Scotland for the Brave.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Frey Bentos, Apr 25, 2010.

1. roadholder

roadholder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great trip. Hope you said hello to "TV John"! :lol3

[​IMG]
  2. macgart

macgart johnny mac

Oddometer:
    This is some funny shit! Great writing and pics.

Some day I have to go to Scotland. :beer :slurp

Keep it coming.
    Frey Bentos likes this.
  3. Frey Bentos

Frey Bentos Probably doing a drawing. Or scratching my arse.

Oddometer:
    I headed off into the early morning. It was going to be a lovely day. That early morning mist with a bit of a chill to it. There was a light mist in places promising to burn off to reveal a deep blue sky.

I must say though that when the Jocks biuld a bridge they biuld a bridge. I am presuming there were a few Paddies showing them what to do.. Ahem. Anyway, the bridge.

[​IMG]

This by the waqy is the set up for my video camera. It gives a good high viewpoint although it is a little obvious to any Old Bill/Peelers/Coppers/ Smokies and um, er, well, you get the idea...
    [​IMG]
    I was woried about the bloody thing coming loose as it is mounted on a home made contraption that I done made myself. Touratech have nice mounting kits but they want a testicle and half a square yard of scrotum skin for them. They can fuck right off.

The road looping around the island was pretty damn fine. It swooped rather pleasingly and I was concentrating on it more than the scenery. Iwas doing the island in a clockwise direction and didn't think of the video camera until I was well up towards Uig.

Heres a couple of vids. I have only put in a few snippets of the road. me poor wife has had to sit through an hour of this shite.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1oMUpvmOlOM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1oMUpvmOlOM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Terranewbs likes this.
  4. Frey Bentos

Oddometer:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AoQk21jSitg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AoQk21jSitg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Some of Skye. When I could tear myself off the road long enough to take a shnap or two.
    It really is a beautiful place. And that morning, with the sky a blue deeper than the eyes of a ten dollar whore, it was the only place to be.
  5. Frey Bentos

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got to Uig and had a Lahvley cap o tea in a wee house stroke tea shop. There were loads of tourists about and it was busy and quiet at the same time.
    [​IMG]
    This is the tea shop house thing.

It was here that the old guy in the Tea shop suggested the Applecross Pass. It seemed to be on a wee back road that I had been looking at anyway, It was God moving in mysterious ways really. So I supped up, saddled up and fucked off. In the general direction of the way I wanted to go. However, the road had it's own mind and started to meander off in directions of it's own and visit places that were not strictly on it's way.*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OF-9GfFmPX4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OF-9GfFmPX4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

*with apology's to Flan O'Brien.
    Terranewbs and joenuclear like this.
  6. StevenF

StevenF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good read so far, keep them coming! :D
  7. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
    Nice.

Still waiting for pics of the first night's B&B landlady.

:lol3
    sophijo likes this.
  8. tenderfoot

tenderfoot PRJ

Oddometer:
    Have you had the opportunity to sample some of the local whiskey.? I was humbled to be in the true source of such a revered drink.
  9. ErikY.

ErikY. Here, Now.

Oddometer:
    Among other nice things, I like your taste in books. Iain Banks is one of my favourite writers right now.
    Frey Bentos likes this.
  10. Frey Bentos

Oddometer:
    Cheers chaps.
    @Direwolf..I'm a happily married man and want to stay that way. Photographic evidence of foxy landladies would not go down like a five dollar hooker ina room full of sailors, so to speak. That particular image of that set of long, long legs and arse you could bounce pennies off wrapped up in sprayed on wranglers remains only etched into my frontal lobes...

@tenderfoot..Afraid that the only drink i like is Southern Comfort . Shluuuuurp.

@EriCKY.. Ian Banks fucking rocks. As does his other work under Ian Banks. The Wasp Factory is a definate must read.
  11. macgart

macgart johnny mac

Oddometer:
    that's funny :lol3 :lol3 and true!
  12. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    :rofl

Oh, and telll Tripadvisor about the shitty hotel, they deserve to go under by the sound of it.
  13. Frey Bentos

Oddometer:
    Ah it wasn't that bad really.......
    If all the hotels in the world were the same it wouldn't be such an adventure would it?
  14. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love the title "Scotland for the Brave"......Then what is England , Wales and Ireland for?
    Lets hear some names.

Wales for the whiny

Ireland for the Irksome

England for the not always on time.

:1drink
  15. Frey Bentos

Oddometer:
    It was because of the "haunted" hotel room. I was (mostly) very brave......:eek1
  16. ErikY.

ErikY. Here, Now.

Oddometer:
    I've read 3 of his since ust discovering him, including the one in your pic. A Scotsman too!
  17. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired

Oddometer:
    Great stuff. As I watched one of the vids I was thinking this would be a bad place to meet a bus, and there one came by! :eek1
  18. Frey Bentos

Oddometer:
    Locals are pretty good on the roads. Other tourists are a fecking danger though.
    The camera is mounted on the right bar and makes it look like I am waaaaay over in the middle of the road.
  19. StevenF

StevenF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where's the next part? :D
  20. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired

Oddometer:
    I sat on the back of a friends Adventure as we ran like loons around Paris a few years back. narrow roads out there in the countryside made it look like we were going to have some sore knees.:lol3

And we were on the right side of the road!:rofl