Scorpion Yukon Jacket

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by bigborefan, Jan 22, 2015.

1. darkstarmoto

darkstarmoto Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer:
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. darkstarmoto

Oddometer:
    Just ordered the pants from Revzilla....we'll see how they handle a 5 dayer to the northlands above Ottawa and back in a few weeks.
  4. darkstarmoto

Oddometer:

Had a chance to wear my pants out on a ride finally and can answer some of those questions.

Not familiar with Klim gear but the waist/crotch area is not "low jean" cut, in my size it feels like bike pants should. Fit is not what I'd call European...but not super baggy like my buddies 1st gen Klim Dakars either. Waist is high, crotch is fully gusseted. The zipper is kinda short but the double hook "button" is pretty bullet proof. Venting is pretty good, the back of thigh zips are easy to manipulate while moving but the hip vents are kinda hard to use even when standing still (feels really stiff to zip up and down, I may lubricate the teeth before next ride to see if they improve). Bonus is the side pockets are mesh inside and if zips are left open, serve as additional venting. The cargo pockets are weird in a sense that when standing the slant cut is odd to put your hands in but the ingenuous part is when seated on bike they are in the perfect position to use without stuff spilling out. Haven't had the chance to rain test yet but I'm sure that will happen eventually. The lower leg closure is only Velcro, no zip and honestly I kinda worry about that in the event of a slide down the road. The armor is comfortable once it warms up, very flexible. The knee armor is very adjustable to get it to sit in the right place.

Side note, they are HEAVY!! I just changed over from 1st gen Rev'it Sand pants and those are super light in comparison (but probably wouldn't protect was well in a slide either).
  5. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the review of the pants. I was concerned about the lack of a zipper at the pant cuff. Velcro is well.. velcro and if there is not a gusset there than it seems like it could be a weak spot in the rain..

The fit sounds good though and it looks like it's down to these or trying the Aerostich stuff as it is the only other Gore-tex layer only style pants besides Klim and the super expensive top of the line Rev-it stuff for 900 bucks..
  6. darkstarmoto

Oddometer:
    So I got to put a long ride on the pants and have updated info:

IMHO they worked great!! Overall I really felt like I got good value for the money. They vent well, we rode into 80's and was pretty comfy until it got closer to the 90's then they felt hot. In the mornings it was in the mid 50's, I only had boxer briefs under and never felt too cold.

1.) I did continue to have issues with manipulating the hip vents...especially the left side one. I'm going to look closer at them to see why they are so damn hard to slide. The back of thigh vents were fine.

2.) The zipper hip pockets...the opening on them is hard to put your hands into. Without gloves it was still difficult to get my hands into them to dig out change etc...if the opening was just a bit longer they would open bigger.

3,) The cargo pockets are priceless!! Hold a ton of stuff and stayed securely closed at all times. They do have a dry bag type flap closure under the velcro, I don't know if they'd stay completely free of water in a long soaking downpour but they did for the 1 day of showers and 1 short downpour during my trip.

4.) Since I mentioned rain...they kept me completely dry during all rain events we hit. We stopped at a place and I sat down in a chair not realizing I was pressing on my Camelback and it proceeded to completely flood the cushion of the chair I was sitting in. I unknowingly sat in this puddle for about 10 minutes...when I stood up I finally realized what happened...backside was still dry!

5.) I'm still on the fence about the bottom leg closure, but I did find the 1 advantage of it not being gusseted was it was really easy to open to pull my moto socks up at a stop. The velcro never let loose during the pounding of some pretty technical riding. One note: while able to be closed over my Sidi Adv boots I think any one who had larger calves may find it tight to close securely. I think I have about average size calves for comparison. If they added more of a flap to the outer velcro strip it would probably give the pants more range of fit.
  7. nortoncat

nortoncat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    update: I rode in my Yukon Jacket + Klim Traverse pants combo this weekend through the Green Ridge State Forest (MD). Temperature hovered around 90-92F. Once I was moving - was fine! Granted I was relatively under the canopy of the forest but...with all of the vents open it was manageable.

This also depends on your heat tolerance...
  8. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast
    The Yukon jacket and pants are near the top of my list for the next gear purchase. And I am wondering what y'alls impressions of the gear are at this point after living with it for a while? :lurk
  9. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    nortoncat and others with longer term experience keep posting up, been very useful, thx.
  10. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    I tried a Yukon jacket on the other day and could not move it was so stiff I felt like batman (having to turn your whole body to look at something).... is this just me? or do others had a rigidity issue with it as well?
  11. 3dogrider

3dogrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just curious, where in Colorado did you try on the Yukon and did you get it. Thanks
  12. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    fay mayers south denver
  13. 3dogrider

3dogrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
  14. atomizer

atomizer Be here now

Oddometer:
    I've had the Yukon Jacket since last May and love it. Fits me better than the Klim Jackets.
    I'm 6'4 and 195lbs. Skinny and the XL fits like a glove. Has more of a euro slim fit than the Klim gear.
    The jacket breaks in nice after a couple weeks of riding.
    It is super stiff when you first wear it.
    The armor, chest protector and kidney belt make the jacket feel like a really well sorted out
    Pressure suit with tons of pockets.
    I feel really safe in this jacket.
    Did the Continental Divide ride in it from NM to Montana in every kind of weather. Did awesome...
    Colorado BDR in October and same thing.
    NM rubber chicken ride, monsoons, snow and 80 degree weather, no complaints...
    In massive rain storms I experience a little leaking in the arms near the top vents.
    I just sent it back to Scorpion and a brand new one just arrived in the mail. No questions asked.
    I'm now a fan for life.....
    Hoping they make the pants in a long. Would love to try those out also.....
    Cheers, Atom....
  15. kpd1999

kpd1999 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had any Klim gear they can compare to Scorpion stuff? Im very intrigued by the Yukon jacket, and possibly the Yukon pants IF they fit better through the legs than my new Badlands
  16. atomizer

atomizer Be here now

Oddometer:
    I would compare the Yukon Jacket to being in the same realm as the Badlands Jacket.
    I have not tried the the Yukon pants yet. I wish they made a tall size.
  17. TFC

TFC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    atomizer - what gloves do you use with your Yukon? My current gloves are all shorties and I can eventually get those under my Yukon cuffs. However, I'd like to get a pair of winter gloves that include cuffs....not sure how that will work with the Yukon though. Wishing they would have used zippers on the jacket cuffs.
  18. atomizer

atomizer Be here now

Oddometer:
    Ya the cuffs are hard to get over most gloves out there. 3 season weather I just use basic dualsport short gloves and pump up the heated grips if there is a chill.
    Still looking for a good pair of Winter gloves though. Most I have tried are the gauntlet style and they all fit over the jacket cuff fine. I think a goretex style is the way to go.
    Bottom line, I think any With the gauntlet style will work well with the Yukon cuffs....
  19. TFC

TFC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My sleeves are a tad long, thus I'd like to go under the jacket cuff if possible.
    Please post again if you find the perfect gloves for you.
  20. kpd1999

kpd1999 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Posted this in the new Badlands thread, so I thought I'd post it here as well:

So I went ahead and ordered a the Scorpion Yukon pants so I could do I direct comparison to the new Badlands pants which I just got (even though i'm not happy with the incident posted on here). I also ordered the Yukon jacket just in case I decide to keep the Yukon pants. They should be here tomorrow, so we'll see. Either way one brand is going back, I can't afford to keep both