Scorpion Yukon Jacket

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by bigborefan, Jan 22, 2015.

1. CreatureCore

CreatureCore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last black friday they where 40% off. Still regret not buying one to try on and see if its worth keeping.
  2. dwenglis

dwenglis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hate that I missed that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. dwenglis

Oddometer:
    Just saw that Revzilla has these on sale 20% off.
    kojack06 likes this.
  4. ripngrip

ripngrip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked one of these up from Revzilla last week, delivered on Friday. Initial thoughts are very positive, seems very good quality, materials, etc. Not as stiff nor as heavy as I thought it would be, but in a good way. I was a little nervous that it may be too heavy or cumbersome as I was going to use for sport touring, but not a problem. After a few rides, I'm sure it will soften up even more.

Fit for me is really good, more of a European fit, reminds me of my Rev' It gear in terms of fit. I ordered the large in grey, and I am 6'1", 185lbs, athletic build, ~43" chest, ~32-33" waist, long arms and legs. The jacket fits me perfect, nice long sleeves, lots of adjustment points, both with a t-shirt only underneath, and with adjustments loosened out with base layers under.

I have only ridden really briefly, but comfy on the bike, no rain yet, that is the big test. I rode with it on my wife's FJ09 and my C14, worked great in both riding positions.

The reason I got the jacket (and pants too, they should come next week) is that I was sick of carrying rain suits, pulling over to put them on, having it stop raining 5 mins later, etc etc. And with space being at a premium on long trips, be really nice to not have to lug rain pants and rain jackets. So my wife ordered the Rev'IT Horizon 2 set for women (hasn't come yet) and I went with the Yukon. $439 as I think it is on Revzilla now it was definitely worth it, initial impressions compare favourably to any of the more pricier brands.

Will try and post back after some longer trips/rain later this summer!
  5. shadowchrome

shadowchrome Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had mine for over a year now and have been very happy with it. I had the opportunity to crash test it (35mph wipe out on gravel) with a hard landing on my forearm/elbow. The armor did what it was designed to do (hardening on impact) as shown by a bruise the size of the complete pad! Externally on the jacket you would have to look very closely to see the lightest scuff. I have also ridden 300 miles in a very steady rain and stayed dry. I like the option of the zip off tall collar too.
    ripngrip likes this.
  6. Markus77

Markus77 n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought the jacket and pants last season and so far I've been really pleased with them. At first the jacket was a bit stiff but once you've broken it in it feels fine. Also really like the fit of this gear - I'm 6'1" 175lbs and got large in both the jacket and pants - they fit without being super baggy etc. I've ridden in temps from -2 celsius last fall to +32C in last week. Great cold weather gear, but it is hot in the summer when you're off road. Mind you, I think pretty much any jacket with good protection will be hot in the summer when in the dirt. The venting works well enough and overall it was fine. I've ridden in the rain twice so far with it and both times completely dry. At first I was a little worried about the use of velcro at the bottom of the pants, but actually now that is a feature I appreciate as in cold or wet weather you can secure the pants tightly over boots, but when it hot you can keep it looser and get a bit more airflow. If you are taller you can un-hem the pant bottoms in 5min to get extra length. Is it as good as the Badlands? Probably not. I've only ever tried the Badlands on in the store and haven't used it, but I'd say they feel similar in weight and protection etc. I hated the badlands pants just trying them on. Also, if I was on a major trip riding everyday I might be able to justify the cost of the Badlands but I'm lucky to get out off road maybe 5 - 10 times a season and for that so far I'm really pleased with the Yukon gear.
    stilrolz likes this.
  7. ripngrip

ripngrip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pants came today, and haven't ridden in them but sizing is great. Size large, and not too big, not too small. I am probably ~33" waist and I had to cinch the adjusters a little bit, but otherwise good. I have ~34" inseam and lengthwise they are ok, but I think since there is the extension panel I'll get a seam ripper and let the legs out the extra inch, should be perfect then.

But like the jacket seems good quality, amor placed well, and I just hope the waterproofing is as others have found (works).
  8. darkstarmoto

darkstarmoto Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer:
    OK so I can comment about hotter ambient now...rode 400 miles in low to mid 90's this past weekend slabbing after trip down South. Yeah, they are hot...I had all the vents open (the side pockets have mesh liner inside so they do vent like the hip vents). Not terribly uncomfortable, I did have to stand once in awhile to help air circulate, it also helped if I twisted my waist to either side to help direct more air into the vents. Overall still very satisfied, even had a few occasions to rain test and still waterproof. The only minor complaint would be that if I could adjust the leg velco to be looser I could have gotten some airflow up the pant leg, but even at the widest adjustment over my Sidi Adventure 2's I still couldn't get good air from the bottom.
  9. dwenglis

Oddometer:
    If anyone is looking for s size large in black there is one for sale new on eBay for $270ish. I'd have bought it myself if I hadn't just bought something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    stilrolz likes this.
  10. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    @ripngrip, any noteworthy updates, u still liking the pants and jacket?
  11. ripngrip

ripngrip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes! Very much so.

