1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Scorpion Yukon Jacket

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by bigborefan, Jan 22, 2015.

1. nortoncat

nortoncat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is no white. It's light gray.

At first I thought the jacket felt a little big even for a size small! But then I realized it was just a shell and after I put a mid layer and even possibly a cool weather layer then it would be snug inside kind of like how it supposed to be (in cold weather situations). I'd say the sizing style in general is American cut. Though I don't want my adventure riding jacket to fit like my Dainese track leathers. 😁
  2. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    How wind/cold proof is the shell? By that I mean if there is little insulation in it does the jacket feel cold? I understand you will need under layers etc. I normally use a heated jacket liner but the key is stopping the cold wind from penetrating.

I'm thinking it's pretty good given the laminated construction but you never know till you try it in the real world.

Like many I want a WATER PROOF shell, relying on a liner is stupid, especially since I don't use their liner and replace it with my heated one.

Thanks for the info so far.
  3. nortoncat

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden with the jacket yet and I probably won't get to until next week (traveling this wkend). There is little insulation, but it feels substantial in terms of the outer-shell and the inner armor/lining. Scorpion USA emailed me this during our back-and-forth:

[FONT=&quot]So we set a minimum requirement with two expectations:[/FONT]
    1) A 250 pound person sitting in a puddle for three hours…
    2) Hurricane force winds and heavy rain.
    [FONT=&quot]We decided on this:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Net result: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    - Main material is EXO-DRY. A 100% polyamide woven fabric of approximately 500 denier and a 3 layer laminate with 10,000mm waterproofness and 5,000 g/cm2 breathability
    - Abrasion zones are nylon filament yarns woven to a 1680 denier that survives over 6000 cycles of ASDM D 3884 Taber method. (Trust me, that’s a lot of cycles when it comes to fabric…)

Once I do a ride with the jacket I'll report back (early next week hopefully).

cheers!

4. Indyride

Indyride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just received a Yukon jacket yesterday, the pants a week ago. Will put them to commuting duty starting tomorrow. Pants have been ridden in for a week and so far very good for comfort and rain protection. The armor fits well and feels substantial, not really soft but conforms to your position. Putting on the jacket feels like putting on a suit of armor, again very substantial. I really like the adjustable Velcro straps on the arms, keeps armor in place. I got the grey and it is definitely light but there is enough darker grey and black material to help break it up and hopefully mask the eventual road grime. I ordered the large in both, for reference I'm 6', 36 waist, 34 inseam, around 180 lbs and carry a bit more weight in the thighs and seat, chest is 42". The pants have enough room for thinner shorts or thick long under wear, definitely no pants. Not a big deal for me as I have a locker room to change into uniform. The jacket is just right for either light shirt or polar fleece for layering with the waist/arm Velcro straps. Will report latter about comfort on the bike and commuting.
  5. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any updates after riding with the Jacket now?
  6. nortoncat

Oddometer:
    sadly work got in the way this week. hope to do some exploration with it this weekend.

7. nortoncat

Oddometer:
    Alright, sorry for my overly delayed response.

I had a good weekend of riding with the Yukon jacket. At first when i tried it on in my kitchen I hated the elbow armor. It didnt sit quite right on my arm and was actually hurting me a bit by being too stiff. I thought it was going to be a deal breaker. I fiddled around a little with the positioning, but still wasn't sure.

I took the jacket out for a ride anyways, I had on a t-shirt, long sleeve long thermal-type shirt, and then a fleece vest underneath the jacket. That was a snug fit with the chest-protector in. If I didnt use the chest-protector, not so snug. But I actually got kind of warm so I took off the vest and stuffed it in my GiantLoop bag.

Back to the jacket. I noticed after a little bit of wearing it that the right elbow pad felt fine - didnt even notice it, but the left one still irked me a little. This made me realize that I just had to place with the pad-placement and it would be fine. The trick is to lining up the sastec armor to the exact point where your elbow 'bends' when sitting on the bike. Once you get that sorted out - its all peachy.

I used the wind/neck-gaitor - it does a fine job of blocking the cold air from your neck - a nice touch! I was able to get the velcro around my lower and upper arms cinched pretty well and noticed little moving around. The back armor and chest armor together make the mid-section feel pretty stable too. The kidney belt is one of my favorite features of the entire jacket. Really takes the weight off.

