounds like a similar design as gore but without the warranty. From what I've heard one of Klims designers went to scorpion, not 100% sure but this jacket definitely follows some cues from the badlands. Looking forward to reviews from riders.
  5. bigborefan

Oddometer:
    I think you're right. A certain Mr Q went over there. Forgot about that, good catch.

I had a Moose jacket once, it used eVent waterproofing. It worked great for a good five years, then lost it's WP. But I used it hard, dual sport, ADV riding, off-road. I got my monies worth out of it.

Anyone familiar with the armor in this Scorpion.

This Scorpion might be a nice jacket.
  6. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    In my opinion it's still on the high side...guess I'm under the poor man.:D

I've had 2 Scorpion helmets that have been pretty awesome, quality products.
    I'd have no hesitation getting one of these jackets, but then you've got Rev'it gear in the same price range. Maybe it comes to down to how each brand fits.
  7. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    It does look great. Nice job Q:clap
  8. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sas-tec is some of the best soft-armor out there. I think every piece they make meets the new level 2 requirement for transmitted force at various conditions (ambient, hot, cold).

Not as flexible as the d3o, but far better impact properties, even with much thinner pads.

http://www.sas-tec.de/en/home/
  9. pohnjarker

pohnjarker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    same here brother :rofl

it does look very nice
    I have a Scorpion helmet and gloves and will be replacing them with more Scorpion gear very soon...great stuff
  10. bigborefan

Oddometer:
    $550.00 is a big bite for anyone.
  11. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scorpion is a very active manufacturer that comes with new models and design every year.

Wait 1 year and I'm pretty sure you'll find this jacket for minimum 25% less somewhere on he Web.

1st tier manufacturers (or the ones who pretend to be) are more conservative and their gear is rarely discounted.
  12. nortoncat

nortoncat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was chatting with HiVizBrian from RevZilla on reddit and he provided me the following insight on the Yukon. I had asked him to compare it against the BL Pro;

It's funny you mention the Yukon AND the Badlands Pro. Scorpion's new designer use to work at Klim. ;-) Scorpion is taking themselves very seriously and making strides to become a serious player in the motorcycle gear market. If you take away the Armacore, Gore-Tex Pro Shell, and $900 price tag, you really end up with the Yukon. At its $550 price point you get one hell of a jacket. I'm not going to list the features because that would take too long, but you're getting a laminated waterproof shell, premium armor, excellent venting, 1680D textile in impact areas, and our favorite, YKK zippers. In our opinion, the Yukon is a homerun. For frame of reference, I'm in-between a Medium and Large in both jackets.
    For the ADVer that rides year-round and depends on his/her gear for survival in a mixture of elements and weather conditions, the Badlands Pro is worth the investment in my opinion. For riders that need 80%-85% of what the Badlands Pro offers without the $900 price tag, the Yukon is it.
  13. nortoncat

Oddometer:
    my yukon jacket arrived last night...
  14. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Give us some impressions please! Comments on sizing and the likes would be appreciated. Get some pics up too.
  15. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    I am curious about those as a replacement for the Gore-tex Klim stuff that does not fit me well
  16. nortoncat

Oddometer:
    I haven't gotten around to taking any pictures - will try and snap some tonight.

I must say - I am quite pleased with the armor provided _with_ the jacket. So often you read about jackets coming with sub-standard 'foam' back protectors or small armor. Happy to report that the SAS-tec back, elbow, shoulder, chest-protector, and even the supporting kidney belt feels very adequate for protection. I dont feel like I need to wear any additional armor. I'm a DS-convert...coming from track-riding so I like the feeling of being "armored-up."

The jacket is pure-shell with no mid/thermal layers. You provide your own shell. It does not feel as "substantial," in terms of the shell-material as say a Klim Badlands does, but I didnt expect it to. Upon first glance at the shell material you think "how on earth is this waterproof?" But, I traded emails with Scorpion USA and they gave me fairly robust information regarding the waterproofness - so time will tell on that topic. There is LOTS of vents to open on the lower and upper arm as well as the back.