I had a chance to test the suit out under a variety of conditions over the summer, and concluded with a great trip across Canada (Vancouver, BC to Charlottetown, PEI) in all weather types.

The jacket and pants combo excel in cooler to warm temperature ranges, although it does also work in hotter temps. i.e. On our cross Canada trip, we rode in weather from ~4C to 35C (~40F-95F), dry heat, humid heat, sun, wind, light rain, heavy rain, etc. and the jacket and pants worked well in all.

No issues in the rain, had multiple days of varying rain, no leaks anywhere. The neck/storm collar is awesome, and really keeps the wind and rain out on cold days, but easily removed, stuffed in the rabbit pouch when it heats up. On cold days I layered up with wicking t-shirt, thin fleece layer, and thin wind blocking jacket (just an Eddie Bauer type wind/rain resistant jacket, use as base layer, wearing to dinner at night, etc) and it was great, no problems. I don't run a heated jacket or vest, but would work great with this setup.

In the heat, the direct vents worked well, and I find the set very comfortable until ~30C/86F. On a couple days where it went hotter than that, I used a gel cooling vest underneath the jacket and was fine. If I was doing a summer tour of Utah, around Moab, etc. I probably wouldn't pick this set, but for 85% of the time, and especially on a long tour with varying climates, it was great. And I am not a big fan of hotter than 30C/86F anyway, even in mesh, etc. I think part of that is due to the wind blocking of the Concours 14 fairing/windshield, not enough airflow/fresh air flow.

I found that when I stopped in really humid temps, especially ~30-35C (85-95F?) the pants got hot/sticky/uncomfortable fairly quickly (i.e. I wouldn't want to go walking in the sun in those temps for longer than ~10-15 mins) but riding was not a problem. The direct venting worked well, and not uncomfortable at all as long as moving. Also I did take the extra length out of the seam of the pants (5 mins with a seam ripper) and the length is perfect for me (6'1", 34" inseam).

Armor is hard and cold at the start of a cold day, but after ~5 mins warms up and conforms to the body, I don't notice it after that.

Only two pieces I don't/didn't use are the chest protector piece (I felt too much/overkill for the riding I do, annoying, I did try it on a day ride once, although it does feel quality, and if I was off road and worried about falling onto a rock, piercing by a branch, I could see it making sense) and the kidney belt. For me, I felt the kidney belt was a bit big for my waist, and also made the jacket sit a little too high. I think it is my seating position, I suspect it would work better for the sit up, arms out, adventure/dirt bike/trailie style position. I ride a Kawasaki Concours 14 and with the slight lean, the kidney belt feels weird/off.

So after maybe 10-12,000kms I am very happy, no issues with the suit, stitching holds up, everything great, bugs wipe off the light color fairly easily if you get to it right away. I suspect over time the light grey will become more of a dirty light grey, but that is not such a concern for me.

Thumbs up!
    DCrider likes this.
  12. ripngrip

ripngrip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And styling of course is subjective, but I think I look sort of cool, in a dorky kind of way. I feel like an astronaut with my white helmet ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  13. stilrolz

stilrolz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm your height and was your weight briefly, but am up to 195 / 34" waist. The weight ads a little to the waistline so I'm nervous about getting L vs. XL. Do you wear the pants over jeans ever and if so, how's fit? I'm also curious about putting the pants on over boots. I'm looking for video review showing the pants in more detail, but some are mainly jacket focused. I'm used to Oympia riding pants that zip all the way up the side and slip over jeans and boots with ease (commuter). Are these in that category or would you say they are more suited to all day touring/ADV riding with dedicated base layers?
  14. ripngrip

ripngrip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'1" and usually fluctuate between ~185-195, and usually ~32-34 inch waist, got the size large and it fits perfect. I think it would likely fit up to ~36" inch waist with the adjusters out.

And they are meant more for all day touring with base layers, not overpants. They have velcro on the lower legs but I don't think you could pull them on and off over boots (or it would be annoying/difficult).

You might be able to fit jeans under, but likely uncomfortable. I wear with just underwear and/or long underwear, and they fit like a relaxed fit, lots of room to move, no tight spots, etc. but I don't think it would work with jeans under (maybe thinner pants, but again, not ideal).
    stilrolz likes this.
  15. stilrolz

stilrolz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great tip. I found it on eBay and ordered. Price on what I found was $370 though. Still almost $200 off retail.