I found myself exploring the pocket-options more. There are a TON so thats great. I wore it in coordination with my klim Traverse pants and together I thought it was a pretty solid outfit.

Im not sure if the Yukon is worth the ~550 price tag, I think time will tell. But I do like the jacket, how it fits, its theretical rain-proofness, and most imporantly [to me] its armor package. It's a keeper.
  8. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
  9. nortoncat

Oddometer:
    fwiw, I like the sas-tec armor more than the klim d30 armor.
  10. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I saw that yesterday. Good review and they like it! :clap

Me too. I have a Badlands Pro (actually on my second one) and just got a Scorpion Yuma for the hotter weather here. (Review is in the link in my signature and somewhere here on ADV) The SAS-Tec armor is exactly the same in the Yuma and the Yukon according to Scorpion.

The SAS-Tec feels a bit more "substantial" to me. More importantly though, it does not get as hard as the d3o does when it's cold. I'm also pretty sure the SAS-Tec in the Scorpion jackets is larger than the d3o in the Badlands. Maybe I should take them out for a side-by-side.
  11. TN Traveler

TN Traveler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Indyride, have you tried the pants with the vents open, was wondering how well they flowed air since all the vents are in the back, I have the Yosemite jacket, wanted better ventilation for summer, but was looking at the Yukon pants, I like the one piece design over the removable liner. I have over 4k miles on my jacket and no complaints, thanks
  12. nortoncat

Oddometer:
    I just did a weekend riding through the Jefferson National Forest (VA) with the Yukon. Day 1 was warm ~80, muddy and rocky. I had all the arm-vents open and the back-vents. Felt great!

Day 2 was rain, rain, and more rain. It kept me dry for the most part. I did notice some wet-spots along my sides about 3" below my armpits. Not sure how water got there. And of course on the bottom of my base layer, but no jacket is going to stop that unless you have a 360 zip to the pants!

I paired it with my Klim Traverse pants, which kept my legs 100% dry.
  13. Indyride

Indyride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No experience yet on the venting as our cruddy IN weather hasn't offered the opportunity yet. So far the combo has performed well...........but, I did get some wet arms(inside elbows) from the lower arm vents, in a heavy downpour during my commute. I've never had much luck with those water resistant zippers.
  14. TN Traveler

TN Traveler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a tourmaster transition 2 jacket with those zippers on the shoulders and down the top of the arm and they have never leaked, even riding in hard rains for hours, must be a different zipper.
  15. BurtWurst

BurtWurst n00b

Oddometer:
    I was finally able to take my Yukon jacket out in the rain after having it for 2 months. First off, the jacket is fantastic. It took a few weeks for it to really work in and become flexible enough to be comfortable, but it really is an amazing jacket. The only flaw I found with the jacket so far is the right arm seems to leek right at the elbow like Indyride had. I have contacted Scorpion about why that would happen and what they can do for me seeing as I'm taking a 4500 mile ride in less than 2 weeks. I doubt they'll be able to do anything that quick but I'll let you guys know what they say about the waterproofing. I also have the Yukon pants and they have no problems what so ever.
  16. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    i can't find Klim pants that fit well and I am hoping the Yukon's will be a good substitute?
  17. BurtWurst

BurtWurst n00b

Oddometer:
    What would you like to know about the pants specifically?
  18. BurtWurst

BurtWurst n00b

Oddometer:
    So in response to what is going on with my leaky Yukon jacket. I contacted Scorpion 2 days ago about the problem. I was asked to look inside the arm at the waterproof seams to see if there was any kind of peeling or folding that looked unusual. I told them that the base of the bicep vent zipper had started to peel back a little bit. I was told that my jacket was definitely defective and that mine was the first that they had encountered a warranty claim on a defective Yukon jacket. The customer service rep ended up having me send my old jacket in while simultaneously sending out a new jacket to replace it. :D Probably one of the best customer service experiences I've ever had. I doubt this is the norm but I wholeheartedly appreciate that they took my circumstance with my trip into account.
  19. Indyride

Indyride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. I'll check out the seams in mine. Thanks for posting the info.
  20. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    Most curious about how the "crotch area" and the zipper length there. ( Klim seems to think that shorter waisted and zippered is the way to go .I do not concur). I'd also like to know how the venting is and do the leg closures include a zipper AND velcro or just velcro. Lastly are the legs too wide or are they fitted?

thanks