One thing I'm curious about is which pockets are waterproof vs water-resistant.

Fit: I'm pretty svelte at 5'9" 150lbs. I ordered a small. The sleeves seem a touch long on me, but there are enough arm and waist adjusters to get the jacket to fit snug if you want it. At first it felt 'loose,' then I realized its just a shell and i was just wearing a t-shirt underneath. I adjusted appropriately and then it felt good. I suppose I wouldnt want anything as snug as my track-leathers while actually riding off-road! :rofl

What kinds of pics/questions do you guys want me to answer?

17. tokenboy

Oddometer:
    The sizing thing was a big one for me. I'm 6'1" and about 180lbs. I'd find myself between an M & an L. I'm going to talk to my local dealer about bringing a couple in to try out. I'm moving on from an original Rev'IT Cayenne Jacket/Ultimate Pant combo. I want the shell that does it all, no waterproof liners. That and after 11 years my current gear is miled-out.

I am concerned with the waterproofness, and like you exchanged a lot of emails with Scorpion. One of the things that sold me was the amount of information the provided and the candid nature they did it in. They genuinely want to make a good ADV jacket.

Some of my questions to them where:

- You say it is a little lose with just a t-shirt, but snugs up fine. I assume if you throw a decent base and mid layer on it will work quite well and keep you quite warm without being too bulky.

- How are the jacket cuffs? I am generally a short cuff glove guy, but when I wear the waterproof or winter gloves, want to tuck them in. I like the jackets with a zipper and velcro setup, set the velcro, but open the zipper to get the cuff in easily. The Scorpion guys tell me this is not the case, but the sleeve should have an adequate opening to get gauntlets in. Can you comment?

What color combo did you get? Did you get the pants? In the light combo the pants look to almost have white in the pictures? Is it really that light in person?

How is the pant length? Scorpion said they leave ample hem to adjust as per preference. I have longer legs and wanted to be sure they fit over MX boots fine.

Knee armour sits in place ok?

Just over all looking for real world impressions and opinions on the gear. What did you move to from the Scorpion? How does it compare? Where is it excelling, where is it falling short in comparison?

Thanks!
  18. nortoncat

Oddometer:
    The cuffs are hard to explain...they dont "open up" as much as a traditional jacket with zipper+velcro.

I will work through all of your questions tonight when I get home and try and post some pics to answer them!

pants: I didnt get the Yukon pants. I picked up a pair of Klim Traverse pants off of a forum-member here at a great price. I plan on using those pants with the Klim hip armor and then adding either some thor force knee pads or something like that. If the same Sas-tec armor is used in the Scorpion pants, I'm sure it will be of high quality.
  19. nortoncat

Oddometer:
    Alright... here are some pics.

Front
    [​IMG]

Back
    [​IMG]

3/4
    [​IMG]

A* SP-8 gauntlet inside of sleeve. This was DIFFICULT.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look how tight I had to cinch the sp-8 glove around my skinny wrists:
    [​IMG]

getting the gauntlet into the sleeve was not trivial. If you have larger wrists or a larger-padded upper on your gauntlet I doubt you're going or get it in underneath the sleeve. If you have a slim guantlet-upper, you can probably squeeze it in there.

I have alpine stars, dainese leathers, spidi h2out admiral full water/wind 1-piece suit, for reference. I liked the features of this jacket - its what attracted me to it. Unfortunately since its so new there is no 'real world' long term reviews on it so I took a flyer on it. The armor package is top notch and it has a lot of pocket and vents which I like. It appears to be well thought out - from the kidney belt (seriously, this is a HUGE benefit), to the straps that cover the arm vents so you're not exposing too much if you open the vents all the way. The neck gaitor is a nice touch if you're riding in cold/rain.
    stilrolz likes this.
  20. tokenboy

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

That does look tight on the cuffs. I generally where a Klim ADV glove which won't be a problem, but I have some short(er) cuff Knox Handroid's that may not make it in. Rain gloves will be over it appears.

Sizing looks generous for a small.

Is the jacket basically white, grey, and black or is the white a light grey?

I appreciate you taking the time on this.