Also ordered pants from Revzilla. Hope to have the set by Friday for a weekend trip.

I also saw an XL jacket for the same price (gray).
  16. RJAMT

RJAMT Who remembered the winch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Yukon jacket and pants; both size large. I'm 6' 175 and they fit pretty good. The pants are a good length when standing but maybe a bit short when on the bike. There is a good 2 inches room at the bottom to let them out if I decide to. I don't like how the liner material kind of bunches up at the bottom of the leg. It makes it difficult to get my foot through since I'm afraid I'll break the stitching. I haven't but it just doesn't feel good. Of course, I could just open the velcro before putting on since I have to do that to put the boots on anyway.

Bad: Got them from Revzilla and right away the zipper broke on the pants. The slider just came right off the top of the zipper. Revzilla replaced them promptly and no issues with the new pair. Nice customer service Revzilla!

Good: That zip-off storm collar is fantastic! Why don't all jackets come with that? The armor is great and there was enough adjustment range to put it where I wanted. Lots of vents and adjustments to make the jacket fit me. Also love the included kidney belt and chest protector. I rode over an hour in 40 degree rain this weekend and it kept me dry with one caveat addressed next.

Concern: Since I knew it was pouring rain I made sure all 9 vents were zipped up. Once on the road for a bit I felt some cold water on the inside of my right elbow. I pulled over and sure enough, the zipper pulled up another couple teeth. After that I stayed dry. Did I just fail to cinch up that forearm vent properly since it is new and stiff or did it work loose? It ends right at the bend of my arm so could it have loosened with my arm bending and straightening? Hmm, I'll have to keep an eye on that.
    DCrider and stilrolz like this.
  17. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had that fucking pants zipper pull off twice now on those pants. Can't seem to get a response from Scorpion now on getting them fixed again. They took them back the first time and sent me new pants. Now these have the same zipper problem but crickets from S.
  18. RJAMT

Oddometer:
    Sounds like maybe a substandard zipper was used? Guess I better treat it gently which I can but it is annoying if my "armor" pants need gentler treatment than anything else in my closet.

I have an Aerostich one piece I use for commuting to work and long highway days. This Scorpion is to replace my Olympia Expedition 2-piece. That suit has such huge vent panels that it's basically a mesh suit. That means it isn't waterproof and I have come to hate hauling a rain suit on trips "just in case". Hence the Yukon.

If the pants zipper holds up and the arm vent stays closed I'll be happy. It fits me, is breaking in nicely, very well armored and comes with plenty of value add extras such as the kidney belt, chest protector and storm collar.
    slane6 likes this.
  19. RJAMT

Oddometer:

UPDATE: I've used it more now and still love the jacket. The pants though aren't doing so well. I'm starting to get annoyed at my feet catching on the extra material at the bottom of each leg due to the extra liner material. Not a huge deal but I'm getting tired of not being able to just pull the pants on. It always feels like I'm going to tear out the hem or something. Also the stupid zipper broke AGAIN! This time I actually saw the slider stop pop off and fly across the floor. I managed to avoid pulling the slider off and can repair the zipper since I picked up the stop. I was just zipping my pants up like I've been doing for decades. A zipper has one simple purpose and if it can't do it then it is junk. Two pair of Yukon pants and two zippers broken the exact same way. These are the only pants I've had this happen to in over 50 years so I'm quite certain it is Scorpion's fault.
  20. stilrolz

stilrolz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had my set for a few months, but have seen very limited riding time over the winter. Even then, I've only worn the Yukon set once on a weekend trip to visit friends (1 hour each way, road time only). Today I geared up for a 6 hour round trip meet-up (Moonshine Lunch Run / Illinois ) and the ZIPPER on the pants came apart. I am always careful to latch the pants before zipping so it wasn't due to any real pressure. Just slipped apart. It was impossible to force the zipper back together since it was never supposed to separate and there's no plastic tab at the bottom like on a jacket zipper.

I ended up popping off three teeth at the bottom of the left side. I could then re-zip the pants just a an inch or so, put the pants on, hook the latches, and then zip it the rest of the way. At least I could use the pants today. By the time I returned home, the zipper pull was still holding together the two sides, the it was no longer "zipped" above or below the zipper pull. I had to zip them down and back up again to get the zipper to mesh again, but now I assume it won't hold. Shorty after I also noticed a hole in the left pocket mesh.

I've barely use these pants and it's really disappointing. At this point, this was the nicest gear I've ever scraped together the money for. There's so much about this jacket/pants set I really like and it feels solid, but (wow) this zipper failure issue seems fundamental. I'll be calling the Monday to talk about a replacement / repair. I hope they aren't just swapping in a the same component and they've sorted out a real fix.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk